The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
I have found "the secret"

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Trader Jim
Posted 2006-12-03 8:20 PM (#228738)
Subject: I have found "the secret"

I was a little worried about telling the wife I just dumped a little over 1 grand on another guitar so I took her in the "guitar room" and explained the differences in them with neck width and 12 vs 14 fret, carbon fiber vs wood, and I'll be, if she didn't start to take an interest in it. Seemed to mellow her out alot. She knows another one is on the way now! (but not how much it costs) one step at a time....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-03 8:49 PM (#228739 - in reply to #228738)
Subject: Re: I have found "the secret"

I've tried that and she seems to have tuned out. Last night we had some friends over who were not guitar people and tried to explain all the differences, but the guy couldn't get past the fact that they all had round backs. That made them all the same to him, although he did notice some had more than one hole. I think my wife is getting used to it now. Sounds like you won't need to sell your 1681 to make room for this one.
ignimbyte
Posted 2006-12-03 9:13 PM (#228740 - in reply to #228738)

I lie about the actual amount that I paid for the guitar. Almost always, it works like a charm!! I notice that it's also better to do business with a local music store. The merchant that I often do business with in Queens, at times, will do a little extra for me. In this case, he will fabricate a fake receipt revealing a ridiculously low price.

Once I arrive home with the new guitar, I'll show the wife the fake receipt, while the real receipt gets hidden under lock and key! :D
seesquare
Posted 2006-12-03 9:35 PM (#228741 - in reply to #228738)

Well, there goes the premeditation defense. Move on to higher levels of subterfuge. You have 5100+ character references, and persuasive arguments, available, 24/7. "Y'all hang together, or y'all gonna hang separate."
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-12-03 10:31 PM (#228742 - in reply to #228738)

ignimbyte - where in Queens? I'm there all the time and boy could I use some fake receipts! I think I shot myself in the foot getting the 47RI first.
ignimbyte
Posted 2006-12-03 11:04 PM (#228743 - in reply to #228738)

It's in Flushing, Queens.

Back when I used to live in the local area, I frequented his shop quite often -- either to make purchases, to chat, or have my guitars serviced (e.g. set-ups). I have since moved to LI, but I still stop by and visit the shop every now and then.

In the fake receipt, he would also "rig" the trade-ins a bit higher, so the wife could see that I traded my old instrument for as close to what I originally paid for (if not better).
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-12-03 11:18 PM (#228744 - in reply to #228738)

Gil - I grew up in Flushing - 27th avenue. Which guitar shop?

Mike
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-04 12:23 AM (#228745 - in reply to #228738)

I've tried all the tricks except the fraud that Gil uses. As soon as she saw the credit card bill, I'd be in deeper doodoo. None of the tricks have avoided the dirty looks or snide remarks, but I've acquired some pretty nice guitars. Small price to pay.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-12-04 12:47 AM (#228746 - in reply to #228738)

Always tell them the MSRP first. Then once they get done screamin', tell them what a good deal you got. "I saved $200 on this, I saved $550 on that... All together, that pays for this one!"

You's guys take the IRT numba 7 ta get dere, right?
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2006-12-04 1:38 AM (#228747 - in reply to #228738)

Originally posted by ignimbyte:
I lie about the actual amount that I paid for the guitar.....Once I arrive home with the new guitar, I'll show the wife the fake receipt, while the real receipt gets hidden under lock and key! :D
Don't worry. Your secret is safe with us, sorta. :p :D :p :D
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2006-12-04 7:07 AM (#228748 - in reply to #228738)

SWMBO pays the Visa bill, so when I bought the Balladeer, I told her how much I spent and "here it is, and here's another $250". Didn't help.

On the Viper I made sure she knew I had done extra work, and sold some collectibles to finance it. Didn't help.

At some point, they just stop trying to pretend they're interested in the things we are. She bought me comic books when we were dating. Now they are a complete waste of time and money to her. Go figure.
Shot in the Dark
Posted 2006-12-04 9:55 AM (#228749 - in reply to #228738)

Why I feel the need to write this is beyond me.

I had just received my first guitar - Balladeer LX - and decided I needed another guitar. I knew I could clear $700-$800 with the wife, as it was mine to spend. I also had another $700-$800 in cash that the wife didn't know about. I had to order the guitar with a card and have it sent here to Poland, as there isn't much to be had here - so how to get the cash from my hand into the guitar and to me without the wife, who does all the bills figuring it out?

It finally occured to me. I gave the cash to a friend and he went online and bought me a gift certificate at Musician's Friend for $800. What a nice gift!

Second guitar is an American Strat with flamed top - beautiful - and twice the price that my wife thinks was crazy.

