The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Neck reset on Ovations

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

HobbyPicker
Posted 2006-12-08 3:15 PM (#227967)
Subject: Neck reset on Ovations

I've seen several luthiers claiming that literally all acoustic steelstrung guitars need neck resets as time passes, one claimed that normal time span on guitars like Martins are 20-25 years. My 31 year old Custom Legends neck angle is still fine (checked it with a ruler just half an hour ago)! :D
Am I just lucky, or are Ovation necks generally more stable than other guitar necks?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-08 3:55 PM (#227968 - in reply to #227967)
Subject: Re: Neck reset on Ovations

In general Ovations are probably better than most. I think I have had 3 neck resets done on Ovations. The real crap is the stuff that people put out brand new (non-Ovation) that needs a reset straight from the dealer. Dave
Slipkid
Posted 2006-12-08 4:00 PM (#227969 - in reply to #227967)

Ovation's neck design (both new and old), and the way they are attached to the body are the most stable in the industry. period.
Brian T
Posted 2006-12-08 4:04 PM (#227970 - in reply to #227967)

My 1777 LX was less than a year old and needed a reset which the factory cheerfully accomplished. I think it was due to the lighter scalloped bracing on the LX models. I used to have a 1717 Legend from 1984 that I sold two years ago; it's neck angle was nearly perfect. So I guess it varies from guitar to guitar, but the older 1717 Legend was absolutely a heavier beefier guitar.

But one thing is certain, light bracing means bigger tone which is what everyone seems to want, the trade off is more neck resets. You could easily build a guitar that never would need a neck reset, but it would have the tonal qualities of a wet catcher's mitt. This is why you hear more about resets with higher end guitars. The cheap plywood models with 2x4 braces never need a reset but the sound is no where near as impressive.
Steve
Posted 2006-12-08 4:39 PM (#227971 - in reply to #227967)

My '92 1767 needs a neck reset because it has canted slightly to the treble side and I am having to move the saddle positon of the high E string slightly to inside to keep the string in a straight line between the nut and the bridge. Other than that the action is perfect and I'm still spoiled rotten playing the shallow V neck.. :)
Erniewan
Posted 2006-12-11 2:30 PM (#227972 - in reply to #227967)

Tupp....

Like Gibson acoustics?
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-11 5:44 PM (#227973 - in reply to #227967)

Originally posted by Erniewan:
Tupp.... Like Gibson acoustics?
You can assume what you like. I would never come out in public and say that I thought Gibson and Taylor guitars (with a few exceptions) were totally overpriced bags of shit and that Ovation and Adamas are my favorites even though my Martins sound better (with a few exceptions). I would never put this in writing.

Dave
Erniewan
Posted 2006-12-11 7:37 PM (#227974 - in reply to #227967)

of course....it was just an assumption...

the only exception that i've come across in the taylor brand is that leo kottke 12 string. heavy strings tuned down to C#, shakes the walls..

if anyone remembers, my 1767-6, purchased from Paul B, was sent to the mother ship for a neck reset. the action was in spec, but I wanted super low action, and all shims had been removed. There were a number of other cosmetic issues that were dealt with to make it perfect, but honestly, if it weren't for some nagging cosmetic stuff, i probably would have held off on sending it in.

ernie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)