The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
12 and a 6 string

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

45flint
Posted 2006-11-24 10:02 AM (#230422)
Subject: 12 and a 6 string

I have enjoyed the posts on the virtues of the 12 string. I have played both but have really enjoyed having an acoustic doubleneck, giving you the ability to play both during the same song. I use a flat pick and two fingers like Glen Cambell and picking a twelve can be magical. For those of you who have acoustic doubles do you tend to keep both necks on during a song? I tend to do this and have rarely used a switch to activate just one neck. Sometimes there is sympathic vibrations that you get from both necks and it can give you 18 strings sounding. Would love to hear how others use their doubles.
Steve
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim in Tidewater
Posted 2006-11-24 2:03 PM (#230423 - in reply to #230422)
Subject: Re: 12 and a 6 string

Steve,

Always leave both necks on and I love having the second neck start chiming in while playing the other. I've noticed on the deep bowl that the 12-string tends to do this more often, especially while playing chords. I tend to play chords exclusively on the 12 strings and leave the lead work to the 6 string. I find for my fat fingers, I can't get too clean on the 12 string if I'm trying to fingerpick material.

I've reach the point where I think I could (should) get rid of almost everything else except maybe the 47RI. Seems most of the others are spending all their time in the cases and that's just a shame.

Aloha_Tim
45flint
Posted 2006-11-24 9:06 PM (#230424 - in reply to #230422)

Interesting I am finding the same thing that I am always going to the double and my other guitars are taking a second seat or no seat at all. It just gives me so many different options that it makes going back to a straight six seem a little boring. Also you quickly get used to always having both necks and it just seems sort of natural. I wonder why more people don't get into this. I have posted on other acoustic sights and there are just not that many acoustic double players. Though once you find someone who has shared the experience they can relate.
Steve
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2006-11-24 9:44 PM (#230425 - in reply to #230422)

I have never tried a double (I find them intimidating)on the other hand,switching from one instrument to another,is kind a like them 45 singles,every 2-3 minutes ya had tha get up and change records,was fun too ;) ,but I must say..them double necks look impressive ;)
:cool:
Vic
Northcountry
Posted 2006-11-24 11:23 PM (#230426 - in reply to #230422)

Steve; I leave that switch on for both necks as well. Have not found a song that is so quiet I can't risk any sound wash coming through from one neck to another. I am also amazed at how comfortable this doubleneck is now that I have found the right strap lock set up for it and correct playing height. I am carving a little dragon that will look like he is holding on with his tail and claws to the old straplock location and peeking out on the end of the main body. I am making him heavy enough to help keep the neck from diving. I think I am going to "fiber optic" his eyes with a red LED too.
Fun guitar! It is not the unplugged acoustic player any of my other guitars are, but I have to say it is well made for what it is and it certainly is the most fun to play.

Tim yeah keep that Slothead Adamas! Nice piece of machinery there.

Randy
Tim in Tidewater
Posted 2006-11-25 1:14 AM (#230427 - in reply to #230422)

I'd like to hear from Chris Choate and see how he's getting on with his new doubleneck...still waiting to see some of those build pictures surface around here.
Anyone else have or have had one of these that would like to add to this discussion?

SWMBO is burning a hole in my chest for suggesting that I thin the herd...no more email offers please :)
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2006-11-25 11:34 PM (#230428 - in reply to #230422)

But Aloha Tim...it`s drawing close to X-mas..U are entitled to have someting stickin`through that hole in U`re sock ,other then U`re toe .. :confused: ;)
:cool:
Vic
Tim in Tidewater
Posted 2006-11-25 11:59 PM (#230429 - in reply to #230422)

Just a lump of coal sticking out this year I'm afraid...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)