The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hey everyone, I joined the digital camera world

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-05 9:17 PM (#232928)
Subject: Hey everyone, I joined the digital camera world

Well I finally did it. I joined the digital camera age. I made my annual visit to the Jacob Javitz's Convention Center and attended Photo Expo East 2006. I went there with a full shopping list in hand and wanted to see if I could take advantage of show specials/promotions. B and H Photo in the city usually has special convention prices.
Well, I came home with TWO that's right TWO digital camera's. The camera's that I came home with are the Nikon D200 digital SLR, 10.2 mega pixels and a Nikon P3 8.0 megapixel point and shoot for the rest of the family. I also picked up a few accessories at the show and at B and H Photo.
I saved a total of $360.00 on all the things that I came home with. I will keep all of you updated on my progress with learning how to use both cameras. In the future I will probably ask some of you for advise on optimal settings, terminology etc.
I can't wait for the next get together because I know that there are certain members out there ( and you know who you are) who have met me and have scolded me about the expense I incurred when I was using film.
As it turned out the cameras are an early Christmas and Birthday present for me and my family. I have only had the cameras for a few days and I am really enjoying them so far.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bauerhillboy
Posted 2006-11-05 9:33 PM (#232929 - in reply to #232928)
Subject: Re: Hey everyone, I joined the digital camera world

Great news Phil!!! I always buy from B&H. How do you feel leaving film behind? I mean...emotionally. I know for the point & shoot crowd it's one thing, but for someone serious like you it's a BIG departure.
John <>{
an4340
Posted 2006-11-05 9:51 PM (#232930 - in reply to #232928)

I've never had a problem taking pic with digital cameras, the problem was always getting them out and sharing them.
So far the best system I've found is JASC photo album. The only problem is the naming feature. Other than that no problems.
fugot
Posted 2006-11-05 9:55 PM (#232931 - in reply to #232928)

is a digital picture still worth a thousand words? or bytes?
cliff
Posted 2006-11-05 10:07 PM (#232932 - in reply to #232928)

Phil;

Congrats on the new acquisitions!

I was planning on sneaking out on Fri. afternoon to go to the show, but had too much on my desk that had to be done before the weekend . . .
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2006-11-05 10:16 PM (#232933 - in reply to #232928)

:) Congratulations :) I too wanna go digital ,( & have so in a small way ) But I can n`t wait to get my hands on a Kodak DCS Pro 14n , that `s `cause I`v got a bunch o`Nikkors...ranging from 24 mm to 180 ed,most of `em being "Fast Glass",all manual o`course ,but I can n`t afford to replace `em,it`s bad enough to leave my F`s behind (F chrome ,F black with photomics in perfect working order) F2 , F3 ,FA,also would like digital backs for my mamya/sekor 645 system,and Horseman VH-R...but..sigh..funding all that ain`t that easy.....say..You Pro by any chance..Studio ?..Reporter ?... :)

Vic
edensharvest
Posted 2006-11-05 11:10 PM (#232934 - in reply to #232928)

Awesome camera choices. I just saw one of the new D200's at Costco. REALLY sweet camera. They've got it right now in a pack with two lenses and accessories, priced right around $1300 (I think). I've got a Coolpix 5600 right now, and we've been looking at the P3 for a second. What do you think of that one?
Jason_S
Posted 2006-11-05 11:18 PM (#232935 - in reply to #232928)

im thinking about going digital. my extremly old leica finaly took a shit,ive had it for 10+yrs ive had it in the shop for the past 2wks having a "tune up" put on it, i got it back saturday and now it wont focus..any advice on a good digital camera?? something in the $300-$1000 price range..jason
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2006-11-06 3:04 AM (#232936 - in reply to #232928)

I recently purchased an OUTSTANDING (if I do say so) digital camera that is especially handy for ebay and just taking pictures of guitars. What's different about this one?

The Panasonic DMC-FX01 on the surface looks like every other small point'n shoot but, it has a wide angle lens, and as of around June this year, it was the only one in this price/class range that does and it's a Leica lens t'boot. This allows one to get in close to something like a guitar, close enough to pick up the detail, and fit the whole guitar in.

Here is a review at the DPReview website which I also highly recommend for researching. The summaries are written in a way to let you know what the camera really does or doesn't do. I also find the actual review data in most cases makes for a better user guide than what's packaged with most cameras.
Waskel
Posted 2006-11-06 7:14 AM (#232937 - in reply to #232928)

Congratulations, Phil.
Hope you didn't get dizzy, rushing into the present. ;)
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2006-11-06 7:14 AM (#232938 - in reply to #232928)

I'm smiling. Phil's photo work has made it easier to ridicule the populace in cartoons, and is still doing so in ways you don't know yet. Congrats to you (and me)...
Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-06 7:57 AM (#232939 - in reply to #232928)

Leaving film behind was a hard decision. I have to credit Pearl for helping me to save all of that GAS money. She kept telling me that I already have to many cameras. I have a Nikon 8008,N90s, four lenses, A Nikon point and shoot camera, Canon waterproof camera and a Hasselblad 503CW. If and when I am hired to shoot an event I will have to bring my film cameras any way. Pearl will shoot the film and I will shoot digital. That way there always be a back up and more photos to sell.
Unfortunately I have not touched my Ovations since These new toys came home but I feel that I will be forgiven by all of you.
Erniewan
Posted 2006-11-06 8:24 AM (#232940 - in reply to #232928)

Congrats Phil...

