The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New electric bass pickups - advice

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2006-11-03 5:01 PM (#233231)
Subject: New electric bass pickups - advice

Hi, All;
I have an entry-level Steinberger 5-string that I love--with the exception of the thinnish, slighty tinny sound it produces. (Think of one of Wally Cox's mousey characters--my bass is kind of the musical equivalent. A perfect candidate to have sand kicked in its' face.) It came with humbuckers in it; I've been running it through a bass processor, but even that hasn't improved it as much as I'd hoped. (Toting around a monster bass amp isn't practical for this middle-aged grandma.) I would like to upgrade the pickups in the hopes that perhaps the sound will have a little more punch and not sound so porous.

What should I look for, and where can I find them? Are there any that I should avoid? And how will I know if they'll fit?
Thanks for the input, Karen
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JeffreyD
Posted 2006-11-03 5:07 PM (#233232 - in reply to #233231)
Subject: Re: New electric bass pickups - advice

Hi Karen,

I just took delivery of my Carvin LP75P (I know, I keep saying that don't I) and so far am impressed with the Carvin Humbuckers that are in it. They wind their own, I understand.

Not sure what it would take to transfer them over, but I have seen some on ebay recently for sale where folks swap in other stuff.

I have never followed such details as pickups and stuff, so am NOT an authority on the topic.

Running them through my Barbetta 23C Keyboard amp (37 lbs) they offer a very full sound with a nice need growl when eq'd with flat bass and backed off mid.
an4340
Posted 2006-11-03 10:39 PM (#233233 - in reply to #233231)

Definintely is a pickup and / or pot issue. I'm no experts on basses, but you might want to try changing the pots or the capacitor thingies first. I'm sure there's a place on the internet that describes how to do this. Then I'd look at changing the pickups if that didn't do the trick. There are tons of places on the internet that'll sell you bass parts like stew mac or warmoth. As I write this, I'd give Dan Torres a call over at Torres Engineering.com. I spoke to him about a special tone pot for my telecaster (it has a tone and a midrange on one knob) which is fantastic. He'll even be able to help with pickups too.
HoHo
Posted 2006-11-04 1:55 AM (#233234 - in reply to #233231)

I have Bartolini bass pickups on my 5 strings. They are great. Try eBay or BestBassGear.com

Henry
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)