The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Repair of 87 Collector's

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-16 1:08 PM (#226307)
Subject: Repair of 87 Collector's

I got an 87 Collector's awhile ago that has some issues. It had a fret buzz on the high E that I corrected by tapping down on the 15th fret, which looked like it was a little higher than the rest.
I put some new strings on recently and now from about the 11th fret up to the 15th it plays the same note, just like you're fretting the 15th. I thought the neck had a little warp, but a half turn on the truss rod hasn't done anything. The fret board appears to have a tiny rise where the neck joins the guitar, which peaks out at the 15th fret, then drops back off to the end of the fretboard. The difference is tiny, probably a fraction of the thickness of the fret.
Any ideas for a fix? I'm sure the easy fix would be to put a shim back in, but I'd like to keep the action as low as possible.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Koenig Kurt
Posted 2006-12-16 1:31 PM (#226308 - in reply to #226307)
Subject: Re: Repair of 87 Collector's

Sounds like what I had with my 1129 Custom Legend. The german factory said, this is well known and they call this the "legendary ovation hump" (no, not a role model in a cheap nuditity movie). I have never seen it before on any of my Ovations, but they had to do a neck reset. Not enough, they had to reset it three times until the guitar was playable again.
Erniewan
Posted 2006-12-16 1:44 PM (#226309 - in reply to #226307)

mark, i had the same issue with my 771 balladeer.

i brought it to my local luthier and he ever so slightly leveled the frets that were causing the issue. but kurt's right, if it's due to a major hump in the neck where it meets the body, it may be too far gone to level the frets, and a neck reset may be the solution.

Mine was the same way, a shim would solve it, but i wanted lower action. He charged me about 30 bucks. It actually took him a couple of hours. I can barely see the repair as you look down the neck. i guess mine was minor of enough of a hump to deal with, without having to perform major surgery.

but for such a sweet guitar like an 87, a trip to the mother ship for a "renewal" might be in order.

i hope it all works out.

ernie
stephent28
Posted 2006-12-16 2:45 PM (#226310 - in reply to #226307)

best bet is send it to the mothership for an evaluation. That's too nice of a guitar to not have it handled correctly.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-16 7:55 PM (#226311 - in reply to #226307)

I will probably send it to the factory eventually, probably before I give it to my daughter. It also has a finish crack right near the neck, which I suspect might be related to the bump in the neck. Right now, I keep spending too much on guitars that need to be sent to the factory. Maybe instead of buying another guitar, I should start sending one at a time back to the factory. When I get them back, it would be like having a new one. Still dreaming about blue Adamas, though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)