The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
"The History of the Ovation Guitar" book

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

rick endres
Posted 2006-10-14 11:44 PM (#236307)
Subject: "The History of the Ovation Guitar" book

Well, it only took me a decade to get this book. It was one of those things I was going to do when I got "a round tuit." Let me tell you, it's hard to find ROUND tuits. Square tuits, rectangular tuits, no problem, but round ones are tough.

It was going to be a Father's Day present this year, and after waiting from early June to mid-October for Amazon to get it in, I called Elderly Instruments yeaterday and had it before lunch today.

Anyway, what a book! I was leafing through it and a lot of memories came back. Mac Davis?! Bobby Goldsboro?!! Can you say, "Forgotten, but not gone?" My visual scan was brought to a screeching halt on page 95 when I saw a picture of a lithe, lissome young blonde beauty cradling a 1982 Ovation Collector's Edition. I was like, "Whoa, who is this BABE?" I put on my readers so I could REALLY see and was not surprised to see it was Nancy Wilson of Heart, one of the premiere rock goddesses of all time (who STILL looks great today, IMHO). It was even more gratifying to see another pic on 116 of Nancy in concert (in spandex and high boots, no less!). (sigh!) Ah, for the good old days, when Nancy was still single and playing Ovations!

Anyway, those two pics alone were worth the price of admission. Seriously, though, this is one heck of a book. I'm going to savor reading it slowly. It brings back memories of why I got an "O" in the first place. I bought my first one in 1971, and my latest one this July. The first time around I remember all the "canoe paddle" wisecracks and smart remarks. They'd shut up when they'd hear me play it, though. Then they wanted to know where THEY could get one!

One thing I will say-- and I'm sure everyone here would agree with me-- is that we owe an enormous debt to Charlie K. for getting the roundback ball rolling in the first place, and to Bill for KEEPING it rolling. Thanks to both of you gentlemen for providing us with this passion, these guitars that we all love so much. It's a debt we can't repay.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Northcountry
Posted 2006-10-15 12:08 AM (#236308 - in reply to #236307)
Subject: Re: "The History of the Ovation Guitar" book

Yeah Baby!

I have a feeling it is that image of Nancy on stage that is imprinted in all the men's minds in this site and although we do not know it.... it is that image that keeps us questing for ovations because we know we can't have Nancy!

Perhaps that is a logical explaination for the 40 mile stare you always see from the guy's at a photo op...with a pile of Ovations.

Great Book and a very interesting company! It is an honor to own and play a few of these great "American Made" instruments.

Randy
cholloway
Posted 2006-10-15 7:42 AM (#236309 - in reply to #236307)

I could've dated Nancy Wilson one night back in 1978.

Heart was in town for a show and I didn't have a date with anyone else! :D
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-10-15 8:55 AM (#236310 - in reply to #236307)

Originally posted by rick endres:
It's a debt we can't repay.
Nevermind what Rick says, CWK, after 9 Ovations, I think we're square.
edensharvest
Posted 2006-10-15 10:26 AM (#236311 - in reply to #236307)

One thing I will say-- and I'm sure everyone here would agree with me-- is that we owe an enormous debt to Charlie K. for getting the roundback ball rolling in the first place, and to Bill for KEEPING it rolling.
The thing about "roundback" balls is they're much easier to get to roll than square ones...

(at least we amuse ourselves :D )
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-10-15 12:28 PM (#236312 - in reply to #236307)

One of the first books I read after I joined the OFC. Now I just read stuff on the internet. I found it in Barnes and Noble while I was waiting for the women in the family to shop. I had to wait so long I almost had the book read before I bought it. It made a rainey afternoon in Portland quite pleasant.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2006-10-15 5:07 PM (#236313 - in reply to #236307)

OK, so there's nothing else, but 10 years on and it's desperately in need of an update, or better yet a complete re-write.
philmax
Posted 2006-10-15 5:42 PM (#236314 - in reply to #236307)

I had been trying to get a copy of the book for several months, even bought one on ebay, but it went backorder. I hosted the SE Gathering and the first person to walk in the door, Mr Cholloway, hands me a copy and says "this is yours, keep it" now if I can pry it out of my wife's hands, I'll read it!

Thanks Collin! Phil
cliff
Posted 2006-12-08 4:07 PM (#236315 - in reply to #236307)

On my SECOND trip to GuitarCenter today (LONG story, and my b.p. is just starting t'come back down, so I won't go "into it"), I saw a softcover version of "the Book" for like $4.99.

If anybody thinks they might want it, lemme know, and the next time I'm in there for some self-abuse (and it's still there), I'll pick it up for ya'.

I'm assuming it was used, but I didn't go over and "scope it out", as:

A.) I don't need yet another copy in my bookcase.

3.) I just got finished beating a refund out of the clerk and I didn't feel like giving 'em back any money right then & there . . .

LemmeKnow.
MWoody
Posted 2006-12-08 4:51 PM (#236316 - in reply to #236307)

I believe the update of the Book is well in order. I would like to volunteer to have my custom order as the Cover as well.

Maybe a 1/2 page write up about the Ovation Fan Cult to boot!
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-08 5:30 PM (#236317 - in reply to #236307)

Originally posted by MWoody:
Maybe a 1/2 page write up about the Ovation Fan Cult to boot!
"... I'd like to thank the ovation dealers, ovation distributors, the ovation repair people, the ups trucks that deliver ovations, the company that makes the boxes they ship in, anyone who has ever played an ovation, anyone who has ever seen an ovation, anyone who has ever heard the word ovation, and well, I guess that's just about it ..."
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-12-08 5:53 PM (#236318 - in reply to #236307)

I'd like to thank former owners who were willing to part with the book. If not for them, those of us who do want it wouldn't have it. The book was the inexpensive part. Buying the Elite on the cover to go with the book was a bit more.
Old Tele man
Posted 2006-12-09 10:42 AM (#236319 - in reply to #236307)

...how about a Volume II version?

...which (obviously) portends a Volume III, IV, etc.
cliff
Posted 2006-12-10 12:18 PM (#236320 - in reply to #236307)

Update:

If the GuitarCenter "bargain basement" copy is still there, it will be going down to the "Land of Sunshine & Sharks" and MasterMuzza . . . .
Slipkid
Posted 2006-12-10 12:41 PM (#236321 - in reply to #236307)

He come from da land downunder!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)