The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
$24,000 for GC's Blackie Reissue

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-11-20 5:46 PM (#230919)
Subject: $24,000 for GC's Blackie Reissue

As some of you may know, Eric Clapton's original Blackie Strat homologation fetched something just short of a million dollars at a charity auction. The buyer, Guitar Center, Inc. will be offering 275 Blackie reissues (180 for the states) for a cool $24,000 each. Sure makes #47RI look like the deal of the century (to date).
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stonebobbo
Posted 2006-11-20 5:52 PM (#230920 - in reply to #230919)
Subject: Re: $24,000 for GC's Blackie Reissue

Yeah, but ... the #47 doesn't have cigarette burns on the headstock. You can't put a price on that!

For those of you interesting in seeing more, here is the website Fender sent in an email:

Blackie(TM)
stephent28
Posted 2006-11-20 6:22 PM (#230921 - in reply to #230919)

One of the reissues is currently at the local GC on Sheriden. I stopped by and looked at it last week. Lot of money for a beat up looking guitar!!
Jason_S
Posted 2006-11-20 6:35 PM (#230922 - in reply to #230919)

ive got a beat to hell tele with a strat fat neck..i wonder if i can get 24k for it?? lol jason
guitarwannabee
Posted 2006-11-20 6:58 PM (#230923 - in reply to #230919)

Last year GC did a deal with Gibson on Claptons ES-335.They were selling only so many of them for $13.000.00 each. They also came with the distressed looking guitar and case .
I personnaly think that these companies are ripping off the public selling a nice new guitar that you can have made( custom shop )for you for about $3000.00 looking super clean and shinny like the one Eric Clapton purchased back then. Unstead they make up that nice guitar and then end up beating the shit out of it to nick and dent it up, add a few cigarette or joint burns to it and wear the paint off the backside of it and then put a rediculous price on it using the Famous guitar players name to sell it.
What the hell , they should also make sure that the input jack shorts out and buzz like the old ones did , and make the volume controls make that horrible scratching sound when they are dirty and you go to turn them up or down.

IM MAD AS HELL AND IM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

STOP RIPPING OFF PEOPLE WITH THESE OVERPRICED PEICE OF SHIT REISSUES THAT WILL NOT GO UP IN VALUE BECAUSE A FAMOUS GUITAR PLAYERS NAME IS ON IT , THE OUTRAGEOUS PRICING ON THESE MODELS WILL MOST LIKELY COST PEOPLE HUGE MONEY THAT THEY WILL NEVER GET BACK OUT OF IT.

JUST LIKE FOOLS GOLD IN THE OLD WEST.

I am not knocking all of the reissue guitars that are made , I own some myself but just these CRAZY PRICED MODELS that sell only because of the famous persons name tag that is on it.That does not make that guitar a better instrument then the same one that doesn't have their name tag on it.

Im sorry that I was a little bit shy and held back on this issue , not really getting my point out about how I feel about this matter but sometimes I like to soft step issues.
GWB
Yak
Posted 2006-11-20 7:23 PM (#230924 - in reply to #230919)

On one episode of John Ratzenburger's Made in America, John toured the Fender factory in Corona, CA. In one scene they were making custom distressed models and John was given the chance to help ding up the body with a piece of chain. Well, John got a little to excited with the chain and whacked it too hard, causing a little more damage than the Fender guy wanted. He yells out "Whoa! Whoa! John, maybe littel too much" or something to that effect. After the Fender guy looks it over he turns and says to John, "Thats $6000 dollars we can't use". I though that was funny. Funny because obviously its the same body that they use on all the strats, and manufacturing costs are probably pretty low per unit, as they are all CNC'd. $6000? ...sure buddy.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2006-11-20 7:57 PM (#230925 - in reply to #230919)

The whole concept of ludicrously expensive pre-distresed signature guitars like the Clapton, Beck and Gallager models escapes me completely. Their only possible market must be either those with the finance to put them away unplayed for a decade or two and hope they appreciate like the real old ones, or talentless wannabes who mistakenly think they can channel their hero's mojo by owning something almost identical to the real thing.

