The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Dull sound after rest

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

HobbyPicker
Posted 2006-11-18 4:06 PM (#231131)
Subject: Dull sound after rest

My 1619-4 from 1975 has been with me for 18 years. Last winter the action got very high, and the intonation was bad, it also got a minor crack in the top parallell to the fretboard. All this was related to drying out. I got a humidifier, put it in the case and sent it to a luthier. He recommendet to change the top, but we considered this to be to expensive a repair for this old guitar, so it stayed in its case until yesterday. When I took it out the top seemed to be a lot better, so i restrung it, removed the shim under the bridge and adjusted the truss rod. Action and intonation are fine, but the sound is much duller than I can remember it was. Is this likely to improve after some time of playing, or can it be caused by the removal of the plastic shim under the bridge?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
an4340
Posted 2006-11-18 4:14 PM (#231132 - in reply to #231131)
Subject: Re: Dull sound after rest

You put new strings on, so rule that out. (assuming they were the same strings!) The plastic shim removal wouldn't make it sound "duller". Probably less loud, but dull, not in my experience. (Others may have a different opinion)

How does it sound when you put the shim back in?

Did you try taking your guitar to a different luthier? Putting in some glue isn't that difficult and is probably cheaper than replacement value of the guitar.
Yak
Posted 2006-11-18 4:16 PM (#231133 - in reply to #231131)

Removing the shims under the saddle will change the "break angle" and definitely effect the sound. The shallower break agle puts less force on the bridge and transmits less string energy into the top.

I've played around with the shims under the saddle and although I enjoy removing shims for the lower action, I always go back to a higher action and live with it because the tone is much better withthe higer break angle.

Also, strings have alot to do with the sound. What strings did you use this time?
Northcountry
Posted 2006-11-18 4:24 PM (#231134 - in reply to #231131)

Strings.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-11-18 4:32 PM (#231135 - in reply to #231131)

Originally posted by Yak:
Removing the shims under the saddle will change the "break angle"... The shallower break agle puts less force on the bridge and transmits less string energy into the top.
...although I enjoy removing shims for the lower action, I always go back to a higher action and live with it because the tone is much better with the higer break angle.
Hey, Thanx. That explains alot to me about the change in my guitar when I lowered the bridge. But I still like the lower action. Thanx for the tip.
an4340
Posted 2006-11-18 6:40 PM (#231136 - in reply to #231131)

Could it be that the crack is still in the top? Now would be the time to glue it up that it's been humidified and rested some time. I dunno, I don't buy it that your problem is a removed shim.
Jason_S
Posted 2006-11-18 9:15 PM (#231137 - in reply to #231131)

a cracked top will make the sound kinda "muddy" if its real bad you will get a buzz too..jason
HobbyPicker
Posted 2006-11-20 10:28 AM (#231138 - in reply to #231131)

Removing the shims under the saddle will change the "break angle" and definitely effect the sound. The shallower break agle puts less force on the bridge and transmits less string energy into the top.
What strings did you use this time?
HobbyPicker
Posted 2006-11-20 10:34 AM (#231139 - in reply to #231131)

What strings did you use this time?
I put on a set of D'Addario EJ 16 Lights, which is the same I used before. I believe that you've got a good point about the break angle, and will try to put the shim back next time I change strings. Luckily, it seems that the sound of my guitar is improving after a couple of days and a few hours of playing. I've heard that solid tops will "open" after some playing. Has anyone else experienced this?
gh1
Posted 2006-11-20 10:57 AM (#231140 - in reply to #231131)

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but i had the same thing happen just a little while ago.

Recently we had a period of high relative humidity with unseasonable warm weather out here in the PNW. All of my guitars went flat -- sounded just awful and the intonation was off. The weather changed back to it's usual grey soup and they sound fine. I asked around if others in the area noticed the same thing -- some did and some didn't.

FWIW

_____
gh1
Trader Jim
Posted 2006-11-20 11:49 AM (#231141 - in reply to #231131)

I know this sounds dumb, but get a second opinion. Sometimes my guitars sound muddy to me and I think it's the guitar when it really is just my perception / expectations.
HobbyPicker
Posted 2006-11-20 12:40 PM (#231142 - in reply to #231131)

Originally posted by an4340:
Could it be that the crack is still in the top? Now would be the time to glue it up that it's been humidified and rested some time. ...
The crack is about 10 cm long, close to the fretboard at the 1. string side. It seems to be completely closed, so my big question is how to squeeze glue into it?. My best guess is to use a syringe with a fine needle from the inside, but I'm afraid to make it worse. Do anybody have some good tips on how to fix this?
an4340
Posted 2006-11-21 9:21 AM (#231143 - in reply to #231131)

I'd ask around, but one way I've seen is, after the guitar is totally humidified as best as you can, with the crack really closed up nicely, put a thin strip of linen over lapping either side of the crack by an inch, saturated with wood glue on the inside of the guitar over the crack, then work in glue from the top with your finger tip, just cramming it in, then wiping off the excess before it dries. You might want to check out some guitar repair books, like Erlwine's Guitar Repair. Check amazon.com. They have a bunch of books.
After it's repaired, just keep it in it's case with a hygrometer and a humidier, between 40 and 60% humidity, with 45 to 50 being perfect.
HobbyPicker
Posted 2006-12-02 2:12 PM (#231144 - in reply to #231131)

I removed a big hunch of earwax tonight, so that will surely help on the sound of my guitars!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)