I still haven't finished that roll of Fuji you gave me in May to try...!

My record is 3 Christmas's on one roll....

Ernie
Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-06 9:13 AM (#232941 - in reply to #232928)

I know the feeling. Good to hear from you.
Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-06 10:11 AM (#232942 - in reply to #232928)

Originally posted by Enfant Terrible aka V-Elite:
:) Congratulations :) I too wanna go digital ,( & have so in a small way ) But I can n`t wait to get my hands on a Kodak DCS Pro 14n , that `s `cause I`v got a bunch o`Nikkors...ranging from 24 mm to 180 ed,most of `em being "Fast Glass",all manual o`course ,but I can n`t afford to replace `em,it`s bad enough to leave my F`s behind (F chrome ,F black with photomics in perfect working order) F2 , F3 ,FA,also would like digital backs for my mamya/sekor 645 system,and Horseman VH-R...but..sigh..funding all that ain`t that easy.....say..You Pro by any chance..Studio ?..Reporter ?... :)

Vic
Vic,
It all started out as a hobby. I have been freelancing the last few years. I have shot weddings, parties , events. I have made enough in the past so that this hobby has supported itself.This is not my primary occupation. This has been a third source if income. I have White Lightning lights, soft boxes etc. The lights are just sitting in the case. I am a little rusty when it come to using these lights.
Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-06 10:18 AM (#232943 - in reply to #232928)

Vic,
I forgot to mention you have an impressive list of equiptment. I have a 35-70 2.8 non D series,35-70 2.8D, 28 mm 2.8D, 70-200 2.8 non D series lenses to go with my 8008, N90S and D200.
John B
Posted 2006-11-06 10:37 AM (#232944 - in reply to #232928)

Phil! You finally did it! Good for you. Congrats on the new goodies. I'm dying to get a digital SLR, but they are a bit too much for me to handle right now. Lots of luck with everything.
Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-06 10:48 AM (#232945 - in reply to #232928)

John,
I'm really happy that I finally bought it. The next time you see me I will just have a camera bag that I can hang off of my shoulder. I can leave that big suitcase that you saw at home.
John B
Posted 2006-11-06 3:12 PM (#232946 - in reply to #232928)

Nice Phil! Although the case full of equipment was quite impressive. LOL. With the digital SLR, is there a delay between the time you press the shutter and time that the picture is taken? With the "point and Shoot" digitals, there's always that little delay which causes me to miss lots of good pictures of my daughter.
Joyful Noise
Posted 2006-11-06 5:11 PM (#232947 - in reply to #232928)

That's not a problem with the Nikon digital SLRs. They are some of the fastest digital cameras made. I've had a D70 for a couple of years now and operationally, it's virtually identical to my N70. No annoying delays, and while mine is only about 6 Megapixels, I can hold the shutter down and shoot frame after frame probably faster than most conventional speedwinders will allow.
cliff
Posted 2006-11-06 5:29 PM (#232948 - in reply to #232928)

THAT's what I want!!!

The little, point&click cigarette packs are "cute" . . .
. . but I want a CAMERA!!!

My OldMan left me the old camera that he had with him through the KoreanWar (ZeissIkonta "folding" camera). Did an Internet search only to find out how depressingly monetarily worthless it is . . .

Great lil' camera, tho . . .
Beal
Posted 2006-11-06 5:43 PM (#232949 - in reply to #232928)

Great news Phil!!!
What kind of film do you use in them? I am thinking about getting one too but never see the digital film at Walgreens.
Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-06 6:22 PM (#232950 - in reply to #232928)

Cliff,
We could get together if you would like to try the camera. You may be able to take a picture of me actually trying to play a guitar.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2006-11-07 2:04 AM (#232951 - in reply to #232928)

Hi Phil ,once upon a time ,I tried to be a reporter ,but starvation was n`t my cup o`tea ( that was in New York from all places ) later on, over here, some studiowork with a buddy o`mine,did that for some years,magazinestuff mostly ..Hi-Fi & Computer mags.,Pottery ,a little fashion,well it paid the rent,but that was probably `cause I kept working in factories ,and restaurants ( I can handle a dishwasher "molto bene " :rolleyes: )Well,having a certified photobiz ( then ) enabled me to get that equipment ,sooo....should I see You as the "Ovation Playing Photographer"..or.."The Picturetaking Ovation Player" :confused: :D
Anyhow ,I wish You Lots o` succes ..I have seen some of your pictures ,and I must say..there`s a bit of a reporter there,U`re GOOD with People
Keep Up The Good Work ;)

Vic
Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-07 7:59 AM (#232952 - in reply to #232928)

Vic,
Thank you for the kind words. I hope that one day you will be able to make it back to the states.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)