The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Effects on Tone

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Jeff W.
Posted 2006-11-20 9:39 AM (#230970)
Subject: Effects on Tone

We all seek guitars that sound good and work our way through bushells of strings to find just the right tone...

Less talked about is the effect on tone as result of attack and pick orientation on the string. More than just the force with which you strike the strings, the angle of the pick (or of course, which part of your finger) when it strikes the string has a big effect.

Yes, I know, this is obvious, but I find I can forget to concentrate and experiment with these aspects when I play....

This morning practicing scales, was point in fact. Instead of concentrating on my left (fret) hand, I paid close attention to my right hand. It's remarkable the difference in tone one can generate in indentical scales, by changing attack and pick orientation....

(go ahead.... start the abuse....)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2006-11-20 10:22 AM (#230971 - in reply to #230970)
Subject: Re: Effects on Tone

Here we go with the "nails vs. nubs vs. plectrum" debate again... :D :p :p :D

You are absoutely correct about another completly subjective and rhetorical topic.
Omaha
Posted 2006-11-20 10:33 AM (#230972 - in reply to #230970)

The part of this that I find fascinating is how guitarists will discuss and debate ENDLESSLY the tonal qualities of the most arcane things: Brazilian vs Indian rosewood sides, bone vs fossilized walrus ivory bridge pins, nitrocellulous vs UV finishes, etc, etc, etc. All fiercly and furiously argued over with a level of intensity usually only seen in the middle east.

Any yet those factors, to the extent they matter at all, are at most 1/100th of 1% of the impact that even a minimal change in technique can make. Guitars don't make tone. Guitarists do.

Jeff's right: there are a million different ways to pluck a string. Each one has its own tone.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-11-20 11:00 AM (#230973 - in reply to #230970)

Wow. You were practicing scales? First thing on a Monday morning? I haven't practiced scales since the third grade.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-11-20 11:17 AM (#230974 - in reply to #230970)

Omaha get's my point...

and yes, I've gone back to 3rd grade and started practicing scales for about half an hour before noodling around any further...
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2006-11-20 1:03 PM (#230975 - in reply to #230970)

... and add different types of picks to mix and yet another world opens up. For single notes, leads, scales, etc. I got turned onto holding the pick vertical or rather perpendicular to the strings. You can easily double your picking speed without even trying with this technique. It's easier to do this with a heavy pick (I use the Adamas Graphite ones) and the tone become very smooth because of the way the pick is touching the string. When I started doing this, the hard part is getting the left hand notes to keep up with the right hand picking.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-11-20 1:59 PM (#230976 - in reply to #230970)

I'll add one more dimension . . . left hand string pressure. Acoustic guitars require more pressure than pure electrics. Consequently, after playing nothing but acoustics for a week or two with medium strings, then switching back to a solid electric with very light strings, chords sound out of tune because I find myself inadvertently bending at least two and often times more strings with too much pressure. No matter how hard I strike the strings with my right hand (100% with a pick and lots of dampening with my palm), I try hard to keep my left hand totally relaxed and light on the strings.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)