The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
How/What would you like a new Ovation Guitar to be/Have

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2006-12-03 8:01 PM (#228767)
Subject: How/What would you like a new Ovation Guitar to be/Have

It has been mentioned in other threads that Artists have "Abandoned" Ovation`s ,the reasons can be many,but ,could it be that the "Special" Guitar, has/is losing it`s appeal,for maybe,just may be,it`s not "special enough no more " or..perhaps to some it is " Too Special " may be they have forgotten to cater for artists who " need " somthing different, if so,what do You dear fellow members think ,Ovation could do about it,a new model perhaps :confused: hereby I do not mean different woods,for that They do allready, I mean , a new model,something different , Yet retaining the Ovation "thing" The Big Forte of Ovation Guitars ,is that they are unsurpassed when being amplified,so..,we keep the Bowl concept , but otherwise .. Anything Goes :p as many of us know,this board is being " kept an eye on " so come with Your Opinion(s) Speak Out !! Who Knows..this is a another century,another Idea,based on well-established values :) perhaps,together we could make something happen ;) Let the Communication Begin :eek:
:cool:
Vic
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2006-12-03 8:08 PM (#228768 - in reply to #228767)
Subject: Re: How/What would you like a new Ovation Guitar to be/Have

I'll start.
Ovation was the leader in plugging in an acoustic guitar a long, long time. I think the competition might have passed them up. However, the VIP pre-amp address that issue.
Too bad we are the only ones talking about it.
That's my $.02.
Trader Jim
Posted 2006-12-03 8:37 PM (#228769 - in reply to #228767)

I think in the begining, Ovation had a great push in the mass marketing system with alot of artists "on the payroll", that is supplying instruments to popular groups to get the name out. Now that they have established their name in the market place, I think they have slacked off a bit on the growth potential, and the loyalists,(cult),(us)are the only ones that appreciate the quality and workmanship in their product. Many people still scoff at the idea of a "plastic" and more traditional wood mix in a guitar, not to mention the swing toward Taylor and other newer brands. Maybe I'm way off on this, as I am relatively new to the whole guitar thing, but amplified, the Ovation still blows away all others IMHO. Anyhow, I think they should concentrate on the slothead look and maybe more carved bridges and headstocks. Stick with the higher end instruments instead of putting efforts into the imports. (sorry, I'm a sucker for a slothead)
gh1
Posted 2006-12-03 8:44 PM (#228770 - in reply to #228767)

I think they ought to develop a hollow body archtop that can compete in the jazz box market. They should look at an O version of the Improv, A small market for sure, but one i am in. You did ask for my opinion. :)

_____
gh1
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-03 8:54 PM (#228771 - in reply to #228767)

Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-03 8:56 PM (#228772 - in reply to #228767)

If you include Adamas in the mix, I'd like to see the OFC guitar. I know it wouldn't be a guitr for the masses, but if the original slothead Adamases went to performers for promotional purposes, maybe getting another really high end Adamas out there would promote Ovation sales up and down the line.
I'm on a blue Adamas kick lately and it's got me thinking about the OFC Guitar.
wilblee
Posted 2006-12-03 9:00 PM (#228773 - in reply to #228767)

OK,

Forget everything I said about contentment in another thread. I WANT one of THOSE!!! (the picture in Jeff's post)

Dang it, now my beard's all wet from salivating.
wilblee
Posted 2006-12-03 9:02 PM (#228774 - in reply to #228767)

Except, I want the tail piece (and the bridge and the fretboard) to be ebony. I would also like a hidden neck pickup (a la Taylor T5) - maybe a Dale Armstrong, as well as a VIP/Original Pickup combo, with a blend knob as opposed to a selector switch.

To round it off I would like to have both a shallow bowl model and a countour bowl model.

Hurry, KM, hurry.
aikido777
Posted 2006-12-03 9:04 PM (#228775 - in reply to #228767)

Ovation is known for being the best for amplified acoustic tones. How about if they built on that history by coming out with a guitar that does acoustic as well as electric tones and competed with the likes of Taylor's T5?

