The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Who was the first OFC member that you met in person and where?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Phil Wong
Posted 2006-11-29 6:43 PM (#229575)
Subject: Who was the first OFC member that you met in person and where?

I'm not sure if this topic was ever posted before but here it goes. The first event that I attended was the OFC Tour 2004. I arrived at the hotel and saw the large crowd. I needed to find out who Al and Miles were. I am not comfortable when it comes to meeting large groups of people that I don't know. It usually take me a little while to warm up to people. As it turns out I took a deep breath and walked up to the first person I saw. He turned out to be Hizzoner/Craig. He made me feel more at ease and pointed me in the direction of Al and he in turn showed me who Miles was. So that's it. The next person after that was Woz and then Moody, Cliff, Michael Wong...
So what's your story?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-11-29 6:53 PM (#229576 - in reply to #229575)
Subject: Re: Who was the first OFC member that you met in person and where?

I can't remember the order. It might have been tdeej, our other Idaho member. We had a few discussions about meeting up if he was in Boise or I was in Moscow.
He was driving through Boise and called. He had a van full of family, so I said I'd meet him at a restaurant. We arrived there during a downpour, so I tried out his beautiful 1547 in his van with his family all there, probably thinking we were nuts.
Went down to Phoenix to deliver the Wooden Roundback to StandingOvation in March of last year. Around the same time, stonebobbo was in Idaho and we met out by the airport.
Finally, a bunch of us met up in Portland last August.
Weaser P
Posted 2006-11-29 6:56 PM (#229577 - in reply to #229575)

I was early at the '05 event and sat outside by the pool wondering where the newbies line up for the ceremonial initiation spanking (I'm still waiting). Little by little people started showing and, well shoot, I'm a shy guy, so I waited until I saw a face I recognized from pics here. Sure enough, that Waskely Wabbit walked out and I knew I was in the right place. Stonebobbo was next (though I have to admit I wasn't sure if he was cwk2 or Bob Seger).

Great topic, Phil.
cliff
Posted 2006-11-29 7:02 PM (#229578 - in reply to #229575)

The first person I spoke to was Bill, who called me about a half hour I joined . . .

The first person I ever "met" was Al.
A little while after I joined, Jeanette & drove down to the South Jersey Guitar Show in Pennsauken. I was at a table at the front door paying admission with a vintage brown Ovation case in my hand. Al pounced on me. "Whatcha' got in the case??? . . . oh, are you Cliff??"

He then took me over to his table, where I met Master Keller and Miles.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-11-29 7:09 PM (#229579 - in reply to #229575)

...sad but true.
Weaser P
Posted 2006-11-29 7:10 PM (#229580 - in reply to #229575)

Originally posted by cliff:
The first person I spoke to was Bill, who called me about a half hour I joined . . .
"So, Cliff, this is Bill...tell me...ya ever think about llamas...? Be honest now..."
Jason_S
Posted 2006-11-29 7:13 PM (#229581 - in reply to #229575)

first member i met in person was cliff at the nor'eastern gathering,cliff was looking at pretty blue viper with a heiniken in hand, then tuppy and bill,tepm..ect..ect..jason
stonebobbo
Posted 2006-11-29 7:17 PM (#229582 - in reply to #229575)

Stonebobbo was next (though I have to admit I wasn't sure if he was cwk2 or Bob Seger).
I am a man of many disguises. :cool:

I don't recall exactly who the "first" was, but I met a whole of of folks within 30 seconds of entering the lobby at the first OFC tour. Miles, Al, Cliff, Hizzoner, Michael Wong, Johnny (Strummin' 12), Templeman, and a whole bunch of others. I've been lucky to have met a lot of different people here at one time or another. You just may not know which persona it was ...
Joyful Noise
Posted 2006-11-29 7:22 PM (#229583 - in reply to #229575)

Are you kidding? I've been around here long enough to know better. I spend most of my time trying to avoid meeting any of you guys. I know a truly dangerous crowd when I see one!
:D :D
Well, maybe one of these days.
tdeej
Posted 2006-11-29 7:46 PM (#229584 - in reply to #229575)

Met up with Mark in Boise on a snowy/rainy winter day. Sure enjoyed meeting up with all at the NW gathering as well. I will always remember Mark's parting statememt to the effect, "keep on buying more ovations." As we drove off, my wife broke out hysterically with "that was like telling a drunk to buy more booze."
BruDeV
Posted 2006-11-29 8:01 PM (#229585 - in reply to #229575)

Paul Moody at the 2nd(?) NAMM get-together at his house. He had to leave shortly there-after and his wife left for a school meeting of some sort, so there I was greeting people at the door of a house that wasn't mine for a party I wasn't throwing. Just as well I showed up early.
Weaser P
Posted 2006-11-29 8:03 PM (#229586 - in reply to #229575)

Wait a minute.

You met at Paul's hose?

