The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Help requested/required

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

colt357
Posted 2006-12-04 10:01 PM (#228622)
Subject: Help requested/required

Sunday, a friend of ours asked if I would mind helping her to find a guitar for her husband, for Christmas. He does not play, but has always wanted to learn,so, she thought it would be a great gift for him. And of course, I agreed.

So, I would appreciate some feedback and guidance. I did not get a chance to ask her what kind of money she would be willing to spend. I did recommend that she purchase something above the so called starter guitars and explained the benefits, and she seemed to understand.

I have not shopped for a guitar for over 20 years and really am not sure where to start. Any advise as to what to look at and what to stay away from would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ignimbyte
Posted 2006-12-04 10:14 PM (#228623 - in reply to #228622)
Subject: Re: Help requested/required

For a starter guitar, you can check out the entry-level U.S. made Ovation balladeers, like the shallow bowl 1861, or the similarly priced mid-bowl S771 or 1771LX. They may seem a bit pricey brand new, but they can be acquired at a bargain when used (via e-bay, or through an OFC member who's parting with his/her instrument on this board). Check out the SELL/TRADE section of this board, and see if anything interests you. Good luck.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-12-04 10:24 PM (#228624 - in reply to #228622)

Okay, before I start, let me admit that I only have Oriental Ovations.

That said, my buddy Tom told me not to buy any cheap Walmart/Target/Kmart crap for my first acoustic.
Buy something that he'll really wanna play.
Also, buy a guitar stand!!
If you have a guitar staring at you, you will play it.
Just psychology, but if it is a nice guitar, he will feel obligated to practice. And if it has nice action, it will be alot easier on the fingers.
Capo Guy
Posted 2006-12-04 10:51 PM (#228625 - in reply to #228622)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
Also, buy a guitar stand!!
If you have a guitar staring at you, you will play it.
Excellent advice.

This is probably the biggest problem people have when learning how to play.

A guitar in the case will tend to stay in the case and not be played.

I tell every one of the people wanting to learn to play guitar to GET A STAND and play every day.
lanaki
Posted 2006-12-04 11:29 PM (#228626 - in reply to #228622)

over the years i have met several players who thought that getting a nylon stringed guitar was of great benefit to get started with. the ease of play as well as the wider neck helped newbies. plus if it just sits there on the stand, the strings won't corrode as easy!

lanaki
G8r
Posted 2006-12-04 11:39 PM (#228627 - in reply to #228622)

Stay away from anything that can be gottenn in a mass market retailer that's not a music store. Even in a music store avoid the 'packages' that include a guitar, gig bag/chipboard case & amp, all in one box. These are cheaply made and hard to play guitars that'll only discourage him from playing. If you have a Grand Central or Sam Ash nearby you might find a 'new old stock' or trade-in relatively cheap. Craigslist is another good source, especially if you're in or near a big metro area. I agree an entry-level Balladeer would be an excellent starter guitar, and Old Man Arthur hit the nail on the head. If the guitar is out on the stand it just begs to be played.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-05 12:13 AM (#228628 - in reply to #228622)

I just did the same thing, but for a friend's wife. He wanted to stay under $200, which is pretty tough, but be got an Ibanez SGT125 at Guitar Center.
The best deal I found him was just a bit above his budget, a used Balladeer from our own Norseman. He pulled it off the market, but you might contact him. I couldn't find anything that good anywhere.
Mitchrx
Posted 2006-12-05 10:17 AM (#228629 - in reply to #228622)

For a rank beginner there are a whole lot of very good acoustic imports that can be had for $200-$250. Takamine, Ibanez and other manufacturers are putting out some incredibly low priced acoustics, that sound and play MUCH better than a similarly priced guitar from 15 years ago.

My advice would be to go to a large music store with a good selection of acoustics and try out a bunch of them. Find one in the price range that is attractive looking, and has good action and playability. Get a gig bag, stand or wall hanger and a Korg tuner. Forget about any instructional books. There's a bunch of beginner information available for free on the internet.

Playability is the most important factor for a beginner. The key is try out the guitar and make sure the neck profile, action and frets are comfortable. Don't shop by brand. Trust your hands and ears.
Omaha
Posted 2006-12-05 11:01 AM (#228630 - in reply to #228622)

Give the guy a gift certificate to the guitar store, then let him pick it out after Christmas when everything's on sale.
cliff
Posted 2006-12-05 11:07 AM (#228631 - in reply to #228622)

. . . or right around/just after Winter NAMM when the stores will be marking stuff down t'make room for new stock . . .
colt357
Posted 2006-12-10 9:36 PM (#228632 - in reply to #228622)

Guys, my apologies for not responding to this post. Kinda forgot about it. My son called the evening I posted this and asked me to sell one of his guitars for him. Timing couldn't have been better. Ran it past the buyer and she jumped on it. So, my son's happy and she's happy and I know her hubby will really be happy.

Anyway, great advise was given by all and I certainly appreciate all of it. Most of what was given was pretty much what I had been thinking. Guess not much has changed in the last 25-30 years.

Dave
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)