The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT. CHRISTMAS TREES

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Jason_S
Posted 2006-12-09 1:00 AM (#227790)
Subject: OT. CHRISTMAS TREES

here's a good question,what different kinds of xmas trees do you guys put up?? im not shure what strain mine is but it cost$68.99 and smells like oranges...jason
Top of the page Bottom of the page
HobbyPicker
Posted 2006-12-09 2:06 AM (#227791 - in reply to #227790)
Subject: Re: OT. CHRISTMAS TREES

I go out in my forest and cut a fine looking young spruce.
Jason_S
Posted 2006-12-09 2:07 AM (#227792 - in reply to #227790)

spruce is nice..jason
dvd
Posted 2006-12-09 2:20 AM (#227793 - in reply to #227790)

One of the benefits of living in Oregon.. the leading producer of Christmas trees in the US ...

Drove less than 1 mile to a Christmas tree farm I can see from my home office window.

Trudged around the farm for an hour with the wife and kids looking for "the perfect tree" -- family tradition

Cut down a nice 9' noble fir and sat down at the fire pit for some hot chocolate while they shake it, mount it on the stand, and tie it to the roof of the car. 2 min back home and "just add water"!

Not bad for $30 out the door. :)

Merry Christmas!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-12-09 2:20 AM (#227794 - in reply to #227790)

They make a big deal about Douglas Fir out here. $60+/- in the stores. But $10-$20 out in the country. And the way Portland is laid-out, you don't have to go too far to find a tree-farm.
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-09 7:55 AM (#227795 - in reply to #227790)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
They make a big deal about Douglas Fir out here.
Awww, Douglas - Smuglas. Everyone knows that it's not the type of tree that matters. What matters is how big is the box that you have to store it in for the other 11 months of the year.

We've had an artifical tree for 15 years now ever since that fateful xmas back when I was living in NY. Took the kids all bundle3d in their snow suits out to the tree farm to cut our own tree. She was a beauty. It was about a week early to put it up so I propped her up in the snow in the back yard. Basically a deep freeze out in the elements. The next weekend we brought her in, whittled down the trunk to fit the stand, put her up and started decorating and she slowly started to thaw out. After about half the lights and crap were nicely in place I stared to notice something... sniff, sniff... sniff, sniff. What the hell is THAT. Yup, sure enough the tree had been totally doused in cat piss. The whole house started to stink to high heaven. 5 year old daughter says "maybe santa will have a stuffy nose and won't smell it". Kids start balling their eyes out as daddy drags the piss soaked tree back outside.

That was the last year we had a real tree. Never again. I think xmas should truly be the most plastic, artifical cheap ass holiday they ever invented.

Dave
Slipkid
Posted 2006-12-09 8:05 AM (#227796 - in reply to #227790)

Great story Dave! :D
My middle son has allergies so we have not had a real tree for about 21 years now.
Works out good because Pam like to put the tree up right after Thanksgiving and leave it up till after New Year. It has become quite the project. We do the village and electric train thing underneath and have collected many sentimental and "meaningful" orniments over the years.
However, this year is going to be very different. Pam & I have suddenly become "empty-nesters" and two of the three kids, who are working in Florida, said they won't make it home for Christmas this year. Bummer.
Paulcc1
Posted 2006-12-09 8:43 AM (#227797 - in reply to #227790)

OK here it goes back when we lived in Newbury Vt. We went out on a farmers field to cut a tree we were living in a small place so the tree had to be around 4ft. or so. Well we found a nice one cut it brought it home all for free. About a half hour later I could smell cat, so out goes the tree. Later I find out it's a tree they call kitty spruce. Well to avoid bringing one home again I was told to stroke a branch and smell your fingers if they smell like cat pee don't cut it. Ever since then we never had a problem, well there's some useless info.
Pauly
Beal
Posted 2006-12-09 9:15 AM (#227798 - in reply to #227790)

What's with all this real wood stuff guys????
Ours is plastic and came in a box. Get with the program.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-09 9:42 AM (#227799 - in reply to #227790)

Aluminum, baby

cliff
Posted 2006-12-09 10:04 AM (#227800 - in reply to #227790)

Palm.
Beal
Posted 2006-12-09 10:19 AM (#227801 - in reply to #227790)

Two excellent suggestions!
alpep
Posted 2006-12-09 10:22 AM (#227802 - in reply to #227790)

balsam

they smell great
muzza
Posted 2006-12-09 10:54 AM (#227803 - in reply to #227790)

AAA Sitka Spruce with Koa bells and an Engleman angel with a smattering of Abalone tinsel on a solid Lyrachord stand and sixteen holes in a pear tree!
Brian T
Posted 2006-12-09 11:19 AM (#227804 - in reply to #227790)

Plastic and Steel. Many years ago my family stopped promoting the sensless slaughter of innocent baby evergreens and we bought a synthenic one. It looks pretty good and is pretty easy to set up. Let all those baby conifers grow into large trees that future guitars can be made of.

