The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
On Being Content: My guitars...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-02 11:29 AM (#229052)
Subject: On Being Content: My guitars...

Over the last few days I've spent dedicated time playing each of the guitars in my humble collection. Though my collection has been bigger at times, and I have a few out taking vacation with other OFC members, that was never really important to me. I've always persued guitars for their sound, overall quality and instruments I wouldn't hesitate taking out of the confines of my home to play. And I must say that I am very pleased and content with the current brood. I love each of these guitars each time I pick them up to play. Even though I don't have as many guitars as I once did, these are the right guitars.

What follows is a list of them with a little blurb about what I appreciate most about them:

Lowden O25 Cedar/ Rosewood- beautifully handmade, perfect quality and sounds like a freakin' piano. Though this guitar is a VERY fine wooden instrument, it is made to play out. The neck system makes resets a thing of the past. Plays like a dream and loud with light gauge strings. It LOVES finger-picking and drop tunings.

Ovation Folklore Deluxe FD-14- This maybe my favorite all-around guitar. It does it all. If I had to get rid of all but one guitar, this would be a front runner as the one to keep. It plays great, It sounds wonderful, willing to handle quiet passages under fingers or strumming the hell out of it with a heavy pick, bring it on plugged or unplugged and so comfortable to hold.

Ovation Pacemaker 1115 12 string- The playability of this 12 is superb. It plays as easy as any fine 6 string. Refinished, upgraded A-braced, it sounds and looks great... and I got it a a good price. I'm very, very happy with this guitar.

Hirade HD90 Classical- As nice a sounding and playing Classical as you will find and the Preamp is absolutely killer.

Custom Adamas (Ute)- I still haven't discovered all this guitar is capable of. Out of habit, I first put medium gauge strings on this guitar, it was almost too big... switched to light gauge and ZINNNNNNNNNNNG! Wow. Tone, volume, balance and sustain. This guitar out-sustains the Lowden and that's saying something. It sustains forever, twice as long as the Folklore Deluxe. 1-7/8" nut, cutaway, 12fret, pure acoustic made to my specs, how can I not love it? All manor of strings sound great on it, gypsy, silk&steel, steel all sound great. Mid-bowl makes the playing comfort extraordinary. This would be the other contender for the one "Keeper"... and might edge-out the FD14.

Adamas U681T "Ute'- Currently in hiding in a small London suburb... The Ute has been very well documented and it's merits well-known. 'nuff said.

Wooden Roundback- A well-made wooden replica of an Ovation ShallowBowl. It is a curiosity and a sentimental guitar that got me through a few years in Asia. Currently on tour bringing smiles to other OFCers.

Hamer Echotone Semi- I'm not much of an electric player but, this guitar is my favorite of those I have owned and played. Growls with bluesy attitude but, you can also squeeze-out a variety cool tones. Great quality for an inexpensive guitar. It has recently embarked a little excursion to some rather sordid characters in the NorthWest.

'86 Japanese Strat- Hey, it's a Strat and as good or better quality than most any Strat made anywhere in the last 30 years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-02 11:44 AM (#229053 - in reply to #229052)
Subject: Re: On Being Content: My guitars...

No matter what anyone says about you, Jeff, at least your guitar collection is well-rounded. I'd like to try a Lowden someday.
Next semester my daughter will be studying in Spain. When we visit her in March, I hope to scope out a couple of traditional classical and flamenco guitars and see what they're all about.

EDIT: By the way, most people would not consider your collection "modest." I'm more of a cheapskate with quantity. The guitar that I seem to enjoy most from the standpoint of bang for the buck is my Folklore. I enjoy the 12 fret necks, so I don't have a great desire to move up to a FD-14 if I had the opportunity.
gh1
Posted 2006-12-02 11:53 AM (#229054 - in reply to #229052)

Perfect!
Exactly the configuration i'm looking for. Half a dozen or so great guitars, each with their unique niche, filled with elegance.

I'm still rotating the herd looking for such a configuration. Of the ten or so i now have only one is slated for a permanent residence, the 1547.

Three guitars i currently lust for:
Hamer Improv -- or jazz box alternative
Santa Cruz H-13 -- looking to replace my Martin 000-28EC
Unidentified blues guitar.