I am very happy with my homebuilt electrics and my shiny new C2078LX. So, this is not something I am personally interested in but it does seem to be the next "big thing" in guitars.
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-03 9:13 PM (#228776 - in reply to #228767)

1. Make an Ovation version of the Taylor T5.

2. Get rid of the plastic bowl. It was great, it did it's job, but times and tastes have changed. Only the paranoid survive.

3. Raise the prices. If you want to be considered in the same league as the big boys you need to price yourself accordingly. Someone interested in a $4000. Martin will never settle for a $1500. Ovation. He might be interested in a $4000. Ovation. If you price yourself cheap, you are perceived as cheap.

4. Pay some artists to use Ovation gear. I was told at the last factory tour that Ovation pays NOBODY to use their stuff. Their only endorement deals are free gear. Martin PAYS artists to allow their name to be used on a signature models.

5. Call Celebrity models what they are - Import Celebrities, NOT Ovations. Stop trying to fool people with the looks and the "BOWL MADE IN USA" bullshit. Calling them Ovations just cheapens the name.

Dave
wilblee
Posted 2006-12-03 9:28 PM (#228777 - in reply to #228767)

I have to disagree on the plastic bowl. It is still kickin' the living daylights out of 99% of the woodies out there, and taking a backseat to nobody in the remaining 1% in terms of sound or playability.

I also disagree on the price thing. Put out some outrageously priced flagship, if you must, but one of Ovation's true advantages is its pricing.

Pay artists? Yeah, OK - whatever.

I absolutely agree on the Celebrity thing. I bought one (CS2000) and almost swore off of Ovations for life. If it hadn't been for me trying an LX out of the blue at a GC, I would never have realized that what I had at home wasn't a "real" Ovation. I would have paid way too much money for a Taylor and been placidly chewing cud with the rest of the herd. Instead, I get to smirk at my friends who Paid 1,000's more and got less.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-12-03 9:43 PM (#228778 - in reply to #228767)

Keep the bowl. It's what makes Ovations Ovation. But almost everybody who picks up a roundback in a Guitar Center pick up a Celeb and think that that is all Ovation is. The company has to make a bigger effort to get places like Guitar Centers to put O's, and I mean real O's, not Celebs, down where people can try them. Put an amp by them and encouage people to plug them in.

There has got to be a greater effort to get the real deal in people's hands.

Make the distinction between O's and Celebs. To not do so is just stupid. You taint the whole product line if you don't.

A T5 type guitar? That idea has merit......
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-03 10:21 PM (#228779 - in reply to #228767)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
Keep the bowl. It's what makes Ovations Ovation...
And exactly how's THAT working out in the marketplace, at your local GC, on stage and in studio with top name artists, and in the court of public opinion among the entire guitar buying community (not just us roundback homos here) ???

Where would Mazda be today if all their models still had Wankel engines like they all used to? Sure they were cool, still available on one model if you want it. There's a cult following and some people swear by them. Would Mazda have been smart to stick with all Wankels because damn it that's what we were founded on and we're never going to change?

Dave
MWoody
Posted 2006-12-03 11:25 PM (#228780 - in reply to #228767)

I would like to see Ovation expand marketing of the Custom Shop, which is a better kept secret than Hillarious Clinton's tattoo, and actually advertise the options like Carvin does!

You have no idea how many hours I have spent in "The Study" looking through the Carvin catalog and speculating what the perfect combination of options would be.

And yes, the prices need to increase, except for the Ovation Fan Cult discount.
Yak
Posted 2006-12-03 11:39 PM (#228781 - in reply to #228767)

I would like to see a really good solid body electric again. Maybe another Breadwinner or Deacon but modernized. The 15-30 crowd sway heavily to the electrics. Ovation is missing that entire market. They have the reputation to support them, they just need the product.
Jason_S
Posted 2006-12-03 11:47 PM (#228782 - in reply to #228767)

if ovation would bring back a solid body line i would be one of the first in line to get a new limited. as far as the roundbacks, id like to see more of the original ovation stuff brought back,carved heads,trcs,bridges,fiberglass bowls..keep the deep bowl alive. i would like to see a ssb, non cutaway,bearclaw or koa top,multi's,adamas stereo preamp.carved slothead,bridge and trc...maybe a production adamas nylon...just my thoughts..call me nuts if you want..ive been called worse..jason
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2006-12-04 1:01 AM (#228783 - in reply to #228767)

#1 OFC Guitar.