Of course, this will only work if you happen to have some cash around that your wife doesn't know about.

If you can't think of anyone else to do the "laundering" bit, send it to me and I'll take care of buying the gift certificate for you! Your secret is safe with me.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2006-12-04 10:36 AM (#228750 - in reply to #228738)

Shotzy, you're scaring me.
Shot in the Dark
Posted 2006-12-04 11:12 AM (#228751 - in reply to #228738)

I'm not proud of it. But drastic times call for drastic measures.

And those were good clean card games!
FlySig
Posted 2006-12-04 11:43 AM (#228752 - in reply to #228738)

Every man should have a private slush fund. And that's all I'm going to say about that.
Omaha
Posted 2006-12-04 11:54 AM (#228753 - in reply to #228738)

Wow. I guess you guys are beyond certain that your wives are never going to check out the archives here, huh?

In my case, I was making money like crazy a few years ago. Internet bubble and all that.

In the process, I accumulated quite a collection of toys. These days, money is tighter, so I just sell something before I buy something new. I'm about out of guns by now. Time to sell the motorcycle.
Shot in the Dark
Posted 2006-12-04 2:15 PM (#228754 - in reply to #228738)

If my wife would let me own either a gun or a motorcycle, talking her into any guitar would be a piece of cake!

Actually, at my house it works like this: We both make the same money which is modest, as we are school teachers. We both have "fun money" which is accumulated by anything done which earns an addtional stipend at work, like coaching etc. plus birthday/X-mas money from family memebers. This I save up until I can buy something I want.

So I don't ever have to do any explaining/justifying. When I was into cigars I spent $1000 bucks on a humidor. When into chess, I did the same on a chess set. Crazy, silly stuff. But that's the point of "fun money." Spend it however you like - no explanation necessary.

Everyone does need some kind of fund like that. Everyone does not need secret money. That's dangerous and I'm glad mine is gone. I will try to avoid accumulating such a fund in the future. I should have used it for more noble a cause than a stratocaster.

Maybe another Ovation?
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2006-12-04 2:31 PM (#228755 - in reply to #228738)

I don't know... that Strat sounds pretty nice.
Trader Jim
Posted 2006-12-04 4:48 PM (#228756 - in reply to #228738)

"Everyone does need some kind of fund like that."

Thats the way I do it. Actually, my wife doesn't mind cause I have a seperate account just for my ebay stuff. I sell some drum stuff, the money goes in. I buy some guitars, the money goes out. It is strictly for the "fun stuff" and when it's empty, it's empty. (and after the UTE, it's empty)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-04 7:27 PM (#228757 - in reply to #228738)

Hey, Shot. How come a guy from Poland uses English better than a Pole from Arizona that we know? Or for that matter, better than the Pole from Boise who just wrote that last sentence?
ignimbyte
Posted 2006-12-04 9:55 PM (#228758 - in reply to #228738)

Mike (aka CrimsonLake) - you got mail!
ignimbyte
Posted 2006-12-04 10:03 PM (#228759 - in reply to #228738)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
As soon as she saw the credit card bill, I'd be in deeper doodoo. None of the tricks have avoided the dirty looks or snide remarks, but I've acquired some pretty nice guitars. Small price to pay.
I prefer to pay in cash, so there's no credit card bill to look at. :D A few bills saved and hidden in the drawer -- tucked in between my clothes -- over time adds up to the point that I could afford the one I'm GAS(ing) on. The merchant also tend to waive sales taxes when I pay that way. :)
ignimbyte
Posted 2006-12-04 10:06 PM (#228760 - in reply to #228738)

Originally posted by mtnbikerfred:
Don't worry. Your secret is safe with us. :p :D :p :D
Thank you very much. Fortunately, she doesn't go to this website and read what I post on this board. :D
Shot in the Dark
Posted 2006-12-04 11:59 PM (#228761 - in reply to #228738)

Hey, Shot. How come a guy from Poland uses English better than a Pole from Arizona that we know? Or for that matter, better than the Pole from Boise who just wrote that last sentence?
Likely because I'm an American living in Poland and you're a Pole living in the States? For having lived six years here, my Polish is embarassing. I know most of the fruits and vegetables, as the older folks in the markets aren't learning English as quickly as everyone else. Beyond that, it's not pretty.

So really it's Marek or Maryk, as opposed to Mark in Boise?

Dzien Kuje
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-05 12:06 AM (#228762 - in reply to #228738)

No, I'm 3rd generation here and my grandparents were very small when they came over, so I don't speak a word of Polish. The closest I ever got was being born in Milwaukee, which is pretty Polish.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)