I gotta stop reading some of these.
Trader Jim
Posted 2006-11-29 8:27 PM (#229587 - in reply to #229575)

No one yet, but I am due to meet Gospel Guitar Guy (Mike) this winter when the family and I go to Tenn. and maybe do a little pickin' and grinin'.. :D
Paulcc1
Posted 2006-11-29 8:31 PM (#229588 - in reply to #229575)

Waskel at the hotel for the 05 tour. Nice guy also the second person was Woz who also is nice. So to be honest this group of people are simply great.
Paul
72tour
Posted 2006-11-29 8:32 PM (#229589 - in reply to #229575)

Hmm, I think I saw gh1 first. I don't remember who he was talking to. Then I went out back and met Mark and the rest who got there early.
Jason_S
Posted 2006-11-29 8:42 PM (#229590 - in reply to #229575)

i expect to meet many more at the '07 tour....jason
Paul Templeman
Posted 2006-11-29 8:48 PM (#229591 - in reply to #229575)

Moody. He picked me up at LAX when I flew in for winter NAMM '03. That seems like such a long time ago now
ignimbyte
Posted 2006-11-29 9:11 PM (#229592 - in reply to #229575)

Jeff W. introduced himself to me while we were signing up at the Ovation Factory tour that rainy Friday morning. Finding my way around the factory, I met Alpep and we briefly introduced each other. During the Hamer tour, I met Mitchrx, his son Andrew, Bill (Weaser) and so on...

I hope to make it on the 2007 tour to meet new members, and to be formally introduced to the folks that I never had the opportunity to meet last year.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-11-29 9:14 PM (#229593 - in reply to #229575)

The one and only that I met so far is Al when I went to pick up my #47. I got to play a few guitars, see the construction and have some good conversation.

I was in the same building as Stuart Miller (and probably picked up his future mandacello!) but we didn't actually meet.

I too am looking forward to meeting many others at upcoming events.
MWoody
Posted 2006-11-29 9:27 PM (#229594 - in reply to #229575)

I met Mr.Golf007, Kurt, when I went to his house about 15 miles away and pick up a copy of the "Book".

It is the same book that is in circulation with the OFC.

Soon after I started recruiting... Andrew?
Tupperware
Posted 2006-11-29 9:35 PM (#229595 - in reply to #229575)

Interesting questions. I don't know the order of things anymore but I do know that one day Moody showed up at my door with a Nashville strung Legend in his hand. Not sure of that was before or after the 1st tour. I do remember that the first tour was at a different hotel and as soon as I walked in I saw three scruffy looking guys at the bar, who turned out to be Cliff, Temp and Al. Mike Wong was practicing segovia scales. It was all just a blur. Well before that I had spoken to Samova a few times and maybe once to Bob Frith. Prior to OFC days I had a few phone discussions with Budny way back into the mid 70's. The phone was rotary. Dave
Erniewan
Posted 2006-11-29 9:52 PM (#229596 - in reply to #229575)

I think Karen and I met Johnny (strummin 12) in the lobby of the Hilton for the 2005 tour.

I, like Phil, have a bit of reservation going up to a large group. Johnny came up and introduced himself as we were just taking in the din of all the guitars playing in the lobby.

ernie
cliff
Posted 2006-11-29 9:57 PM (#229597 - in reply to #229575)

"So, Cliff, this is Bill...tell me...ya ever think about llamas...? Be honest now..."

Actually, the conversation was centered more around my SlotHead . . .

Come t'think of it, . . . the situation was likewise with Al, Keller & Miles . . .

Come t'THINK of it, . . it was ALSO the case with Moody, Wong, & Witko . . .

I think I'm developing a "complex" . . . .

This is depressing . . .

(At least Templeman & I didn't even TALK about guitars until we got totally FitShaced at the bar after meeting for the first time . . . blood may be thicker than water, but alcohol is the Great Common Denominator.)
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2006-11-29 10:25 PM (#229598 - in reply to #229575)

Samova.

My son and I were watching a PBS documentary on Bob Marley and the Wailers had a Deacon or BWinner in the band. Adam yelled "LOOK AT THAT GUITAR!" I said "That's one of those old Ovation electrics. I wanted one so bad when I was a teenager." To which he replied "You've gotta get one of those." I never even knew there were more models of solidbodies.

I looked on ebay and found a beat up Deacon with a Breadwinner neck and no case, a real dog. I also started reading the Breadwinner Fanpage, where I found out about Sam. I emailed him the pix from the auction to get his opinion. He said not to bid over $300, and that he had a beautiful Deacon for sale. I bid $305 and lost, then called him to see his Deacon (and slothead, and other amazing guitars). Left Sam's house with the Deacon.

Of course I met Philmax, cholloway and PopCritic at the SE gather... great guys.

Jas
xnoel
Posted 2006-11-29 11:11 PM (#229599 - in reply to #229575)

First member I met was Matt Smith at one of his clinics in OKC. Great guy!
Next went to Paul Wags house in Ft. Worth. George Dudek (sp?) and ttenn. Also some other folks. Had a great time. We haven't heard from Paul in a long time and have not had a post from George since that night, even ttenn has been quiet lately.
Met Tim Good from Edmond in Brother Bobbys one day he had his Folklore LX in for a question. That was in April of this year.
Hope to meet some of the other OFCers that live in this area.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)