The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Feedback Buster for my Pacemaker

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

bauerhillboy
Posted 2006-11-10 10:48 AM (#232252)
Subject: Feedback Buster for my Pacemaker

NOTE: already posted by mistake in "sell/trade".

I'm getting feedback from one string. My understanding is that there are 2 sources of feedback: string and soundhole. Will a Feedback Buster solve my vibrating string problem? Will it fit the soundhole in my Pacemaker? Do I need to buy an external notch filter device? (the Feedback Buster would be a lot less expensive). Advice please.

Thanks to Gospel Guitar guy for responding to me in the sell/trade area.
John <>{
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2006-11-10 11:46 AM (#232253 - in reply to #232252)
Subject: Re: Feedback Buster for my Pacemaker

With acoustic instruments the two sources of feedback are soundboard resonance and body cavity resonance. If you manage to get both going together you have trouble. The string or note that's vibrating will help identify the frequencies you need to zap, but it's not the actual string that's causing the problem, it's volume level at those particular freqencies setting the top in motion and that sets off the strings or notes closest to that frequency.

Soundhole bungs raise the resonant frequency of the body cavity. They'll get you a couple of extra dB headroom before feedback if you're playing at moderate volume but won't help much, if at all with top resonance feedback.

A DI box with a phase reversal switch can help a little (Such as the Baggs Para-Acoustic) Phase reversal puts the sound system output 180 degrees out of phase with the guitar. The downside is it can screw up your tone. You can also try orienting your speakers/monitors differently in relation to your playing position. After that it's either turn down or buy some true parametric EQ or an automatic feedback destroyer.

I've said this several times in the past, the cheapest automatic feedback zapper out there is the Behringer Shark. Works great, pretty simple to use, costs around $70. There must be plently available used on ebay for less.

http://www.behringer.com/DSP110/index.cfm?lang=ENG
bauerhillboy
Posted 2006-11-10 1:42 PM (#232254 - in reply to #232252)

I was hoping you would show up, Paul!
I'm right next to the bass player with his amp, and right next to the drummer, and right next to the electric guitar guy with his little miked amp. So as a result I need my monitor up pretty high. With an OpPro, I'd have the sound guy turn it up to the just-before-feedback level. My Pacemaker has a B-Band A-3 with an under-saddle p/u. Not as sophisticated a setup and, I guess, more prone to feedback.

I do get some relief by turning away from the monitor, but sometimes I almost have to look at the monitor...as if this helps me hear it better.

Maybe a used Shark would help. If I could buy something in that pricerange that is more than just a notch filter (read:more fun) that would be great.

John <>{
Paul Templeman
Posted 2006-11-10 1:48 PM (#232255 - in reply to #232252)

This is pretty extreme, but it works. But only if you don't play the guitar unplugged a lot. Get some sheets of lightwewight upholstery foam or pyramid foam and stuff the guitar full of it. Then put in a soundhole bung (mosltly cosmetic by this stage) It kills the acoustic sound, but your ears will bleed long before the guitar feeds back and it's way cheaper than electronic solutions.
First Alternate
Posted 2006-11-11 6:59 AM (#232256 - in reply to #232252)

Start simple and inexpensive and work your way up to complicated and costly. The first thing I'd try is a Feedback Buster. You might have to trim some of the lip to get it to fit your guitar. I've done this on both a Martin and an Ovation in a relatively high output situation, and it worked just fine.

I once played an Ovie someone had filled with Great Stuff, the expanding foam insulator. This worked too, but a lot more difficult to reverse if you don't like it.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-11-11 9:12 AM (#232257 - in reply to #232252)

Originally posted by First Alternate:
I once played an Ovie someone had filled with Great Stuff, the expanding foam insulator. This worked too, but a lot more difficult to reverse if you don't like it.
How many beers inspired that idea??

or was it just long-term cumulative exposure?
bauerhillboy
Posted 2006-11-11 9:48 AM (#232258 - in reply to #232252)

But if you play it out on your boat and the boat sinks, you can use your Ovation as a personal floatation device!
cliff
Posted 2006-11-11 10:54 AM (#232259 - in reply to #232252)

I had the same problem (caused by sharing the same side of the stage as the bass player) and the FeedBackBuster cleared it RIGHT up.

I'm all for buying "toys", but I'd opt for trying the $7 option first. Worse comes to worse, if it doesn't "work", y'got a real neat, non-slip, waterproof coaster for your desk.

Make sure you find the genuine "FeedBackBuster", distributed by KMC. It should fit right-in snugly with no trimming needed. When I get a chance, I'll dig mine out (if can find it) and see if it fits my Pacemaker. It fit my CBalladeer prfectly.
Weaser P
Posted 2006-11-11 11:12 AM (#232260 - in reply to #232252)

Or you can save the $7 and just knock the bass player off the back of the stage.

Just throwing out options...
bauerhillboy
Posted 2006-11-11 11:38 AM (#232261 - in reply to #232252)

Well, I just ordered a Feedback Buster (Kaman). We'll see.

Thanks everyone...I'll let you know. John <>{
bauerhillboy
Posted 2006-11-11 11:41 AM (#232262 - in reply to #232252)

...it would have been cool to show up with the Shark. Everyone considers me to be technologically challenged. It would have been fun to show up and set it up like I knew just what I was doing.
John <>{
cliff
Posted 2006-11-11 12:49 PM (#232263 - in reply to #232252)

Put the 'Buster in, take a small cardboard box, paint it silver, glue some knobs/buttons to it.
Run your guitar cord thru two holes in the box, and tell 'em it's "a little something you "whipped-up" on your workbench" . . .
First Alternate
Posted 2006-11-11 2:48 PM (#232264 - in reply to #232252)

[/qb]How many beers inspired that idea??
or was it just long-term cumulative exposure? [/QB]

Don't know. It was in a studio hanging on a wall with all the other assorted instruments you usually see there. The engineer/owner had bought it like that second hand.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)