The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adhesive-less Pick Guards ... and other questions

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Yak
Posted 2006-11-25 7:30 PM (#230278)
Subject: Adhesive-less Pick Guards ... and other questions

Does anyone have any experience with the clear pickguards offered on ebay, and CLEERGUARD ?

They are adhesive less and stick on like a window sticker to a smooth finish. Is there any chance at all that this would hurt my guitar?

Also, does anyone have any tips on removing the scratches that are already in the finish. They are very light and can only be seen in perfect light at the perfect angle. They arent from me. I think some heavy handed Dork had his way with my Balladeer while it was hanging on the wall at Guitar Center. :mad: I didn't notice them until several weeks after I bought it. They are barely noticable, but I know they are there and it urkes me!

I heard someone say that an automotive cleaner-wax like Zymol or Meguire's could be used? Anyone tried that? I looked for a true guitar scratch polish at GC but didn't find anything, only spray on cleaners like Dunlop 65. Which I already have.

All help is appreciated...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jason_S
Posted 2006-11-25 7:36 PM (#230279 - in reply to #230278)
Subject: Re: Adhesive-less Pick Guards ... and other questions

i use a set of polishing pads from stewmac.com to buff the scratches out then i use meguires goldclass liquid wax and hand rub it...jason
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-11-25 7:41 PM (#230280 - in reply to #230278)

I got a coupla clear pick-guards from LuxLog on E-baaa. No glue. But they do recommend not leaving them on forever. I've left mine on for a month, I don't think it hurt anything. Make sure everything is dry when you put them on.
I guess if it is a expensive show-guitar, you could put them on before use, then remove after the show. Somewhere they said they do not recommend storing a guitar with them on (covering their butts) but I play mine.
Brian T
Posted 2006-11-25 8:22 PM (#230281 - in reply to #230278)

I'm using one of those Ebay things on my T5. I was very leery at first but I have been keeping a close eye on things. It's been on nearly 6 months with no ill effects. Certainly not a bad as my pick marks. I understand that Taylor uses a polyester UV-finish, so it is not effected by the vinyl in the pick guard. I certainly would not put one on a lacquer finish guitar like a Gibson or Standard-Series Martin. I dont think it would be any problem on an Ovation.
Jason_S
Posted 2006-11-25 8:25 PM (#230282 - in reply to #230278)

o' uses a polyester finish too..thats pretty hard shit. you can rub out most pick scratches on it..jason
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-11-25 8:26 PM (#230283 - in reply to #230278)

Just to be helpful... Here's the one's I got. If you go to their store, they have assorted sizes. (I should ask for a freebie for the plug)
http://cgi.ebay.com/GuitarBra-Acoustic-Guitar-Clear-Pickguard-2-4-9...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)