#2 Viper with Humbucker and blendable pre-amp.
wilblee
Posted 2006-12-04 6:18 AM (#228784 - in reply to #228767)

Abandon the Lyrachord and raise the price, let's see - then you'd have...

a Taylor.

The world already has Taylors (and Martins, Gibsons, Breedloves, Goddalls, etc., etc...). Kaman already makes a wood back guitar with which they do fairly well. I don't know why in the world Kaman would take one of the most unique and distinguishable guitar lines remaining in a sea of "me too" wood boxes and convert it so that it disappears into the noise.

Let's face it, if all the guitar buying public wanted was great sound and playability at an affordable price, stores wouldn't be able to keep O's in stock. Instead, the GBP wants their purchase to be validated by seeing a successful artist playing their model, or at least their brand, on stage.

So, maybe, Ovation could pay some endorsement deals and get the artists playing their gear onstage. On the other hand - why? I know I don't keep up very well, but is Ovation in some kind of trouble that they need to fix what they're doing?
muzza
Posted 2006-12-04 7:23 AM (#228785 - in reply to #228767)

Originally posted by jpcannon:
Anyhow, I think they should concentrate on the slothead look and maybe more carved bridges and headstocks.
I don't know, Jim. I'd hate to see Ovation abandon its distinctive 'V' shaped headstock shape. I don't get the whole slothead thing...and I can't stand the carved bridges and headstocks on the Adamii. I'm not knocking them or saying they're bad, I just don't like them.

To answer the original poster's question - my ideal O would be center hole, understated simple elegance, contour bowl, OP Pro, Engleman spruce... - hey??? I've already got one.

Originally posted by jpcannon:
Stick with the higher end instruments instead of putting efforts into the imports.
Couldn't agree more. Celebrities are fancy Applauses, not cheap Ovations.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-12-04 9:28 AM (#228786 - in reply to #228767)

I don't need anything whatsoever, really don't know what I want, and there are already way more options available from the factory than I can possibly deal with. Nonetheless, I sure enjoy all these new models that have already been announced or are floating around on the rumor circuit. I'm not sure Ovation needs to reintroduce a solid since they already have Hamer which also seems to have a great reputation, at least with this crowd. I continue to learn more about various models and options from this Board than any guitar shop I've ever visited.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-12-04 10:16 AM (#228787 - in reply to #228767)

Instead of leaving the bowl for a wood box guitar, I'd like to see Ovation make more of an effort regarding 12 fret slot heads. After playing Jeff W's Custom U681 in New Jersey a few months back, I was just blown away. I don't think Ovation is even close to getting everything out of a roundback that they could.

I played Bill's long/wide neck 2080 and was blown away as well.

I just keep thinking that Ovation is not getting a fair shake from the Guitar Centers. In the stores, nobody can play the high end O's because they are so high up, and the salesmen, while good about bringing them down, aren't pushing them at all.

You know, the other thing to consider, is that Ovation probably makes most of it's profit from the imports. Why push the lines that aren't making money?

This is frustrating.....
FlySig
Posted 2006-12-04 11:38 AM (#228788 - in reply to #228767)

My first thought was to bring back the classic solid body electrics, updated with modern pickups and electronics.

Another thing would be to expand the electronics package. Include a compressor, and maybe offer a parametric EQ rather than a graphic EQ.

Outside of the actual guitar, it seems that there is a huge potential in the marketing and merchandising end, which we've discussed before and has already been mentioned. Put Adamas in the high end room at GC. Require GC to change the strings at least once per month on each displayed O. Push celebrity endorsements.
Omaha
Posted 2006-12-04 11:52 AM (#228789 - in reply to #228767)

In the marketplace, people know that Ovation, and only Ovation, makes roundbacks. That's just the way it is. Get rid of the roundback, and you have nothing. I suppose you could put an Ovation headstock on some Taks, but what's the point?

