The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT: Strats! - USA vs. Mexico vs. 3rd World - Strats!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Yak
Posted 2006-12-11 6:04 PM (#227119)
Subject: OT: Strats! - USA vs. Mexico vs. 3rd World - Strats!

OK..

SO Im looking at the possibility of a Strat. Is there any way to tell at a glance if its a USA, Mexican, or Over Seas strat? Obviously, Im mostly interested in the USA versions. Is there are model number system or the like that will tell me without a doubt its birthplace?

On the same subject, How much quality difference are between the USA and other versions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-11 6:10 PM (#227120 - in reply to #227119)
Subject: Re: OT: Strats! - USA vs. Mexico vs. 3rd World - Strats!

There was a long thread about this very subject a coupla months ago... Search "Strat"

best way to tell where it's made??? Read the "label"...
lanaki
Posted 2006-12-11 6:11 PM (#227121 - in reply to #227119)

i have not owned a usa version but i did own the mexican variety, white, jimmy vaughn model about four years ago. i purchased it new from musician's friend and sold it on eBay a few weeks later at a loss to someone who knew what it was but only wanted it for some parts. the quality was shabby. the pickguard was screwed on crooked with several of the screw holes already stripped. i could not get the intonation right and it buzzed from the 11th fret up on the B and high E strings. i should've sent it back to MF at the time and i can't recall why i didn't.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-11 6:15 PM (#227122 - in reply to #227119)

Search This:

"Fender Sratocaster Info ?? Go Ahead & Kick My Ass For Asking on The OFC"
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-12-11 6:18 PM (#227123 - in reply to #227119)

"Made in USA" appears under the logo on the peg head on standard strats, and on the reverse side for the deluxe versions with the spaghetti script. I've also never heard any complaints about the less expensive Japanese versions found on eBay (less than USA, but more than the Mexico models).
fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-11 6:49 PM (#227124 - in reply to #227119)

My mexi-strat is my favourite non-O guitar. But what do I know? Look at the company I keep!
Erniewan
Posted 2006-12-11 7:47 PM (#227125 - in reply to #227119)

i have a couple of mid 90's strat pluses, which are USA made. I always thought the fretwork was noticably better on the USA guitars.

i played a mexican buddy guy signature strat (in the polka dot finish)..

I almost needed stitches on my fingers after running my hands up the neck..

but, for what it's worth, i hear the mexican made models are making progress...

i'm sure you can find a good one if you try a few..
Tommy M.
Posted 2006-12-11 8:17 PM (#227126 - in reply to #227119)

For a noticeable start, the quality of the pick-ups and pods, are much better on the USA models. Fret work and fingerboard quality is also much better on the USA made strats. Let's face it: How else could Fender justify the price difference?
Joyful Noise
Posted 2006-12-11 8:41 PM (#227127 - in reply to #227119)

The Mexican strat serial numbers start with "M".
Jason_S
Posted 2006-12-11 8:43 PM (#227128 - in reply to #227119)

do they come with a free bottle of tequilla???...jason
Joyful Noise
Posted 2006-12-11 8:46 PM (#227129 - in reply to #227119)

Just the worm.
an4340
Posted 2006-12-11 8:47 PM (#227130 - in reply to #227119)

This is what a lot of people do: buy a made in mexico strat or strat body, and then put on a warmoth neck. Then over time upgrade the electronics and hardware. After a year you'll have a great guitar.

Henry Garza from the Los Lonely Boys does this too.
guitarwannabee
Posted 2006-12-11 9:37 PM (#227131 - in reply to #227119)

YAK, if you go back to older posts(75 days) it is on page 10 the post about Stratocasters and it has over 60 replys on the different thoughts on Strats.GWB
Shot in the Dark
Posted 2006-12-12 2:17 AM (#227132 - in reply to #227119)

Yo Yak,

I spotted your first post, shortly after you bought the Balladeer LX as your first guitar. I had done the same and we both were debating lowering the action and/or switching to lighter strings due to difficulty with bar chords.

We are running parallel tracks here. I bought the Balladeer just weeks before you and just received my second guitar, a stratocaster!

I wanted a Hamer, but don't want to settle for a mid-line one and didn't have the cash for a nice one, so I'll wait.

