The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Advise on Storm series

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Tim in Tidewater
Posted 2006-12-08 2:25 PM (#227975)
Subject: Advise on Storm series

Having never played any of the hollow body series, how does their sound compare with that of a comporable design Gibson, Gretsch or Epiphone?

I realize the pickups are going to have a lot of influence of the sharpness of the sound but I'm curious of the body tone. Also, what style of neck was used on the Storms? Is it a fatter C shape like the Gibson or a shallower D like the Gretsch. I've been playing a lot of rockabilly lately and my Gretsch fits the sound perfectly, however, it's not a great guitar to take out and bang around plus it's very temperature sensative. I have been eyeing some of the early Tornados/T-heads with the whammy bar. But before I make the plunge, I would like to know if it's going to disappoint me sound wise.

Any thoughts?

Tim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-12-08 2:56 PM (#227976 - in reply to #227975)
Subject: Re: Advise on Storm series

Tim, the fatter C shape (50's style) appears on the Gibson ES-135/137 and maybe a few others while the slimmer neck appears on the ES-335. I love the sound of a hollow-body or semi-hollow body, particularly with the single coil options. I have a Thunderhead but don't play it much because it could use a set-up freshening. My recollection is that the T-head neck profile is closer to the thinner 60's style than the fat 50's style. I prefer the ES-335 and ES-135 over the Country Gentleman, and just recently picked up a Guild Starfire IV to add into the comparo. It also has a very narrow neck. I also have an Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II big box, but really just prefer looking at it to playing it. The pups are not up to the quality of the rest of the group, although the body craftsmanship is excellent.
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-08 3:10 PM (#227977 - in reply to #227975)

If I close my eyes, my storm guitar necks feel exactly the same profile as 70's era ovation acoustics. That's one reason I always liked the storms, they copied the acoustics neck really well. Dave
cliff
Posted 2006-12-08 3:57 PM (#227978 - in reply to #227975)

". . If I close my eyes, my storm guitar necks feel exactly . . . . ."

Yer skeev'in me out, Witko . . . .
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-08 4:18 PM (#227979 - in reply to #227975)

Cliff, t must be a slow Friday afternoon... Why don't you quit busting my biazalls and demonstrate to Santa that you can be a good little graphic artist and go make that friggin landcape slothead photo you promosed me 2 months ago!

Dave
cliff
Posted 2006-12-08 5:11 PM (#227980 - in reply to #227975)

I'm off today, and at home loading-up for a gig t'night, and uh, . . . oh yeah, . . go f@ck yerself . . .
jb
Posted 2006-12-11 6:13 AM (#227981 - in reply to #227975)

Yo, Cats.

The neck on my Tornado is light, and with being so small makes it so esy to play...

I can come back with a Gretsch comparison after christmas, as I've just had word in the last couple of days that I have a special present on the way... I'm told it's one of these...

gretsch link

Kind of excited now! If I'd known it was on the cards, I'd have searched for another Storm, but sure that this will be great...

If you can hang on a few weeks, I'll do a side by side comparison. This will be the first time in a long time I've played something that's not an O, and I'm kind of nervous and excited all at once.

JB
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2006-12-11 7:09 AM (#227982 - in reply to #227975)

Johnny, at least you'll be a more credible rockabilly player. Right now you're the freak who plays rockabilly on a roundback with a Fender strap. Sheeeesh!

Congrats on the Setzer. Do you know if you're getting the Tiger Flame? It looks great to me.
jb
Posted 2006-12-11 10:32 AM (#227983 - in reply to #227975)

My Tornado don't got no roundback!

Apparently it's the SSVLO one, so it's not very stripey, but either way should be sweet!

JB
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2006-12-11 10:56 AM (#227984 - in reply to #227975)

I was talking about the pix on the stonechase web site. Roundback shots a-plenty.
jb
Posted 2006-12-11 4:34 PM (#227985 - in reply to #227975)

We really should get some more pics taken at some stage! Teehee! I'd only use the Tornado for those - it's much more me.

JB
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)