The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : <12 3 4567>
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
New Ovation preamp announced today

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

MidiBuzz
Posted 2008-09-17 9:34 AM (#20348 - in reply to #20298)
Subject: Re: New Ovation preamp announced today

MP3 and "high-quality digital recorder" don't go together.
I like the idea, but it sure would be nice to have an option to record in at least 44.1K wav (even if via optional external memory).
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2008-09-17 9:53 AM (#20349 - in reply to #20298)

great idea jam a SD card slot on there too make the screeen even smaller to read and oh yeah take all the preamp controls off since it is no longer a preamp.

if you need a recorder look at the olympus ls 10
cliff
Posted 2008-09-17 10:08 AM (#20350 - in reply to #20298)

". . . if you need a recorder look at the olympus ls 10 . ."

I was thinking exactly the same thing . . .
an4340
Posted 2008-09-17 10:11 AM (#20351 - in reply to #20298)

http://www.line6.com/backtrack/specs.html

Line six has entered the fray of simple loopers. Ovation beat them by a day.

If these two companies are doing it, there will be a future for this kind of thing.

Now I got try them.
edensharvest
Posted 2008-09-17 10:30 AM (#20352 - in reply to #20298)

Originally posted by alpep:
great idea jam a SD card slot on there too make the screeen even smaller to read and oh yeah take all the preamp controls off since it is no longer a preamp.

Exactly what I was thinking. Heck, you could even run a micro-SD slot, since those go up to I believe 8GB now too. That would make it ultimately easy to use, since you don't even have to plug it in. An ability to transfer data from built-in memory to flash without USB connectivity would be nice as well.
Omaha
Posted 2008-09-17 10:30 AM (#20353 - in reply to #20298)

It seems to me that as more and more features get built into onboard pre-amps, the need for some sort of modular system becomes increasingly important.

You shouldn't be constrained to a particular model just because you want a particular pre-amp feature. You should be able to mix and match at will.

I suppose within 10 years all preamps will be fully digital and all the features will be software selectable.
MidiBuzz
Posted 2008-09-17 10:57 AM (#20354 - in reply to #20298)

Originally posted by edensharvest:
Originally posted by alpep:

Exactly what I was thinking. Heck, you could even run a micro-SD slot, since those go up to I believe 8GB now too. That would make it ultimately easy to use, since you don't even have to plug it in. An ability to transfer data from built-in memory to flash without USB connectivity would be nice as well.
I think Al was being facetious. No need to shrink the display. A micro-SD slot is small and does not even need to be on the front panel.
Ahh, it's fun to design someone else's product and blithely use their engineering resources. ;)
The idea of a BUILT IN recorder is great; it helps to capture the spontaneity that is so much the magic of music.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2008-09-17 11:15 AM (#20355 - in reply to #20298)

I too agree that for "recording" there are recorders. Olympus unit is an excellent choice.

But for practice, noodling, writing on the back porch, this little thing is cool if it works as described. I can't think of how many times I've seen someone play a riff and then tried to figure it out. Sure would have been easier if I could hand them my guitar and say "hey play that riff again" and then I have it to work with.

-mkb
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-09-17 11:34 AM (#20356 - in reply to #20298)

Al being facetious?? No way!
John B
Posted 2008-09-17 11:36 AM (#20357 - in reply to #20298)

I personally wish that they would just put a good, dependable pre-amp in their guitars. Anything more than a 3 band EQ and maybe a tuner are just "more things to go wrong" in my opinion. Like Cliff said when we were talking about the V.I.P, they should put all of this stuff in some sort of a pedal. This way, those of us who don't want all of the 'extras" don't have to mess around with it, or more importantly, pay the extra cost that it adds to the guitar.
Phil Wong
Posted 2008-09-17 12:26 PM (#20358 - in reply to #20298)

Please forgive me for saying this. I undersatand that you will be able to record yourself playing especially when your creative juices are flowing.
Except that if you are noodling with the guitar for lack of a better word. you come up with an amazing riff that just hits you at the time. Then you think great this guitar can record it.
But what happens if you forget to hit the record button? I think most people don't sit down thinking "I'm going to create an amazing riff now,Id better hit the record button first".