Imagine if they applied this concept to cars.
"Well sir, as you can see the paintwork is shot, the sills are rusted, the seats are ripped and the tyres are worn, and it's only going to cost you 5 times the price of a standard production model in perfect condition"

How about this as an advertising slogan? "Guitars For Wankers"
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-11-20 8:25 PM (#230926 - in reply to #230919)

Sign me up for the James Dean Porsche reissue
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2006-11-20 9:57 PM (#230927 - in reply to #230919)

For my money, although no where near $24,000, that guitar "damamged" by John Ratzenburger is worth more than any Strat that's just made to look like someone actually played it. At least JR actually touched that one.
stonebobbo
Posted 2006-11-20 11:01 PM (#230928 - in reply to #230919)

Sign me up for the James Dean Porsche reissue
Here you go:

Beck Spyder. Except it's not in the post-Dean "relic" condition.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-11-21 12:31 AM (#230929 - in reply to #230919)

It's kind of a silly guitar to buy, but my impression is that a lot of the money involved is going to the Crossroads center in Antigua.

For about $1200 you can buy a brand new "Blackie" which is a much better guitar... That would be my first choice.
Prairie Dog
Posted 2006-11-21 1:30 AM (#230930 - in reply to #230919)

I can't think of any guitar that would be worth that much regardless of age or provenance. However, I appreciate that there are customers for instruments like the Blackie model; otherwise they would not be produced. Besides the funds raised for Crossroads, there is a cost of production in the US by skilled labor using quality components and hand building these guitars as opposed the the mostly machine built standard products regardless of country of origin. A lot of research also goes into the production of an instrument like this, that is not manufactured using standard production methods so it does cost more to produce and must sell for more. Items like this keep manufacturers in the public's eye and enhance the worth of the regular stuff in the product offerings. Of course there is a markup and an extraordinary marketing and advertising expense, too. More than likely a factory does not generate any higher margin on a model like this than they do on the ordinary stuff; more than likely it's a loser, or close to it, for the manufacturer, but generates a lot of publicity and keeps the brand out there in front of us. Fender is not ripping anybody off. Clients and customers for items like this willingly purchase them; they are not forced to buy. After all, the old rule just about always applies: something is worth what someone will pay.
JeffreyD
Posted 2006-11-21 1:20 PM (#230931 - in reply to #230919)

It's what happens when actors and athletes become your heroes. All reason goes out the window.
cruster
Posted 2006-11-21 1:36 PM (#230932 - in reply to #230919)

This is being discussed over on TGP, as well as a thread about the viability of fractional ownership of vintage guitars.

When I read the title of the thread about fractional ownership, the first thing that popped in to my head was "when they get so expensive that you have to pool money to buy one, it's beyond logic." The second thing to pop in to my head was, 'tulipmania!.' I posted a trite reply to that thread ("google 'tulip bubble'"), but nobody has addressed it as yet. I doubt anyone will address it, frankly.

They're pieces of wood and steel and strings and electronics. Just like those tulip bulbs were just, well, tulip bulbs. But, that's my opinion and we all know what they say about *those*.
45flint
Posted 2006-11-21 2:06 PM (#230933 - in reply to #230919)

Bottom line I'd rather have the Clapton Gibson. Never liked Fenders even with the paint on. But a 335 thats cool.
Steve
cliff
Posted 2006-11-21 2:18 PM (#230934 - in reply to #230919)

If I had those kinda' bucks t'blow on a guitar, I'd pay it for Q10 (if they'd sell it . . . ).

