The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
EADGBE tuning: Why was this post pulled?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

dobro
Posted 2006-11-24 7:05 PM (#230389)
Subject: EADGBE tuning: Why was this post pulled?

Hey Vic, any idea why our discussion of tuning was pulled? Don't think there was anything to censor. I do think this website on tuning is very informative:
http://lilytears.com/arts/music/guitar/methods/intro/4ths.htm
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stonebobbo
Posted 2006-11-24 7:13 PM (#230390 - in reply to #230389)
Subject: Re: EADGBE tuning: Why was this post pulled?

I'm confused. The thread is still there ... it's in the Playing Tips section.

Your link is part of an interesting site!
Paul Templeman
Posted 2006-11-24 7:37 PM (#230391 - in reply to #230389)

The thread is still there. Is this paranoia or is there another agenda?

I think the tuning stuff is interesting and absolutely valid on a site such as this intended for discussion about music. However some of the content of that website I find extremely disturbing. Anybody who is an apologist for the likes of Aleister Crowley should be regarded with extreme caution. Crowley engenders the same kind of whacko fanaticism as L Ron, Koresh and the rest of the get-rich-quick quasi-religious nutcases out there. Much of that website is nothing but propaganda for very questionable psuedo-philosophical and/or cult dogma masquerading under a broad heading of "Spirituality" and has no place on the OFC. Beware. I do not make this statement lightly. Stay away, well away.
dobro
Posted 2006-11-24 8:29 PM (#230392 - in reply to #230389)

Point well taken, Paul. I had not really explored the site's underpinnings beyond the relevance to tuning. *sigh* it seems so many things now come with some "attachement" or agenda. I personally have no interest or involvement in cult/superstitions. Such malicious garbage distracts us from the here and now. My apologies!
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2006-11-24 9:07 PM (#230393 - in reply to #230389)

Hi Dobro,Yup,thread is still there,and why would it be pulled,after all,having a guitar is but the first step ,to a long ,and at times,tidious process of pain/frustration/perspiration/inspiration/"#¤¤%.. ,and the requirements of tuition,be that by tuitors,books,websites..etc.etc...that particular site is (in my opinion)a great tool ,not only of tuition,but also of "understanding" ,showing ways of playing the guitar,exemplified by Your (and Jeff`s)exellent W-site,now Everyone ownes it to Her/Himself to have a look and a Listen of Your & Jeff`s site,.. Now That`s Playing Guitar :) I myself do for example stuff like ,"My old man`s a dustman,He wears a dustman`s hat "(by Lonnie Donnegan ) If I could reach the level of "Tamboura".."Frevo rascado"..I`d call myself a High Level Guitar Player now that other site (myspace.com) helps me to understand intricate pieces such as "Tamboura",now ,it`s a rather big site,so I have n`t checked it completely,but did notice that it`s about music B T W..Aleister Crawley,as far as I remember ,was considered a "magician" on par with "rosecrucian"of what could be compared to "the Temple Knights" ,something religious ,but come to think of it,music notation ,actually comes from a religious movement,known as the "Catholic Church" ...overhere we learn - Do Re Mi -,which comes from -Ut Re Mi- and was compiled by a Spanish Monk( his name escapes me)who based it on a Song ( Hymn ? )..so I do not quite understand Paul Templeman`s warning :confused: now this topic has nothing to do with evil spells nor satanic rites,but musical tuition/understanding ,so I would say.. Let Us Not See The devil everywhere :rolleyes: ..We have a bunch of Worship players here, Who could fend him off.... :) and " We Shall Overcome Someday".. Right ?!! ;)
:cool:
Vic
philmax
Posted 2006-11-25 12:52 AM (#230394 - in reply to #230389)

Boo
Paul Templeman
Posted 2006-11-25 8:19 AM (#230395 - in reply to #230389)

Originally posted by Enfant Terrible aka V-Elite:
B T W..Aleister Crawley,as far as I remember ,was considered a "magician" on par with "rosecrucian"of what could be compared to "the Temple Knights" ,something religious ,
Crowely had little to do with "Religion". He was an Occultist, Satanist, drug-addict and sexual deviant who practiced "Magick" (sic) Like the rest of his type his agendas were far from benign and were about nothing more than personal gain and control. He became known as "The Most Evil Man In The World" a title which he welcomed. The fact that Hubbard sought his advice during the early days of Scientology speaks volumes.

The musical content of that site is interesting, no more, no less. The bulk of the rest of it is cultist claptrap.

FYI Musical notation was not a by-product of Catholicism. The diatonic major and minor scales originated in ancient Greece and became known as "The Church Modes" in Europe much much later .
cliff
Posted 2006-11-25 10:43 AM (#230396 - in reply to #230389)

". . He was an Occultist, Satanist, drug-addict and sexual deviant . ."

