The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT - Potentially Bad News From My Doctor...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Jeff
Posted 2006-10-25 12:58 PM (#234811)
Subject: OT - Potentially Bad News From My Doctor...

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with (stage 3) colon cancer. After surgery, my oncologist declared me cancer free with an excellent prognosis. As a precaution, I underwent six months of intense chemotherapy to better insure my long term recovery. I have remained cancer free ever since. However this past Monday, after some routine CT scans, my oncologist said they reveal eveidence suggestive of a recurrence of cancer. Frankly, he didn't seem to be overly optimistic, and in fact led me to believe by his demeanor--and by things that were NOT said--that the outlook could be rather bleak. Other tests are being planned to determine for sure whether or not any cancer has returned. Just six months ago, I had a PET scan, which is considered the gold standard of cancer-detecting scans. It came back clear, and my oncologist said I was progressing so well, that he cut my visits back from every 90 days, to twice a year. I can't imagine how things could change so dramatically and so quickly, but I suppose that's what makes cancer such an insideous disease.

I'm 46 years old, and a born-again Christian; I don't fear death. I don't even fear the potential pain leading up to death, IF that happens to be the Master's plan, because I know Who awaits me on the other side. But, here's where the rubber meets the road for me: I'm just not ready to say goodbye to my beautiful wife and children. I know if God calls me home, He'll take care of them. I'm just not ready to relinquish them yet! God has graciously given me so much to live for, and I WANT to live! So, I'm asking all of you that are inclined to do so to please go boldly before our Heavenly Father, and ask Him to grant me this admittedly selfish request, and allow me to grow old with my wife, and see our kids grow up and start families of their own. This is all that matters to me. Thank you all.

God bless you...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2006-10-25 1:09 PM (#234812 - in reply to #234811)
Subject: Re: OT - Potentially Bad News From My Doctor...

You can be sure that I will, Jeff. And for your family as well.
Your faith and strength in this situation is inspiring and I hope I can face that kind of situation as courageously.

John.
pzavislak
Posted 2006-10-25 1:26 PM (#234813 - in reply to #234811)

Praise the LORD that He has called you and made you His own. It is so sweet to hear you living fearlessly in the face of death, knowing that you should soon be face to face with the King. I'm praying for you, brother. Your home in heaven will be an infinitely better experience than anything we have here on earth, when you will be united with Christ, experiencing the full glory of God with the heavenly host. I'm also praying that the Lord can work miraculously in your body and that you will be given the grace of more time on earth to build up your family. Always rest in the Lord. Delight in Him.
JeffreyD
Posted 2006-10-25 1:31 PM (#234814 - in reply to #234811)

Another bro' at my church just went through the discovery of cancer. Prognosis was bad from start to finish. We all started praying for him and when he finally got to the surgery, they removed one pollup, and declared it all a false alarm.

Sorry...I don't buy that....God made it, he can fix it. I will pray for your healing too, but you have the pefect attitude that Shadrack et al had.

"....our God CAN save us. But even if He doesn't, we will not bow...."

Praying for you and your family Jeff...

Jeff
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2006-10-25 1:40 PM (#234815 - in reply to #234811)

Brother Jeff--
You've got mail; I'm definitely going to stand in the gap for you.

"Some trust in horses, and some trust in chariots, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God."

--Karen
Jason_S
Posted 2006-10-25 1:46 PM (#234816 - in reply to #234811)

jeff,im praying for you and your family,i admire you courage,it takes alot to deal with something like that. i dont fear death either,my biggst fear is leaving my loved ones and friends behind. hope for the best but expect the worst..thats what the father at my church told me when i went in for brain sugery 3yrs ago..my prayers are with you jeff..jason
Trader Jim
Posted 2006-10-25 1:55 PM (#234817 - in reply to #234811)

Jeff, I will also be praying for you and your family. He has this whole thing already worked out according to His will. Be comforted that He called you to the fold. That is also my biggest fear, being taken before I see my son grow, as I didn't have him untill I was 48 yrs old. He has become the most precious thing on this earth to me. Keep the faith, God will take care of the rest.

Proverbs 3: 5-6
Paulcc1
Posted 2006-10-25 2:07 PM (#234818 - in reply to #234811)

Jeff I will pray for you and your family. Our God is an awesome God
Paul
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-10-25 2:17 PM (#234819 - in reply to #234811)

Several years ago, my wife had a similar experience to what JeffreyD described above. I'll never forget seeing the C word in the radiology report. Hope yours turns out as well, Jeff. Although your faith in God will certainly help, self-help will, too. Fight for every minute you can spend with your family.
Omaha
Posted 2006-10-25 2:27 PM (#234820 - in reply to #234811)

No matter what happens, I am sure that you will be an inspiration to your family and those around you.
an4340
Posted 2006-10-25 2:54 PM (#234821 - in reply to #234811)

My wife and I just went thru a scare with ovarian cancer. Without going thru the whole story, last night she was declared cancer free and we just monitor it. I wished it was me instead of her. Your wife probably feels the same way.

The only advice I have, is live a good life and do what you can.
TRboy
Posted 2006-10-25 3:46 PM (#234822 - in reply to #234811)

Jeff,Through the power of prayer I truly believe that if we all pour out our hearts to God asking Him to grant your request to grow old with your family, that He will lovingly respond and take the cancer from you.