I debated long and hard about a Mexican made (Jimmie Vaughan) Strat and an American Deluxe. You'll find plenty of folks supporting Japanese, Korean, and Mexican Strats. The Jap Strats used to be really strong, but less so now. Not too many are currently liking the Korean ones. Most people think the Mexican ones are a great deal and excellent quality, especially certain models. Many don't think the quality between Mexican and American justifies the cost. That said, I occasionally hit comments about problems with the Mexican ones and have read almost no negative comments about problems with quality control on the American ones. Therefore, since I was buying sight unseen, I went with a high end American one and have no regrets. Read the links mentioned above and also visit www.fenderforum.com where there is a huge discussion room on stratocasters.

Like I've seen many people post here: How often do you look back and wish you got the lesser one. I love my new Balladeer, but sometimes I think maybe I should have sprung for a Legend instead. With the Strat, I am not ever thinking about the Jimmie Vaughan I passed on.

My new strat is an American Deluxe FMT HSS in Amber/Ebony - Flamed maple top with a humbucker at the bridge and ebony fretboard. Not a typical strat, but unarguably stunning. Just so everything is right in the world, you should get the same thing in a different color, as we did with the Balladeers. (I know you are concerned about my Karma as you make this guitar purchase.)

BTW - how's those bar chords coming? I took a few lessons and that made a bigger difference than an action adjustment or string change IMHO. But wait until you get that strat with the stock 9's on it. You'll nail the F major first try.

Good luck on the Strat search - but be warned - I already want another guitar! I keep my Balladeer at work and strat at home, but want another acoustic for home . . .

just need some money

SHOT
Prairie Dog
Posted 2006-12-12 8:40 AM (#227133 - in reply to #227119)

Fender is turning out high quality instruments from the factory in Mexico. Look at a Deluxe Player's Strat. Beautiful finishes, quality gold-plated vintage style hardware and top end "Noiseless" pickups. No need to "upgrade" anything. A very affordable professional grade instrument. It's not a thousand dollar guitar, but not a three hundred dollar guitar either.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2006-12-12 6:26 PM (#227134 - in reply to #227119)

I own three Strats, a Mexican 70s Reissue, a self-assembled Japanese (CIJ) '62 Reissue (bought the body and neck off of eBay) with Texas Special pickups, and just bought a NOS 2004 American Standard. They are all good, but the American is the best.

There is some woolyness with the Mexican Standards, once in a while, the fret ends aren't smoothed out, the screws aren't perfectly straight, etc. If you shop carefully and try before you buy, a Mexican Standard could be fine. But the American is a sure thing, I do not recall ever seeing a bad one from the fit and finish standpoint.

Roger
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-12-12 6:58 PM (#227135 - in reply to #227119)

I own three USA strats, a 50th Anniversary, a Deluxe, and an American Standard, all are ash. The cheapest of the bunch (the Standard with SRV Texas Special pups) is my favorite. The set up and feel is outstanding. I also have two USA Jaguars and a USA telecaster (the '52 blond ash RI). Still, the American Standard Strat remains my favorite.
playadamas
Posted 2006-12-12 10:37 PM (#227136 - in reply to #227119)

Firstly, I am no expert in Fender or electric guitars in general. But I have read this and heard the same from many electric guitar enthusiasts. "CIF" crafted in Japan Fenders were so good that Fender shut them down. Rumor has it the Fender execs almost cried when they first heard the sound of these guitars from their Japanese division.

Again, I only read this from somewhere. I do own a '62 Reissue CIF and I am very happy with it.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2006-12-13 11:37 AM (#227137 - in reply to #227119)

I recently sold on eBay a mexican Fender Robert Cray artist Strat, and it was by far the best of the MIM Strats I have played (and I have pretty much tried several of most models). But for the price of a Cray, you can pick up a well-used USA model and I would choose the latter.

In my experience, Fender's quality control is neither tight nor consistent. Just having USA on it is no guarantee of it being a better guitar. The best of the imports can be significantly better than a crappy USA guitar.

The Strat Plus model Ernie mentioned used to be a sleeper model that could be picked up for a relatively cheap price. Not any more unless you get lucky or blessed. But those are really fine guitars.

Back to the question: it depends on your budget. You can find used MIM Strats for ca. $200. Is a USA Strat for $600 three times better? Probably not. Best bang for the buck is an older MIJ Strat, but they are not a secret, either, and tend to bring higher prices than cheap USA guitars.

There really is no end to this discussion, but the variables to consider are budget and features.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)