The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Gordon Lightfoot last night in Toronto

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

stonebobbo
Posted 2006-11-20 5:08 PM (#231228 - in reply to #231203)
Subject: Re: Gordon Lightfoot last night in Toronto

I have tickets to see BB King at the Paramount Theater in Oakland ... a great venue. I'm not sure what to expect from BB, but I couldn't pass up the chance to see him one more time ... at 80, there can't be a lot more tours in his future. Besides, Mavis Staples is sharing the stage with him.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-11-20 5:14 PM (#231229 - in reply to #231203)

Last I saw (four years ago?), Mr. King's still got it, Bobbo. And a Staple to boot.... enjoy the show.
First Alternate
Posted 2006-11-22 4:19 AM (#231230 - in reply to #231203)

I saw Lightfoot on some TV concert a couple of years ago. His voice was OK, but his diction was like someone who had just come from the dentist. I know he's suffered from Bell's Palsy over the years and thought this might be a factor.

There is a Lightfoot group on usenet, so I asked them about this. Well, they circled the wagons and treated me like some interloper attacking their idol. This honked me off because I've always considered myself the second Lightfoot fan, right after the guy who decided to sign him to a record deal.

We all get old, we slow down and things start to happen. Lightfoot has done wonderful work, but I think I'll allow him the dignity of getting older without further comment.
ScottyO
Posted 2006-11-22 8:38 AM (#231231 - in reply to #231203)

"Sometimes I think its a shame when I get feeling better when I'm feeling no pain." Damn I nearly quit partying over that line when I first paid attention to it when I was 20 years old. The greats are getting older and there's not really any replacements.

It sucks that I'm still stuck in the 60's and 70's music because those guys are all past their primes and retired or semi-retired.
Slipkid
Posted 2006-11-22 9:52 AM (#231232 - in reply to #231203)

The greats are getting older and there's not really any replacements.
Boy, you can say that again.
As it is with my all time favorite band, The Who. While the recent concert was still a blast, I really miss John's strong bass lines and volume. And Roger's voice is not what it was even 6 years ago let alone 30. Singing is such an organic thing that there is just not way that you can change equipment to make up for age. On the other hand, Townshend, IMO, has never played better. I'd like to hope that they have one more tour in them. Maybe two.

Weren't we warned about this 20 years ago?? That with the rise of the internet, "popular" music would divide and sub-divide itself into little narrow-cast niches?
I'm stuck in the 60's and 70's as much as you are. I look for newer things to listen to and play, but it's rare that I find something that sticks. So I'll treasure the occasional little gem like "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World and allow myself the guilty pleasure of Toby Keith's, "I Ain't As Good As I Once Was" until the next phase comes along. But it sure seems like the mythical Greek Muse that blessed us with such great music in the 60's and 70's has returned to Mt. Olympus and given up on us.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-11-22 10:34 AM (#231233 - in reply to #231203)

Guy down the hall went to The Who in Salt Lake one night and came back and caught the Stones here the next night. Said the Who was much better. For what he spent on those 2 concerts, though, he could have bought a new Ovation. I'd have skipped both and bought the Ovation. Actually, I did skip both, but didn't buy a new Ovation. At least not this month.
Cantom
Posted 2006-12-01 7:01 PM (#231234 - in reply to #231203)

Quite a few years ago I was working with a female singer. We entered a talent show in a small town in central Ontario. The night of the show she lost her voice. I was playing a Gretch Chet Atkins 6120 theough a 4x10 Super Reverb.
I went on by mself and finger picked " Changes " a Lightfoot favourite of mine. I won the contest.
Gordon Lightfoot lives about 2 1/2 hours from where I live now.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)