Phil
Slipkid
Posted 2008-09-17 12:29 PM (#20359 - in reply to #20298)

Ahh yes... there will always be the "human factor". They just can't seem to invent their way around that little problem.
Phil Wong
Posted 2008-09-17 12:58 PM (#20360 - in reply to #20298)

Slipkid to the rescue!!! :D You saved me from being thrown to the wolves. :)
an4340
Posted 2008-09-17 1:04 PM (#20361 - in reply to #20298)

Those pesky humans, always cocking things up.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-09-17 1:17 PM (#20362 - in reply to #20298)

Some of us spend our lives disproving that anything is really "idiot proof."
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-09-17 10:48 PM (#20363 - in reply to #20298)

Here is the website for the Ovation iDea

Yes OMA, you can swap over your preamp.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2008-09-17 11:08 PM (#20364 - in reply to #20298)

A little odd that the guitar pictured on the "songwriting" and "lessons" pages isn't even an Ovation... much less the one they are trying to market.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-09-17 11:30 PM (#20365 - in reply to #20298)

Thanx for the info... So I can swap it out with my one OP-30...
Now all I have to do is wait for them to become cheap!
Cuz I'm sure that the iDea costs more than the guitar that I would put it in is worth. :rolleyes:

And for those of us with depleting eyesight, that little screen really oughta be a challenge.
[We didn't design these things for you Old Farts!]
dvd
Posted 2008-09-17 11:45 PM (#20366 - in reply to #20298)

Cool, on playback you can slow down the tempo without effecting the pitch.

And Richard, what makes you think can swap this preamp into another guitar? Looks like it's got an added 1/8" mini-jack on the back of the guitar.

The tuner looks nice and readable.
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-09-18 12:01 AM (#20367 - in reply to #20298)

I linked to a lesson on the iDea site and the instructor was using an iDea - and there was another Ovation on a stand in the background.
Northcountry
Posted 2008-09-18 12:18 AM (#20368 - in reply to #20298)

I am not sure if actually understand exactly what this is but I can see it might be nice if I have an idea to record it up quick for later use. But other than that, having a built in professional recording ability in my guitar? That is nice but there are so many good recording devices now and the affordable home computer systems that turn your basement into a million dollar studio for a song comparitively....I think this is like taking a guitar neck and mounting it on a digital recorder? It is becoming overkill for me but I am too old and out of touch to understand marketing.

I suppose you could put an octaves worth of keys on a touch screen, have a pop-out, pull-up microphone/pick holder, a built in drum machine/cell phone, and a combination dry ice dispenser/fan unit to not only give the special smokey floor effects when you play stairway to heaven but it will keep your balls cool whilst doing so.

Keyboards are geetting this way for me as well.
There are so many combinations of sounds possible you could not explore them all in a lifetime. you do not have enough hands or fingers to be able to control all the features these devices have available now. Like the human brian you only end up using 10% of what these things are capable of.
I guess I do not understand this new package but it is a good selling point to the.... techno diverse, modern, electronic genius, youth markets, of today...... But even then only if this is possible to manufacture for a price that is not too out of whack. You will get the younger crowd to go for it.

I say make a pocket size unit that you can plug your guitar or mic or bass or keys into give it a tuner and MP3 capacity with a built in video game capacity and you'll outsell Sony all day....... and keep the guitars on the guitar wall and out of the electronics department at the music store.

but what do I know ..........I earn my living so I can buy great guitars from Al.
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-09-18 12:22 AM (#20369 - in reply to #20298)

This Website says you can swap over the preamp from a range of others (which it lists).
dvd
Posted 2008-09-18 12:29 AM (#20370 - in reply to #20298)

cool, thanks!
mattsmith
Posted 2008-09-18 12:40 AM (#20371 - in reply to #20298)

I did the press release and have been a beta tester... this thing is very very cool... 100 min of onboard rec time. it will retro fit to any kidney shaped pre. it has a looper, the ability to slow down the mp3 file up to 60 percent. you can input from an mp3 player or cd player with a built in eighth inch jack on the bottom of the guitar, and the user can choose to record with the built in and preamp input, or the pre and the 8th inch input for jamming with ipods or cd or any other inst like bass or other guitar! usb connectivity means you can upload or download your files the pre is recognised as a removable device... the guitar is supported with a website with content provided by workshop live with lessons, pdfs for the lessons, backing tracks with pdfs .
Everyone at the press event was very impressed. I think the mothership may have a bonified hit on thier hands... alot of R&D and development went into this one...IMHOP the got it right!!!
mattsmith
Posted 2008-09-18 12:43 AM (#20372 - in reply to #20298)

and the biggest brightest tuner yet
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)