The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Nancy Wilson and her slothead

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-11-30 10:16 AM (#229501)
Subject: Nancy Wilson and her slothead

Thought you guys might enjoy this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qsO9Ms7Ns&mode=related&search=
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-11-30 10:32 AM (#229502 - in reply to #229501)
Subject: Re: Nancy Wilson and her slothead

Excellent - here's a version with a different guitar and a longer intro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1vzJrE-oIc&mode=related&search=
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-11-30 10:57 AM (#229503 - in reply to #229501)

Custom Legend. Also there was one of her playing a Legend. Pity she doesn't play Ovations any more...
Beal
Posted 2006-11-30 12:07 PM (#229504 - in reply to #229501)

Pity they don't care.
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2006-11-30 12:16 PM (#229505 - in reply to #229501)

Here's Ann playing an Elite.

ANyone have the tab for the mando intro to this?

Battle of Evermore - Heart
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2006-11-30 12:16 PM (#229506 - in reply to #229501)

Nancy still plays Ovation, just not onstage. If you go to Heart's website, there is a picture there of her recording/music room, with the guitars she uses. In that picture is an Ovation (a Elite, I believe), but not her slothead.

Roger
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2006-11-30 12:17 PM (#229507 - in reply to #229501)

Hizzoner, as I recall, the mando tab for "Battle Of Evermore" is on the Mandolin Cafe website.

Roger
LeStrange1
Posted 2006-11-30 12:39 PM (#229508 - in reply to #229501)

Nancy played a blue-greenish 12-String Ovation 2 years ago in the live concert "Alive In Seattle" which is now available on DVD. She usually plays "Dog & Butterfly" with a 12-String Custom Legend.
I've seen Ann play a white Ovation Viper in "The Road Home" video.

Heart is just a kick azz band no matter what guitars they use.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2006-11-30 8:14 PM (#229509 - in reply to #229501)

My wife and I saw Heart the summers of 2004 and 2006 here near Detroit; Nancy uses her Takamine 6-string for "Dog and Butterfly" now. No Ovations in sight either show.

The blue-green SSB Balladeer 12-string as well as the Custom Legend 12-string belong to Ann......saw that on a website somewhere.....

I totally agree about Heart....my favorite band....

Roger
MikeStull
Posted 2006-11-30 8:20 PM (#229510 - in reply to #229501)

Watching Nancy play an Ovation late '70's is one of the reasons I bought my first Ovation. The Wilson sisters rocked then and still rock. Anne's voice and Nancy's guitar, excellent. Talent and beauty can coexist.
LeStrange1
Posted 2006-11-30 9:59 PM (#229511 - in reply to #229501)

Nancy must've used the 12-String Balladeer just in the Alive In Seattle DVD. I saw them in Biloxi in 2004 too.
That was the Summer Of Love Tour and it was excellent and the energy was on fire but I saw no Balladeer then either.
For the DVD she used the Balladeer for the Elton John song "Mona Lisa's And Mad Hatter's." The Ovation sounded so stunningly beautiful on that song. I've watched it prolly a hundred times and that's the first song I go to and only then can I watch the rest of that DVD.
I hope that they continue to make their music for a long time. This band had a huge influence on me growing up and now it's been roughly 30 years that I've followed the band through all of the music and the changes that took place.

Peace ~ LeStranger
Englishplayer
Posted 2006-11-30 11:37 PM (#229512 - in reply to #229501)

Just saw Heart this summer and there were no ovations. for her 12 string choice, Nancy used a takamine.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-12-03 1:57 AM (#229513 - in reply to #229501)

I was bored, so I went thru a bunch of Heart videos on U tube. Don't understand. Nancy just suddenly quit using O's. Seen her with a coupla strats, and other electrics. Then (I guess) a Tak or two on stage, doing acoustic with her sister. But there are 30 YEARS worth of videos, and she has O's for two decades of them. I'm confused.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2006-12-03 2:23 AM (#229514 - in reply to #229501)

Is it a phase people go through :confused:
:cool:
Vic
Englishplayer
Posted 2006-12-03 8:41 AM (#229515 - in reply to #229501)

She also had an epiphone electric this summer for which she does adds. Is it possible endorsements have made an ugly entrance into the Heart world?
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2006-12-03 9:16 AM (#229516 - in reply to #229501)

Nancy explained her turning away from Ovation in an interview in Acoustic Guitar magazine several years ago....she saw/heard Pete Townshend playing a Takamine, and had been hungering for a more natural acoustic sound. Tried Takamine and stayed with it. She says that Ovations have a more percussive sound, which is not what she is looking for onstage now.

You can read the story here:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag81/gear81.shtml

Roger
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-03 10:07 AM (#229517 - in reply to #229501)

" . . . crave that more acoustic sound . . ."

What? Does she unplug and play her Tak through a megaphone?

Ovation unplugged= ACOUSTIC
Every other woodbox on the planet unplugged= ACOUSTIC

Someone care to define for me what the proper definition of "Acoustic Sound" is as it applies to guitars not plugged into an electrical amplification source?
Englishplayer
Posted 2006-12-03 10:50 AM (#229518 - in reply to #229501)

Yes, I have that article, but Jeff W makes a great point about acoustic amplified sound. What about the epiphone electric? Was she shooting for a new electric sound that could only be found with an epiphone?? I guess you can't get that epiphone sound from a Fender or a Gibson. Either way, I love her playing and her live performances are great, as can be seen on the youtube videos.