Actually I was getting kind of tired of shelling out $50-$70 for a natual Christmas tree every year. That was what they were costing 8 years ago, I'll bet they cost even more these days.
Beal
Posted 2006-12-09 11:22 AM (#227805 - in reply to #227790)

They're even more down here!
MWoody
Posted 2006-12-09 12:07 PM (#227806 - in reply to #227790)

This is the yearly debate. Pull the really big imitation Canadian Pine out of the huge box or put up a "real" one.

Like my Oregonian Brothers and Sisters I get the option of fresh, and in some cases, loaded with hibernating Bees or Wasps.

Grand Noble Fir at about $75 is the frequent winner. I prefer a real nice wreath that you can mist and get the same smell.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-09 12:32 PM (#227807 - in reply to #227790)

Since we are empty nesters now, although the girls will be home for Christmas, we decided to go artificial this year. By the time my wife decided what type she wanted, none of the stores had any left. They all come with lights already on them and she wanted the clear lights. There are plenty out there with colored lights and a few with no lights. Although we have about 20 extra strands of lights, I know better than to argue with her.
Today, her "goal" is to buy a noble fir and get it set up.
gh1
Posted 2006-12-09 1:01 PM (#227808 - in reply to #227790)

I've got a bunch of Oregon natives in bonsai. So we rotate them, Hemlock, Doug Fir, Grand Fir, Western Red Cedar, Sitka Spuce, Lodgpole Pine, Noble Fir, etc. We usually have two or three of them throughout the house.

But i like aluminum the best, with the rotating color filters in front of a spot light.

_____
gh1
cliff
Posted 2006-12-09 1:24 PM (#227809 - in reply to #227790)

One year, the "ex" came with the idea of getting a live "balled" (with a burlap-wrapped root "ball") tree that could planted in the yard the following Spring. Being that we owned a florist shop at the time, we were able to buy it wholesale.

Ever tried t'MOVE one of these things??
It was about five feet tall and weighed a futhermuckin' TON!!
I slid it out of the back of the van into a galvanized washtub with a mover's dolly under it.

After spending a VERY chilly Christmas (the heat was almost "off" 'cause it would've killed it), it went back outside bright & early the morning of Dec. 26th . . . Balls&All.

The friggin' thing eventually died when it got replanted, and everytime my back goes "out", I think of that tree.

It's probably a piece of particle board somewhere, now . . .
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2006-12-09 1:30 PM (#227810 - in reply to #227790)

Started with a real pine tree that we cut ourselves for free. The wife and I had to tie up to keep it from falling over. Found out she was allergic to pines and spruces, so we went to a fake plastic tree. We have had a couple of them over the years. Had one that we thought the movers lost the pole to, so she bought another tree. I found the pole the next year. This year I took the better of the two trees into the house, and took the older tree up to donate it for those that can't afford as much. Took the pole for it (I thought) and came back home. Son #2 is getting the tree out of the box to put it together and discovers the pole is missing. Had to go back up and retrieve the pole. Looked inside the box while I was there and both poles were in it. Everyone is happy now. :D
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-09 2:10 PM (#227811 - in reply to #227790)

At 10:30 I was posting here. At 12, we have a tree, cut off the bottom, put it in the stand and wife is patiently waiting for the branches to drop a bit before she decorates it. Nice to have Fred Meyer close and it didn't hurt that it was raining. Almost picked it out from the car. Doesn't look too bad for a quickee. And it's a Grand Fir, not a Noble. I forget those things. I like the Grands, too, because they're cheaper. $37 for an 8 footer. I can handle that.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-12-09 2:32 PM (#227812 - in reply to #227790)

At Mom's house, the got a fake tree (way-back-when). I thought it was tacky. But the one nice thing about it (I learned) is that you can decorate it while you put it together.
I gotta find me one of them Orphan Charlie Brown Christmas trees.
stonebobbo
Posted 2006-12-09 8:33 PM (#227813 - in reply to #227790)

lady stonebobbo is a fan of multiple christmas trees. She treasures lots of very unique and personal ornaments and other decorations she's acquired over the years, and loves to pull them out and hang them. It's a several day process. Different trees have different looks and they can handle different types of ormaments. The trees are just a canvas for something she's been enamored with for many years.

I think we've got three already, but there's also garlands and wreaths ... all fresh cut. It sure smells good. lady stonebobbo also likes big trees if she can fit them. There's a big (14') Noble in the living room ... fortunately I talked her down. She's stuffed 18 footers in there before. She's got a Douglas Fir in the family room that she's calling the bird tree this year. She also has a soft spot in her heart for the Charlie Brown tree, so she always buys one and has it in the corner of the dining room. She's talking about adding one or two in some other spots.

Crazy, huh? Well, not really. I don't have a problem with how many trees she wants/needs ... she doesn't have a problem with how many guitars I want/need. Syncronicity.
lanaki
Posted 2006-12-09 10:27 PM (#227814 - in reply to #227790)

the "hottest" selling trees here in hawaii are the flocked ones. it's so ironic to be in 85 degree sunshine and see those trees covered in "snow" strapped to the cars whose drivers speed home quickly, as if to keep them from melting before they get there.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)