The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adjusting Action & The Effects Of Time...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Oster
Posted 2006-11-20 10:49 PM (#230895)
Subject: Adjusting Action & The Effects Of Time...

I'm hoping some of you long-time owners have some opinions on this.

Does the action on Ovation acoustics generally have to be lowered with time and if so, is there a way to curtail this 'shrinking bridge' syndrome?

The reason I ask is I lowered mine recently (I think today I've reached the desired set-up - It's been a work in progress) and I noticed when I removed the saddle for sanding down that there was a shim under the bridge (about the thickness of a medium pick - 1mm). I removed that & I sanded off another 1mm or so and the action's comfortable but the saddle is sitting low so of course I'm wondering how much longer I can do this - I'd rather not have to keep grinding away at the saddle over the years!

Is it a rule that the action progressively lifts with time and we always have to adjust our guitars accordingly or does it just as often lower itself. What are the causes of each scenario and most importantly can they be curtailed or avoided altogether?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
noah
Posted 2006-11-21 12:29 AM (#230896 - in reply to #230895)
Subject: Re: Adjusting Action & The Effects Of Time...

Lowering the saddle too much decreases the break angle of the strings, decreasing downward pressure thus decreasing the force that energizes the top.

Wood tops are a "living thing" and belly-up a little as time goes on due to string tension. If all the wood stays glued together, the belly reaches its max and thats it. When lowering the saddle and adjusting the neck relief does not yield the required results, resetting the neck puts it all right again.
Oster
Posted 2006-11-21 12:38 AM (#230897 - in reply to #230895)

Right, that's something to consider for sure which I hadn't thought of. I'm still good though. The saddle is sitting pretty low but the action is good and the sound is still primo to my ears. I won't go any lower but I bought a saddle blank in case I did (I'm fortunate to have an Ovation dealer just down the road).
Jason_S
Posted 2006-11-21 12:50 AM (#230898 - in reply to #230895)

i try to take a shim out or give the trussrod a twist before i result to triming the saddle..jason
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-11-21 8:58 AM (#230899 - in reply to #230895)

Are you actually sanding the saddle??? I wouldna do dat. Just remove/add shims and adjust neck correspondingly.
Waskel
Posted 2006-11-21 10:04 AM (#230900 - in reply to #230895)

I was about to say the same thing, Jeff. Scary.
worshipleader
Posted 2006-11-21 10:53 AM (#230901 - in reply to #230895)

Oster, does your O have an Ovation pickup, as opposed to an undersaddle piezo? If it does, did you sand the bottom of the saddle? If you did, does the pickup still work? The reason I ask, and the reason that most of us shuddered, is that all of the crystals and crap are part of the bottom of the saddle. That's why why it is scary for most of us to ever consider sanding the saddle like you might on a purely acoustic instrument.
Oster
Posted 2006-11-21 2:02 PM (#230902 - in reply to #230895)

Re: Sanding Saddle...

I can see why you'd be worried but, no, this is a purely acoustic Ovation. After reading the responses here, I re-installed my shim since I thought that maybe I had gone too low.

I think I'll give the truss rod a twist (a little too much relief) but before I do, I'm posting a picture of how it looks since I've never encountered this type before.

I imagine I'll need a nut driver for the job but before I attempt anything: Is this sort of truss rod approached the same way as any other (right to tight)?

There's still lacquer over it so I bet it has never been adjusted since manufacture in the '70s. This is a 12 String guitar I'm setting up - Would the neck take a little longer to react to a quarter turn? Like overnight or a few days?

Thanks for all your helpful responses - Great to have a site like this!

Oster
Posted 2006-11-21 11:29 PM (#230903 - in reply to #230895)

Well I attempted a turn on the truss but I don't think it'll solve the action problem.

Anyway, I just returned the truss to its prior position. It 'tightens' up a little too quickly in either direction for me to feel comfortable tinkering. The neck from the 12th on down is straight. It dips at the body (where I'd never play anyway). The relief is about 3/32" but it feels higher.

I think I'll just live with the slightly higher action for the moment and then bring it in for a proper set-up later on down the road.
Jason_S
Posted 2006-11-21 11:32 PM (#230904 - in reply to #230895)

that truss rod lookes to be pretty cranked down..the 4 of my o's that are trussrod models have a tall saddle,low action with a 1 1/4 total twist on the rod...jason
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)