The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Hey everyone, I joined the digital camera world

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-08 9:04 PM (#232953 - in reply to #232928)
Subject: Re: Hey everyone, I joined the digital camera world

I had jury duty today so I was able to read about 40 pages of the owner's manual for the D200. Some things I already knew from my other Nikon cameras (exposure,program mode,shutter priority, aperture priority, manual mode, etc)
There were other techniques/settings that I knew the theory about but never tried due to processing, film cost. I will probably try them now and will be able to see the results right away :D . I should be up and running by the time Thanksgiving gets here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cruster
Posted 2006-11-08 10:16 PM (#232954 - in reply to #232928)

Congrats on the acquisitions, Phil. I've been working really hard the last couple of days, researching DSLRs. The D200 is on the short list of four that I've got it narrowed down to. I just don't think I need prosumer quality (or pricetag...heh).

I'm looking at the Nikon D80/D200 and the Canon XTi/30D. I spent the better part of this afternoon looking at reviews that actually have standard omparison photos (test sheets, scales, etc.) of those four models. I'm thinking that for the extra cost, I'll never be able to tell the difference between the XTi and the D200 (or the D80 and the 30D, for that matter.

Everything I've read, though, is that the kit lenses included with the Nikons are superior to Canon's. Not that it matters to me, as I'm going to go body only and then pick up something a little better than the kit lenses anyway.

Have you posted pictures anywhere? I'd like to see what you're getting with the D200.
Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-09 7:54 AM (#232955 - in reply to #232928)

Cruster,
I have not posted any pictures yet from the D200. The D80 looks like a fine camera. I took this opportunity to just go for the D200. I probably was not going to get this opportunity or approval from SWMBO very often.
When I learn some of the tricks that can be done with this camera I will post them.
Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-09 8:39 AM (#232956 - in reply to #232928)

OPPS typo thanks, posted edited.
muzza
Posted 2006-11-09 8:55 AM (#232957 - in reply to #232928)

I must say that Nikons are the camera equivalent of an Ovation for me. I don't want anything else.

That said, I'm currently using a Pentax. I can't afford Ovations AND Nikons.
Beal
Posted 2006-11-09 9:54 AM (#232958 - in reply to #232928)

That is a great thing to do on jury duty!

I wrote the forward to the book when I was waiting to be expelled from the jury I was called for. I got it written and said all the right things so that neither side wanted me, they said I could leave the building right away.
cruster
Posted 2006-11-19 9:51 PM (#232959 - in reply to #232928)

Originally posted by Phil Wong:
Cruster,
I have not posted any pictures yet from the D200. The D80 looks like a fine camera. I took this opportunity to just go for the D200. I probably was not going to get this opportunity or approval from SWMBO very often.
When I learn some of the tricks that can be done with this camera I will post them.
Any pictures posted yet? :) How are you liking it? Still digging on the Nikon?

After much more research and talking to friends/relatives who are avid photogs and/or paid professionals, I'm going to go with the Canon 30D. Now I just need to figure out which non-scamming mail order place to purchase it through. Too bad there isn't an 'Al' of digital cameras.
edensharvest
Posted 2006-11-20 12:42 AM (#232960 - in reply to #232928)

Cruster, check out an ebay store called "Cameta Camera." They're from New York, an actual store, with something over 160,000 feedbacks on ebay. Great prices on Nikon, Canon, etc, and awesome service. I've bought two cameras from them, and both were excellent.
Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-20 8:19 AM (#232961 - in reply to #232928)

Cruster,
I have a few pictures in my gallary of me and the OFC Member of the year trophy. I just took a few to test the lighting,white balance setting etc. The Canon 30D is a great camera also. Again most of my lenses are Nikon so I wanted to stay within that brand. I am very happy with the camera and unfortunately I have been spendiing a lot of time reading the manual and learning the camera's settings. As a result I have not picked up my guitars at home. I have a traveler guitar that I use at lunch time. So it's not as if I haven't played guitar at all.
Cameta Camera seems to be a good place to purchace a camera. I have actually seen the place but have not been inside. In my case I have not purchaced anything from them because the tax rate in Long Island/Nassau/Suffolk county is more than NY tax. So when I make large purchaces the difference in the tax rate can add up.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)