As many of us have stated, the problem may be with Ovation and the way they deal, or don't deal with artists. In my opinion, There should be a Nancy Wilson model. Ovation, if you are listening and still have her phone number please give her a call and get the ball rolling. Ovation, once you get that going rip that rainsong out of Ann's hand and get her an adamas.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2006-12-03 11:02 AM (#229519 - in reply to #229501)

She feels that Ovation has its place (as she says in the article), it's just apparently not onstage anymore. She does keep one in her recording room.

The Epiphone deal.....she had used a Gibby Les Paul Junior for some onstage stuff....apparently because it weighed the least of any LP. The Epiphone is a new Les Paul Ultra model that has a lightweight chambered body, a Strat-like top chamfer for easier fit and play, plus a slim neck with a 1 5/8" nut for her smaller hands. She asked for something, they made it, and now they sell it!!!! She definitely used it last summer for ONE song, one of the Zep covers, when I and my wife saw them.

Roger
samova
Posted 2006-12-03 11:11 AM (#229520 - in reply to #229501)

Nancy just signed with Martin and she now has her own Nancy Wilson model..I think she is over the ovation thing.Ovation can call her till the cows come home.She has moved on and is doing what she feels is best for her sound and career.

I have seen this trend a lot the last couple of years.Wood boxes are "in" right now on stage.You just dont see many Ovations on stage any more..Are ovations out for now?It seems that way exept for us few die hard fans.I will always own and play a few Adamas/Ovation guitars but i gotta tell you my Goodall and Martins are amazing sounding guitars..

One other thought is since Ovation and Takamine are the same company.Why in the world does ovation not come out with a wood guitar line.They already have the factory that can crank out wood sides and back and they have the ability to finish them.Hell even rainsong stepped outside the box and made a wood sides and back model..Just some thoughts..
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-12-03 11:32 AM (#229521 - in reply to #229501)

Those are interesting observations Sam. But there are some people who don't tend to follow trends. I've played a ton of Martins and have found very very few (2, to be precise)that really ring my chimes. Never played a Taylor that I would spend good money on. I've have played Larivees, Lowdens, Collings, and a few others that I've really liked.

You're right that the trend, on stage, is to wood box guitars. But I've never been good at following trends. I go with what I like. I also drive a 23 year old Rx-7 instead of a Porsche or BMW.

When I was in Phoenix at Witko's house a month ago, I played everything he owned, including his Martins. The guitar I kept coming back to was his #47 of #47. It was the best, most dynamic sounding guitar he owned.

I guess a main reason Ovation doesn't built a wood box guitar is that they are pretty well at capacity in manufacturing as it is.

What I don't understand is where Ovation is selling their high end guitars. Guitar Center makes it horribly difficult to even test drive one. They are high up on the wall where they can't be taken down and played without help, and the salesmen do not ever suggest them to people. At least not any time that I've ever been a GC.
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-03 11:39 AM (#229522 - in reply to #229501)

Sam, You and I must be attached at the heart. I've been saying those exact same things for years. Ovation has some of the best engineers and luthiers in the business who could accomplish an amazing wood box guitar if they wanted to. The Ovation roundback will always have a special place in my heart, and some ovation and adamas guitars are truely amazing. A few models can compete with the better wooden box guitars, but for christ's sake at some point if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!
Slipkid
Posted 2006-12-03 11:42 AM (#229523 - in reply to #229501)

My local GC won't even carry a high end Ovation.
And the Koa Collector is still sitting at Huber-Breese because nobody on the sales staff there will make the effort to sell it!!
FlySig
Posted 2006-12-03 12:12 PM (#229524 - in reply to #229501)

Originally posted by CrimsonLake:
Excellent - here's a version with a different guitar and a longer intro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1vzJrE-oIc&mode=related&search=
Is it me, or is it getting hot in here? Holy Smokes! I never like "chick rock" on the radio, but this performance would have changed my mind if I had seen it back in the 70's.
samova
Posted 2006-12-03 12:45 PM (#229525 - in reply to #229501)

Brad, my local guitar center does have several adamas models,Custom legends and other high end ovations but they just sit there month after month unsold.I know some of the employees there and they tell me its almost impossible to sell high end ovations.I think once you get to a certain price point,consumers buy the wood boxes.Exotic looking woods and binding appear more lagit to most consumers than a plastic bowl.It gives the feel of craftmanship and as i said earlier wood boxes are "in" right now.Also, the stiff competition from the very popular blueridge,epiphone master series(under $1000),great sounding yamaha's and seagulls,15 and 16 series martins for under $1000 are also hurting ovation sales..

The other point i wanted to make is that ovation is restricted in what they can do with a guitar.The bowl really confines ovation as to what they can do.You can change the type of top with different woods(spruce,cedar,koa,etc) but thats it no sides and back combinations that allow wood box mfg. to change things up,voice the guitars differently and introduce new and different models.Ovation's they are handicapped.You can change the top panel and maybe modify the neck slightly but the bowl is the bowl.It takes away creactivity!Sooner or later all that will be left is different soundhole shapes and rosettes.That does not do anything for me.Thats just cosmetic.
Ovation needs to think outside the bowl(box) and consider wood guitars.This will allow them to get creative.
Unless the higher ups are just content and dont care.Its just a job.Let me get my 9-5 in and let someone else worry about it.Just put out the numbers and keep shareholders happy.

If thats the case at Ovation then forget everything i wrote above.I'll just keep buying and playing my wood boxes and move on.I for one am looking for that innovative company during the 60's to become innovative again.They are starting to feel dated..
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)