The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Quick question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Kilo
Posted 2006-11-25 11:05 AM (#230332)
Subject: Quick question

Hi folks, new to the board here and asking what I hope is not a dumb question. Just starting playing, and trying to decide on a guitar to learn on. Have seen a couple Celebrity models that I am interested in, but having a hard time telling the difference. Two guitars I am looking at are the CC48, which is a new model, and the CS257. What really are the differences in these guitars? Is it just the on board electronics, or is there more to it? Should I avoid the Chinese made Celebrities and find a Korean one? I realize you folks tend to spend more time with the USA made guitars, but I can't afford those at this time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2006-11-25 11:13 AM (#230333 - in reply to #230332)
Subject: Re: Quick question

I think the issue is less where it was made than how it sounds to you. The more recently made guitars have newer electronics. So you might get an OP20 on the CC48 and a OP24+ on the CS257 Celebrity Deluxe, assuming it is older. If you don't need an onboard tuner, convenient as that is, I think the CS257 is a nicer guitar in principle. If you are buying online and don't have the opportunity to play them side by side, it is more of a throw of the dice if price is similar.

Right now prices are higher due to the normal preChristmas feeding frenzy. If you are patient, you are likely to find a much better deal after the first of the year and might even find a good deal on a used USA made guitar. That's my opinion, anyway.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-11-25 12:12 PM (#230334 - in reply to #230332)

Haven't heard of the CC48, but some of the new Celebrities have solid wood tops, which is a plus. I don't care for the shallow bowls of the 257 myself. They just sound dead to me. I'd go for at least a mid-bowl.
G8r
Posted 2006-11-25 12:27 PM (#230335 - in reply to #230332)

I'm pretty sure the CSxxx series have solid tops, while the CCxxx series are lower-end with laminate tops. I have a CP2002 Limted Edition and 'tho it "smells like kimchi" like another OFC'er has said, it's a solid AA spruce top, rosewood fretboard & bridge, gold & perloid tuners & (I might get banned for saying this) I'd put the sound up against a comparable US-made O. Best of all I got it for a bottom-feeder price. The point is there are decent Korean-made O's out there to be had, but you really have to do your research.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)