The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
MIDI pickup with Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

rt
Posted 2006-12-11 4:22 PM (#227158)
Subject: MIDI pickup with Ovation

I have seen references to Ovation with MIDI pickups on the web. Do people have experience with MIDI? is there any standard kit available for Ovations?

thanks, rt
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2006-12-11 4:29 PM (#227159 - in reply to #227158)
Subject: Re: MIDI pickup with Ovation

No 'standard' kit for Ovations, to my knowledge. They have made a couple models for use with MIDI, the last was 'Roland-Ready'. They're pretty hard to come by.
The easiest way these days is to use a GK-2 hex pickup made by Roland to a Roland guitar synth (GR33, etc...). I have one on my Viper.
Stuart Miller
Posted 2006-12-11 5:07 PM (#227160 - in reply to #227158)

I have the GK-KIT sat upstairs for me to install on the 1787-T that I got from Al recently. I am just waiting for time for me to carefully consider where I intend to drill holes in the guitar to fit the pick-up and switches :D

This is not the GK3 "wart" type controller that you see on sale and fitted to a number of electric guitars. This is the kit Roland sell to guitar makers to install the wiring and switching in their guitars. I believe this was what Ovation used to install in their ROland Ready guitars when they sold the CL and CE versions with this installed.

You can see details of this kit here:
Roland GK-KITGT3

Al told me that the factory will reluctantly fit one of these as originally specified if you custom order it, but I felt like being brave and having a go myself:-)

Needless to say this give you the 13 pin GK output which you need a piece of gear to turn into MIDI. I use the Roland GR-33 but there are other devices you can plug this into.

There was an Ebay listing for a Celebrity with the wart style pick up installed. Unfortunately at the time of posting it only has 15 mins to go. But no offers so far. The BIN is just over double what that pick-up would cost new.

Ebay Auction for Roland Ready Celebrity
Waskel
Posted 2006-12-11 5:22 PM (#227161 - in reply to #227158)

That would work much better for an acoustic. I've used them on a few electrics, haven't had as good of results with the synth on acoustics. Not sure why, they just don't seem to track as well.
First Alternate
Posted 2006-12-12 5:12 AM (#227162 - in reply to #227158)

I put a GK-2 on my 1869. The secret to good tracking is to get the PU as close to the stings and break point as possible, a very time consuming and frustrating procedure. I did it with double faced tape, and I must say I'm happy with the results.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)