Here's to contentment, cheers!
______
gh1
MWoody
Posted 2006-12-02 11:57 AM (#229055 - in reply to #229052)

And what about the solidbodies?
Slipkid
Posted 2006-12-02 12:02 PM (#229056 - in reply to #229052)

I know what you mean Jeff.
I'm very happy with my current collection.
Waskel
Posted 2006-12-02 12:14 PM (#229057 - in reply to #229052)

Jeff, how would you compare the Pacemaker to the newer LX 12's?
seesquare
Posted 2006-12-02 12:36 PM (#229058 - in reply to #229052)

Minor point, but perhaps significant. Regarding your magnanimous loan of the Hamer Echotone, is "sorted" what you meant, as in carefully selected, or "sordid" as in of degraded character, vile & base? Conjectural, probably.
And, 1115 vs. LX 12- is the LX a 12-fretter?
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-02 12:39 PM (#229059 - in reply to #229052)

I played John B's (I think) Legend LX 12 and have to admit it is a gorgeous looker and player. Great tone too. Materials aesthetics and build quality, the nod has to go to the LX. However volume was comparable in each and I'd say the tone of the LX is slightly brighter, though my pacemaker was more rangy (more bottom)... keep in mind my Pacemaker is A-braced. Not all Pacemakers are and in my opinion sounds much better than those that aren't. I like the fatter neck profile on the Pacemaker more. My P'maker is pure acoustic also. With the OP Pro and XLR in the LX, it might appeal you you.

Overall, the LX would be a difficult guitar to turn down, but not so much more, that I feel the need to swap out my Pacemaker.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-02 12:42 PM (#229060 - in reply to #229052)

Originally posted by seesquare:
Minor point, but perhaps significant. Regarding your magnanimous loan of the Hamer Echotone, is "sorted" what you meant, as in carefully selected, or "sordid" as in of degraded character, vile & base? Conjectural, probably.
And, 1115 vs. LX 12- is the LX a 12-fretter?
Whoops...the latter.

...now corrected.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-02 12:53 PM (#229061 - in reply to #229052)

Chris,
The LX are 14... which might explain the bigger bottom end on your former Pacemaker.
tdeej
Posted 2006-12-02 1:27 PM (#229062 - in reply to #229052)

Great (and envialbe) group, Jeff.

gh1,
I've been studying parlors this past week, and the SCGC h13 seems to be the cat's meow. Have you played one?
Interestingly, a 97 collectors on ebay is being advertised as a parlor. Is this widely held by many?
Oster
Posted 2006-12-02 1:46 PM (#229063 - in reply to #229052)

I need to find some contentment! I went to my local Ovation dealer and brought along my old and ailing Glen Campbell 12. I A/B'd it with an LX 12 and was surprised to find that the higher action I've been fretting over (pun intended) on my GC was no better, in fact a little worse, on the brand new LX.

The difference of course is that the LX has a brand new truss rod ready to tackle such things whereas my old guitar is turning out to be a series of compromises I'm finding a hard time finding contentment about:

- For one the GC, despite its concave top, actually sounded far better than anything else in the shop. The proprieter himself commented on its tone.
- I prefer the detailing on the GC. The new LX had very classy looks but to me it didn't look as 'handmade' or hand crafted if you know what I mean.

I can either accept this old guitar for the old survivor that it is (ineffectual truss rod, dipping top, way-lowered saddle and just slightly higher than ideal action and all) or I can risk losing what makes it sound the way it does by having severe corrective work done to it (new neck, new top...).

I was tempted to buy the LX just for the clean slate it affords but after much thought I think 'contentment' is something I need to find with what I have (either that or find a higher paying job!)

Great post! Contentment is indeed something we all aspire towards with our guitars.
gh1
Posted 2006-12-02 1:49 PM (#229064 - in reply to #229052)

tdeej:
Yes i've played the H13, at Pioneer Music in downtown Portland. It is a really sweet guitar. The one they had was the sunburst model and i really didn't like the look. I think i may see if they will do a custom build -- and just how much that would cost. I don't know the full history of this guitar, but i think it was modeled off a 1920 - 1930 Gibson Lucas. At least that is what the folks at Pioneer said. SGC made a limite run of them in the late 70's i think and only recently started making them again. This info may be wrong, so don't take it to the bank. I haven't researched it, only have second hand info. Whatever the history, it is a great sounding guitar, and quite unique with 13 frets to the body.