Yeah, but it doesn't make him a "Bad Guy" . . . .
philmax
Posted 2006-11-25 12:06 PM (#230397 - in reply to #230389)

Oh yes, Mr. Crowely, the little satanic wannabe himself, who gagged on a turd...
dobro
Posted 2006-11-25 12:32 PM (#230398 - in reply to #230389)

I would like to make my point again: EADGBE v. EADGCF was intended as PURELY a musical discussion. I overlooked the occult garbage and for that I apologize. What's wrong with "worship players," by the way? My guitar hero did his most amazing work while involved in an intense discipline of worship and devotion, even if he took some heat for his white suit and short hair!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2006-11-25 1:02 PM (#230399 - in reply to #230389)

"He was an Occultist, Satanist, drug-addict and sexual deviant who practiced "Magick" (sic)"

You say that, like it's a bad thing. :)

Didn't Jimmy Page buy his old home at one time?
cliff
Posted 2006-11-25 1:34 PM (#230400 - in reply to #230389)

I understand he threw a HELLuva party, too . . .
an4340
Posted 2006-11-25 3:48 PM (#230401 - in reply to #230389)

Or in the immortal words of Ben Folds:

Satan is my master
He has always been
He tells me what to do
He buys my Metallica records for me
And sometimes I think...
(Insert wild guitar or piano solo)
Satan is my master

I think the problem I have with this dude is that, while he may be a musical genius (probably not since he's the only one who seems to think so) the other crapola on his site could only be taken seriously by losers. I think wanker would be the english equivalent. As such, his credibility on anything, musical or non-musical, is below zero.
philmax
Posted 2006-11-25 4:33 PM (#230402 - in reply to #230389)

dobro, no apologies needed, as you already know this group is always more than glad to find material to run a thread off topic. As for the section on tunings, I found it informative, it's just hard to ignore all that other great stuff.
dobro
Posted 2006-11-25 6:05 PM (#230403 - in reply to #230389)

Thanks Philmax. Since I am interested only in guitar and how to play better music, I agree that tacked-on riders expressing "spirituality" can be annoying or even offensive. No amount of superstition will teach you another pattern or clarify a tricky progression. Candles, smoke, chanting will NOT substitute for practice, I say! In other words, I'd rather get a lesson from JM rather than Crowley. Could the bitch even play gutiar?

Back on track: if you consider how interesting it is to tune uniformly in fourths across all strings, it might provide some inspiration. Sure did for me!
Northcountry
Posted 2006-11-25 6:30 PM (#230404 - in reply to #230389)

Somebody please just tell me when I can drink the cool-aid !
Paul Templeman
Posted 2006-11-25 8:45 PM (#230405 - in reply to #230389)

Originally posted by Mr. Ovation:
Didn't Jimmy Page buy his old home at one time?
Boskine or Boleskin house or something like that, on the shores of Loch Ness in Scotland. Page sold it a while ago. I guess it would make an interesting hotel. Or not. A friend of mine worked with Page on his Outrider album and tour and I seem to remember he visited the house. I must ask him about it next time I see him.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2006-11-25 10:31 PM (#230406 - in reply to #230389)

Hmm...In my opinion there`s absolutely nothing wrong with worship players,several of my relatives began/refined their musical talents in the church,what I meant was...if the devil wants to get into this club,then I reckon there are a bunch of church musicians who would gladly boot him out..as for that particular site..it is divided in chapters..what`s so hard in reading the ones pertaining to music..when I meet a person that I can converse with,than I could n`t care 2 friggin hoots of wether He/She smokes/drinks/skydives/climbs the himalaya ,so why would it matter what B B is personally tinkering with (unless she happens to be Brigitte Bardot) ;) There are so many who want to save me from my Guitars/Amps/Speakers/spending money ,and now it`s he devil..what will be next :confused: :)
Vic
dobro
Posted 2006-11-25 11:05 PM (#230407 - in reply to #230389)

You miss the point: Jimmy Page was deep into the occult, yeah, but he was COOL!!!
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2006-11-25 11:19 PM (#230408 - in reply to #230389)

May be I should get myself a crystal ball..
Vic
schroeder
Posted 2006-11-28 5:44 PM (#230409 - in reply to #230389)

Hey dobro - you wouldn't have had all this trouble if you'd listened to me. I told you that E to F thing was the work of the devil.
dobro
Posted 2006-11-30 8:10 AM (#230410 - in reply to #230389)

What is this that stands before me?
Figure in Black that points at me?
Oh no, God, please help me!!!
[*** heavy riffing *****]

(you're right: I'm doomed!)
cruster
Posted 2006-11-30 10:46 AM (#230411 - in reply to #230389)

Originally posted by dobro:
What is this that stands before me?
Figure in Black that points at me?
Oh no, God, please help me!!!
[*** heavy riffing *****]

(you're right: I'm doomed!)
OMG! Dobro's been sucked in to a continuously looping version of the 'cutting heads' scene from "Crossroads!" Daniel-san is going to beat him and he'll lose his soul forever! Can't someone do something??!?!?!
schroeder
Posted 2006-11-30 12:18 PM (#230412 - in reply to #230389)

Re-tune hisw guitar like the normal folks play.
dobro
Posted 2006-11-30 2:42 PM (#230413 - in reply to #230389)

OFFICIAL ALERT: The Member Formerly Known As Dobro can no longer be with you because he now serves ME. You will all serve ME soon. The only Ovation that will be allowed will the Ovation LEGION 666. You will all buy and play this model. Only black available. Submit all credit card numbers and psychic content now; to ME.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)