Hold your family close and keep the faith....
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-10-25 5:38 PM (#234823 - in reply to #234811)

Jeff - the determination to live that you expressed in your post will help you beat this thing. My family and I will be praying for you.

Mike
FlySig
Posted 2006-10-25 6:03 PM (#234824 - in reply to #234811)

Jeff, you made me cry. I am a couple of weeks away from 46 yrs old, and I too have amazing kids that I want to see grow up. I cannot imagine what you have already gone through two years ago and what you are now potentially facing.

You will be in our thoughts.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-10-25 6:21 PM (#234825 - in reply to #234811)

Good luck, Jeff
cliff
Posted 2006-10-25 6:30 PM (#234826 - in reply to #234811)

My Very Best Wishes of Good Fortune to You, as well, Jeff.
guitarwannabee
Posted 2006-10-25 6:53 PM (#234827 - in reply to #234811)

Jeff , an experience of mine was my father was diagnosed with colon cancer back in the 70s. The family was devostated by the news. Back then cancer was considered a one way street.He had his surgery and spent 39 days in the hospital recuperating and we were told all we could do is pray for his recovery.
He made it through it and beat the cancer,but 20 years later he had another bout with it and he came to me ( his son ) and asked me what should I do , He said I am an old man now and I don't know if I want to go through a surgery like that again . WOW that was the hardest question I ever had to deal with . I just said to him that the with the new knowlege,treatments & drugs that have been developed for cancer today are so much better than what you had 35 years ago please go for it Dad.

He did it again & won !!!

If you look at the post that I made here the other day on Carjacking , My cancer free 87 year old father is the man who broke his cane over the Carjackers head.

He went through it twice and beat it,you can too.

JEFF you are a man of Faith so
DON'T EVER GIVE UP HOPE FOR YOU & YOUR FAMILY :
KEEP THE FAITH : We are all pulling for you. GWB
seesquare
Posted 2006-10-25 7:33 PM (#234828 - in reply to #234811)

No offense to your oncologist, but.......get a second opinion. Also, explore alternative medicine approaches. Then, pray like your life depends on it!
There are behavioral healthcare practitioners who facilitate amazing outcomes with "guided imagery" techniques with cancer eradication.
We will all send positive, healing energy in your direction.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2006-10-25 7:57 PM (#234829 - in reply to #234811)

Hi there JEFF,GOOD thoughts are with you and your family,I will not bore you with my medical experiences,partly this is not the time, plus reading your post gave me a lump in the throat,but mostly because Guitar W B says it better then I could :) ..In Spirit I am with You Buddy,You certainly are NOT alone ..I`ll be looking for you posting here..that will be often,right ?!!.. :)
Vic
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-10-25 9:53 PM (#234830 - in reply to #234811)

There you go, Jeff. I hope you live to be 87 and get to whap some POS crook over the head with your cane. When you get to about 85, remember this and buy a cane even if you don't need one. We want your kids to brag about you just like gwb got to brag about his dad.
stonebobbo
Posted 2006-10-25 10:31 PM (#234831 - in reply to #234811)

Like everyone else, my hopes and prayers go out for you, Jeff. The only thing I can add is that I'm sure your wife will be strong for and around you ... just make sure she has someone around with whom she can let down. This will be a time full of fears and emotions for her, as well. And live every day as if it is your only day ... if all goes well, you'll have about 1500 incredibly great days!
Capo Guy
Posted 2006-10-25 10:44 PM (#234832 - in reply to #234811)

Jeff,

I WILL be praying for you.

I will also add you to my church's prayer chain.
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2006-10-26 2:55 AM (#234833 - in reply to #234811)

Jeff,

I don't think you're selfish. I think you're just being honest. You've got more people praying with you than you know.

Blessings.
Jeff
Posted 2006-10-27 11:06 AM (#234834 - in reply to #234811)

Wow... You all are awesome! I'm so moved by your willingness to pray and your words of encouragement... Thank you. I have a test scheduled next week called a "fine needle aspiration." What they're going to do is stick a needle into one of the suspicious looking lymph nodes for a biopsy. I'll definitely keep you all posted.

I must tell you, I'm not nearly as courageous as my original post may have led you to believe. I'm scared to death. Again, not at the prospect of graduating onto glory, but of leaving behind a grieving wife and three children. My son just turned 16 last month, and my girls are only 13 and 10. They are both "daddy's girls," and I can't bear the thought of what my passing would do to them. My wife and I have the closest thing to a perfect marriage as I've ever seen, and we just marvel all the time at what an incredible "God-thing" our relationship is... This is what I'm not ready to give up.

Thank you again for your prayers. I covet them dearly.
aikido777
Posted 2006-10-30 6:46 PM (#234835 - in reply to #234811)

Jeff,

I just said a prayer for you and your family as well. My mom faced cancer and beat it. With your faith and your family, you can too!!

A few years ago, I had strep which led to my immune system attacking my plateletts. I remember trying to explain to my then 3 year-old daughter, who was lying in my hospital bed with me, why daddy couldn't come home with her. My prognosis at that time wasn't great. When she left, I cried because I, like you, wasn't ready to leave my wife and daughter behind. I prayed a lot and had a lot of others praying for me. I walked out of the hospital 3 days later. I'm the only one they've ever seen with a zero platelette count walk out of a hospital. Prayer, family and positive thoughts can accomplish much! I'm a walking miracle and I thank God everyday.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)