A Strat's a Strat (& don't do anything for me).
alpep
Posted 2006-11-21 2:32 PM (#230935 - in reply to #230919)

value is pervieved by the buyer. I can show you a bunch of boxes of baseball cards a friend had me buy as an investment in the early 90's that are worth less than what I paid for them.

guitar collecting came of age in the 90's. some financial mags and some big money people put their cash in collectible instruments. Once the value of the original is out of sight, a knockoff can be made and sold at a profit.

the relic guitar thing is rather interesting. I prefer to relic my guitars the old fashioned way: abuse. BUT I can see the appeal of having a worn in guitar that just feels comfortable and fits.

when I was a kid my dad took on a new job and although having a lifetime of experience in his field, he showed up to work with a new level trowel and tool bag. some of the younger guys made fun of him about not knowing what he was doing etc. Well after a day of work and these guys half my old man's age couldn't keep up they quit their ribbing. In fact my dad outlasted all of them and when the job was over he was one of only 2 masons left.

I walked into a blues jam once with my hamer. Needless to say I was the only hamer there. we had fender teles and strats of various dubious orgins, a gibson lp and the most exotic was an old rick.

I was kinda snickered at when I got up on stage and played the hamer but after the set I had several people come up to me and want to check out my guitar.

So, if you are into the collector aspect, this guitar may go up in value although, if ou look at so many other relics and artist models the track record is not good. would I buy one? only after the mortgage was paid, the food was purchased, all other expenses were paid and I had a spare 24K burning a hole in my pocket.

To be honest, I applaud companies like Flender and Gibsung that have the guts to seek out the upper echelon market and present them with a product that they want to buy and DO IT RIGHT. They have all the case candy and certificates that make the guitar special, so that even if you did not feel good about spending the cash, you feel good about it.
fillhixx
Posted 2006-11-21 3:26 PM (#230936 - in reply to #230919)

Appalled? I'm a little impressed. They see a niche and fill it.

They're not stealing anyones money. Those purchasing know exactly what they're getting.

Sure the phrase "a fool and his money"... comes to mind. But it's his money.

I'm sure Ovation could make a re-issue of the guitar that KISS used back when and make a nice splash in the marketplace too. But that might be too crassly commercial... :rolleyes:
cliff
Posted 2006-11-21 3:26 PM (#230937 - in reply to #230919)

". . value is perceived by the buyer . ."

Anybody remember BeanieBabies??

oy. :rolleyes:
alpep
Posted 2006-11-21 3:41 PM (#230938 - in reply to #230919)

sorry misspelled applaud
Capo Guy
Posted 2006-11-21 4:05 PM (#230939 - in reply to #230919)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:

For about $1200 you can buy a brand new "Blackie" which is a much better guitar... That would be my first choice.
Great idea. Then you came have all the fun of giving it that "Distressed Look". :cool: :D
fillhixx
Posted 2006-11-21 4:10 PM (#230940 - in reply to #230919)

Originally posted by alpep:
sorry misspelled applaud
Emily Litella > costume>
Oh, never mind...
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-11-21 4:38 PM (#230941 - in reply to #230919)

Al, you mentioned baseball cards. I collected boxes of them from 1958 until about 1963, and yes, I still have them. Some are real collectibles I'm sure, like the Mickey Mantles, Joe DiMaggios, and my favorites, Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale. The only problem is that we played with them constantly as kids so they've been handled and are not absolutely pristine. As an example, I would mix them up and form my own teams, then name them something different. I have a Jackie Robinson rookie of the year card with a piece of masking tape across the front that says "Marlins". He was my captain on a team whose name I made up at the time based on the Rambler car, 30 years before the Florida franchise actually trademarked the name after the fish. Someday, I'll have to go through those boxes with a price guide in hand. There must be about 5,000 cards in all. Maybe it will be my ticket to more guitars!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-11-21 11:27 PM (#230942 - in reply to #230919)

Collectable things-- I've noticed that there seem to be a slew of Melissa Etheridge signed Ovations out the on E-baaa. Also Celebrities and one Applause.
Her hand must get tired.
But like y'all said, the value of such things is totally subjective.
Prairie Dog
Posted 2006-11-28 5:57 PM (#230943 - in reply to #230919)

Guitar Center had 185 of 'em chainwide. Went on Sale November 24. Already sold out.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)