The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
How Long Has It Been Since You Played "Stairway"?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

ignimbyte
Posted 2006-11-29 6:40 PM (#230073 - in reply to #230048)
Subject: Re: How Long Has It Been Since You Played "Stairway"?

Gosh, even though I wouldn't admit it, I would play Stairway to Heaven every now and then. While it's been a while since I played it, the last time was during the gig that featured our own Mitchrx at the VA Hospital last summer. I played it along with Mitch and his gigging partner that day. I forgot his name, but he's one heck of a guitarist!

The song was not even on the set list. It was just played randomly, and we all got into it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Northcountry
Posted 2006-11-29 9:03 PM (#230074 - in reply to #230048)

We actually have had a request for it! As soon as we play That's the Way or Going to California, which are now our "go to" songs for the opening of our second 50 minutes set, Once we play these we seem to get a lot of response! Then later; I have to say of all the classic rock we play the Zeppelin we still have is always the most popular of all the bands. Zeppelin really had something that was more timeless (than anyone we cover) we have yet to find. They had a "Majic" more so than even the Floyd and that's saying something. After everyone here's our sets, toward the end, we have had requests for Stairway and so far we have not turned it down. The people are'nt kidding about wanting to hear it! Amazing actually, This song was played more than any song ever I think!

I missed seeing these guy's in 77 and 79. What a mistake.

Randy
cliff
Posted 2006-11-29 10:00 PM (#230075 - in reply to #230048)

". . 50 minutes set . ."

pussies.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-11-29 10:23 PM (#230076 - in reply to #230048)

Not to talk bad about Led Zep... But people ask me why I listen to so much NPR at work, instead of one of the rock stations... "New music mostly sux, and there is only so many times I can listen to Stairway to Heaven" (forgive me)
But y'all are right, it seems that they don't play it that much anymore. That's a loss.
If given a choice between Zep and Floyd, or Nirvana and Red-Hot Chili Peppers... I will definitely stick with "Goin' to California" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".
Northcountry
Posted 2006-11-30 9:27 PM (#230077 - in reply to #230048)

Yeah Cliff, three 50 minute sets. The Outdoor Party Gig's are very open ended we give the party three or four hours of music, perhaps more, and we charge heavy. Bar gig's around here are fun only rarly. Believe me when it is a dead night and the small crowd is silent, it is tough getting through a night, we just play like it is practice for us and do exactly the 50 minutes and get the F out. The good nights when we can get the place hoppin; 50 minutes does not mean so much. We charge $300 but have standing gig's for $250 at the bars that we can almost show up and play when we want. I can remember back in 79-81 you could make $300-$400 cash as a solo act almost anywhere and the bars were searching for guy's to fill the off nights! You play two night a week and could live like a king back then.
Times have changed big time now. Aaron does his Solo act a lot we only get together when the bar wants a little more out of the set lists. (I add the Zeppelin & the Young)
He plays and teaches music for a living and always has. I barely have the time or the energy to do the gig some nights. Works out for us both this way.
I really do not know why I stopeed all together Cliff back when I did?? It is the most fun you can have when you hit a lively crowd! You know.

Randy
Tommy M.
Posted 2006-11-30 9:41 PM (#230078 - in reply to #230048)

Cliff,
I'm sure you probably know that there was a parody done to Stairway, using the lyrics from Gilligan's Island, released in the early 70's.. I think Page and Plant sued for rights. The best I've seen was on a SC TV skit of John Candy, and Rick Moranis, doing Stairway at a Polkafest. Hysterical version.
mhaanpaa
Posted 2006-12-01 1:03 AM (#230079 - in reply to #230048)

Stairway to Gilligan
Tommy M.
Posted 2006-12-01 9:03 AM (#230080 - in reply to #230048)

Yes, there it is. Love it.
cliff
Posted 2006-12-01 9:10 AM (#230081 - in reply to #230048)

No . . I'd never HEARD that one.

I learned it from someone I used t'jam with many moons ago . . . . perhaps HE'd heard it.
alpep
Posted 2006-12-01 9:31 AM (#230082 - in reply to #230048)

Originally posted by mhaanpaa:
Stairway to Gilligan
that lasted about a week until page and plant and their big fat manager got on it.
72tour
Posted 2006-12-01 4:05 PM (#230083 - in reply to #230048)

Old Man Arthur, my thoughts exactly. I thought me and my Dad were the only ones who listened to NPR haha! I love the diversity of their shows. EVerything from the American Roots show to the BBC news every once in a while.
FlySig
Posted 2006-12-01 8:35 PM (#230084 - in reply to #230048)

I will admit that I play it almost every day that I play. With my travel schedule I usually only get to practice 3 or 4 times per week. Somehow it just starts playing itself as I noodle around.

When nobody else is home I like to crank the stereo and play to old vinyl LPs from my high school days. Stairway is nearly always one of the songs.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-12-01 8:39 PM (#230085 - in reply to #230048)

Fly - I do that as well.. I still have many vinyls that I don't have on CD - all of the Beatles albums for one. Slowly starting to catch up though.
FlySig
Posted 2006-12-01 10:48 PM (#230086 - in reply to #230048)

Originally posted by CrimsonLake:
Fly - I do that as well.. I still have many vinyls that I don't have on CD - all of the Beatles albums for one. Slowly starting to catch up though.
I've been considering transfering some of those old LPs to CD.

Back in the 70's when I was a teenager, my parents used to complain that the music was too loud. Now that I'm a parent with teenage kids, my kids are complaining that the music is too loud.

Some things never change! :D
Northcountry
Posted 2006-12-02 12:25 PM (#230087 - in reply to #230048)

Yeah all the You Tube stuff is gone! Is Peter Grant still around?? If so, then this explains it, if not; he'd be proud! Someone is keepin his boy's obscure and any image or sound track has monitary value.
tragocaster
Posted 2006-12-02 12:31 PM (#230088 - in reply to #230048)

Originally posted by mhaanpaa:
Stairway to Gilligan
Haven't heard that in a while!

As a matter of fact I was playing STH just the other day - believe it or not. I used to play in a guitar/mando duo, and we'd play wacky versions of various pop tunes. We'd play bluegrass renditions of Beatle tunes, Kiss, etc. and STH was one of the ones that we mangled.

Whenever I think of STH now, I always think of it with a "boom-chick, boom-chick..." feel.

We also did a version of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", which started out normal, then shifted to reggae, and then bluegrass on all of the choruses. So it became verse=reggae, chorus=bluegrass, but on the last out-chorus we'd shift to a swing time, and shuffle it out 'til the end. Usually people dug it, but sometimes they just didn't get it at all. It was all instrumental too. The vocal lines were all played on the mando. Maybe that's what confused 'em? :rolleyes:
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)