My view is that Ovation needs to continuously move their product up-market. Continuous improvement of everything, along with steady price increases.
edensharvest
Posted 2006-12-04 12:03 PM (#228790 - in reply to #228767)

The thing about Ovation is as a whole, they offer most of what people are looking for already. Solid body electrics with updated electronics or nice bluesy semi's? Buy a Hamer. Beautiful wood-box guitars with multiple wood combinations and features? Buy a Takamine. I don't forsee Ovation eliminating the bowl, as it truly is a big deal for a lot of us. I love wood body guitars, and at some point will probably custom order a McPherson or Breedlove just because, but I'd never trade out of my roundbacks as a whole because it just works. All the merits of sound, durability, and flat-out power that's hard to beat any other way.

By the way...you want artist endorsements? Check out Hamer's website - featured artists from Rock, Country, Blues, R&B...it's quite a list.

It would be nice to see a better marketing plan to separate Ovation's lines (both import vs US AND Ovation vs wood-boxes) from the competition. I agree that something should be done to "educate" the sales staff at places like GC as to what Ovation is all about. I'm a firm believer that you can't sell it if you don't know the product, and I have yet to talk to one staff member who had a clue about Ovations at all.

I think honestly that the best thing to do is focus on the kind of thing the last 3 collectors have done - simple but striking wood choices, easy configurations, no bright, gaudy finishes, and superior electronics with the contour bowl, all in a package that prices in the middle of the standard range. If people are looking for a nice $2000+ acoustic guitar, they're typically not going to pick up a black cherry burst Elite just because. Give them a natural, vintage natural, or sunburst, and it looks more familiar to them. Purple tribal flames have their place, but not usually with the Taylor/Martin crowd.

I'd like to see Adamas making more of a statement in stores. I have yet to see more than 1 new Adamas in a guitar store in the past 10 years. Only 1! That's pathetic on the marketing end of things, that a potential customer can't even find your product to try. And no, the SMT's don't count in the high-end market. ;) If Adamas does go to strictly custom-order, as they've hinted at, it would be good practice to work on getting each GC and similar store to pick up one or two custom combinations to have on hand - like I said, you can't sell what people don't know about. Start with simple, classic setups, and give people lots of info on all the options and go from there.

I think Jason's right on one thing - when Ovation went away from the carved bridge/TRC type stuff, I lost a lot of interest for a while. Notice my custom order - carved bridge, lots of abalone, etc. It's the little extra touches that make a LOT of difference in the overall appearance and presentation of the instrument, and likewise distinguish them from cheaper import versions. I got compliments for years on my 1869, but it was the OLD-style cherry burst top with the abalone inlay and carved walnut bridge. You just don't see that in Ovation's lineup these days.

Summary:

1. More Adamas exposure on the market. If people want a $4000 guitar, give it to them.

2. Something unique, a la T5 or a re-vamping on the SSB now that the contour has it's niche

3. An acoustic/roundback/jazz guitar. Blend VIP or Studio preamp with humbuckers on a roundback SSB guitar, floating bridge & saddle, possibly with a 12-fret slotted head and cutaway...it could happen.

4. MARKETING!!! The general public will never fully accept the Ovation product if all they see is imports. In fact, a lot of old-school Ovation fans are turned off to the brand they once loved because of the perception of "cheapening" that they have acquired from the internal brand confusion and lack of the fancy touches in new models.

Whew...glad I got that spit out finally...

:D
Steve
Posted 2006-12-04 12:04 PM (#228791 - in reply to #228767)

Bring back the Breadwinner Limited. It's the most unique electric solid-body style without going all retro, it's the best of both worlds.
And personally, I never liked playing anything but a USA Ovation/Adamas. I know they say they are competing with the overseas market with the Celebs/Applauses, etc., but depending on overseas manufacturing costs vs. the profit margin argument, I always thought it was a compromise. But, I'm admittedly an old USA Ovation fart, and I'm not trying to tick off the Celeb/Applause/Pinnacle/Tangent/Trekker players. Ovation should also require their dealers to maintain their stock with fresh strings and a little guitar polish every now and then...it ain't rocket science.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)