Regarding the parlor size. I think it is kind of a generic term, but basically where the upper bout is smaller and tappered in relation to the size of the lower bout. I have a 97C and i would call that a parlor configuration. The 97 has a really cute voice, esp plugged in. If you're passing through, you know where i live :)

_____
gh1
tdeej
Posted 2006-12-02 1:57 PM (#229065 - in reply to #229052)

gh1,
Here's the supposed history, including the Nick Lucas models, Dylan's guitars, etc.: SCGC Parlor plus history

Jeff has taken the route I have been considering lately: more high end; less quantity
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-02 2:06 PM (#229066 - in reply to #229052)

Oster,

Sounds like your guitar might want to make a trip back to the MotherShip. Paul "Moody PI" is currently having his GC12 revitalized at the factory. They can rescue it, even make it better than it was before... look into it before you go getting rid of it...
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-02 2:08 PM (#229067 - in reply to #229052)

Originally posted by MWoody:
And what about the solidbodies?
Only the Strat remains.
Oster
Posted 2006-12-02 2:15 PM (#229068 - in reply to #229052)

Originally posted by Jeff W.:
Oster,

Sounds like your guitar might want to make a trip back to the MotherShip. Paul "Moody PI" is currently having his GC12 revitalized at the factory. They can rescue it, even make it better than it was before... look into it before you go getting rid of it...
I've made contact with the 'Ship and have my return auth. # I do love this guitar and have no intention of getting rid of it but I'm at the point now where I'm wondering if I should just accept it as is. Would I really want a new neck on it?

Your post struck a chord since I agree that it's contentment with a guitar that is most important.

Something I'm trying to decide (I'm an admitted guitar obsessive).
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-02 2:24 PM (#229069 - in reply to #229052)

Easy enough for the MotherShip to give it a look, let you know what they think/recommend... then you decide what to do, have them work on her or send her home...

Much contentment comes from the guitar feelin' right when your playing... my two cents.
Oster
Posted 2006-12-02 3:17 PM (#229070 - in reply to #229052)

Originally posted by Jeff W.:

Much contentment comes from the guitar feelin' right when your playing... my two cents.
True enough! ;) I'll admit that part of it is me not wanting to be without my guitar for however long.

On the other hand, getting the guitar looked at/treated by its very place of manufacture is a very cool prospect!
Beal
Posted 2006-12-02 4:13 PM (#229071 - in reply to #229052)

Yes we are all obsessive abut our instruments.I can say that I am pretty happy with all of mine(49A,36E,38N) but there are a handful that I could live without and there's a few others I'd like to add. No matter what they are this is always a true statement. It does keep it fun.
I recently got a Phillips parlor size cutaway resonator and it's a very nice suprise. I also picked up a Nugget mandola which is WAY over my head but fun to play with.
HobbyPicker
Posted 2006-12-03 6:42 AM (#229072 - in reply to #229052)

I've loved the sound and feeling of my Custom Legend from the first time I picked it um, but I had almost the same feeling over my DeArmond electric. The Yamahas are more average guitars, but i like to play them and specially love the ringing sound of the 12-string too. I feel that they're all different instruments, and together they make me happy. The main challenge for me is to play well enough to make the music from inside of me get out, and I've yet a long way to go. Patience and practice is really all it takes, but I don't have the time to play as much as i want to!
gh1
Posted 2006-12-03 6:47 PM (#229073 - in reply to #229052)

Originally posted by tdeej:
gh1,
Here's the supposed history, including the Nick Lucas models, Dylan's guitars, etc.: SCGC Parlor plus history

Jeff has taken the route I have been considering lately: more high end; less quantity
Excellent link! Man, some berautiful guitars in there!

Thanks.

Let me know where you think your new 2005C fits in to that scheme of yours!

_____
gh1
Trader Jim
Posted 2006-12-03 8:15 PM (#229074 - in reply to #229052)

I think I'm almost there. The 1115 is my favorite 12, the 1614 I love because it's a 12 fret wide neck with a great sound, the 1718 is one of the easiest playing and best sounding wood top guitars I've heard, and of course the Adamas needs no introduction. I can't wait to play the UTE 12 fret. I think I'll be satisfied at that point. (uh huh...) :rolleyes:
wilblee
Posted 2006-12-03 8:54 PM (#229075 - in reply to #229052)

Content? Whoo - I don't know if I'm ever gettin' there, but I figure I'm gettin' close.

One of my guages on whether or not to get a new guitar is deciding which one I would sell. For the longest time that was no problem, but I have gotten to the point where letting any of my current ones go would be really painful. So painful, in fact, that the last guitar I bought had no corresponding sale to counterbalance it (that took some world class maneuvering, let me tell you).

Another indication that contentment may be near is that now, when I look at one of the myriad on-line music catalogs that come in the mail, there's nothin' in there that excites me.

On the other hand, there's this absolutely bitchin' Warrior on eBay...
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-03 8:58 PM (#229076 - in reply to #229052)

heh, "bitchin'"..... I luv that word.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)