The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Onboard electronics or not???

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

tragocaster
Posted 2006-12-16 2:06 PM (#226292)
Subject: Onboard electronics or not???

I'd like to hear some of you fine folks opinions on this matter. It seems that there are some of us who prefer their acoustic guitars without the electronics for tonal reasons, and prefer to use some kind of non-permanent pickup for amplifying purposes.

I have one Celebrity that has the OP24+ electronics, and it has all of the quirks that make some folks detest piezo pickups. So, when I get tired of that, I just pop in an el cheapo Dean Markley Pro Mag Grand soundhole pickup in either my Legend, or my Matrix - both of which have no electronics, and it does provide a bit of relief from that piezo sound. Still, it's a compromise - and I'm not sure if it's one that I'd want to live with.

And is it really true that the Ovations WITHOUT the electronics sound that much better than those with??? I've never had the opportunity to compare two identical models side by side. Comparing a Celebrity SS bowl to an old beat up deep bowl Legend is hardly a fair comparison.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stephent28
Posted 2006-12-16 2:48 PM (#226293 - in reply to #226292)
Subject: Re: Onboard electronics or not???

Doesn't matter to me. More important how the guitar sounds and plays (and looks).

If I really liked a guitar I would not let the issue of electronics sway me one way or the other.

and remember....ovation will charge you MORE to not have electronics installed! :eek:
bauerhillboy
Posted 2006-12-16 3:19 PM (#226294 - in reply to #226292)

I think it's silly for someone to think that the space taken up by a preamp will make a perceptable difference in acoustic output.

I think the Piezo sound is a problem, though. A slightly old-school approach is what I've done to mt guitars; use the Ovation preamp, but rpl the Ovation p/u with something more natural-sounding. I prefer K&K Pure Western p/u's. It's a $100 fix, and I like the sound a lot.
The newest approach is to get a modeling preamp. You only get that with certain Ovations that have the VIP. However, if you buy an external version ( the D-Tar comes to mind) this becomes your preamp and customized sound for all your guitars.

More info than wanted, I'm sure. John <>{
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2006-12-16 3:22 PM (#226295 - in reply to #226292)

As with anything I think it totally depends on what you are using the guitar for. e.g. Right tool, right job.

For recording, the best recordings I have heard and done myself with an Ovation is a combination of Mic's and the pre-amp signal.

OnStage as a solo performer or in a group, depending on the size of the venue, it becomes a matter of logistics.

In your living room, you become your audience. My Medallion (Matrix) is my favorite guitar to play. It's easy to play, sounds great, and as a center hole, deep bowl, sounds great TO ME while I'm playing it.

My Book Elite on the otherhand, Sounds great to the person listening to me play (asside from the bad notes and being out of tune).

So getting back to your question, lets say an Acoustic only Ovation does sound better. Makes sense for sure. But if you are going to play that guitar onstage, it's a little silly to not have it sound good for the audience, and Ovation's pre-amps are the way to go for that.
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-16 3:29 PM (#226296 - in reply to #226292)

Originally posted by bauerhillboy:
I think it's silly for someone to think that the space taken up by a preamp will make a perceptable difference in acoustic output.
Agree. The issue is the saddle. Nothing beats solid bone between string and bridge. A/E saddles are filled with crystals, wires, gel and god knows what. It diminishes the energy transfer from string to soundboard. At least that's my theory.

I'm fortunate enough to have more than 1 guitar so I can keep something around for the odd gig opportunity (which still hasn't happened). As for the rest I prefer acoustic only. In addition to the point I made above I just don't like the looks of a 747 cockpit in the waist of my guitar. The FD14 was done right.

Dave
tragocaster
Posted 2006-12-16 5:30 PM (#226297 - in reply to #226292)

Nothing beats solid bone between string and bridge. A/E saddles are filled with crystals, wires, gel and god knows what. It diminishes the energy transfer from string to soundboard. At least that's my theory.
I was not aware of all that. I've been mostly an electric player for all these years, so I'm still learning all this stuff about acoustics.

Thanks guys, and keep 'em comin'....
tahitijack
Posted 2006-12-17 7:27 PM (#226298 - in reply to #226292)

When I bought my first acoustic I decided to choose one with onboard preamp (Fishman Prefix Blinder?). At the time I was wavering on this issue, but six acoustics later I have always purchased one with onboard preamp. I like the flexability of plugging-in and amping up.
Jason_S
Posted 2006-12-17 7:59 PM (#226299 - in reply to #226292)

i mostly play unplugged. but when i wanna plug in ive got several that i can but im not a fan of the "can" type preamps either. if im gonna have onboard electroincs my preference is thinline pickup, 2 knobber or stacked tone/vol preamps. my folklore has a soundboard transducer wired to a 1/4mono...jason
an4340
Posted 2006-12-17 10:03 PM (#226300 - in reply to #226292)

Some people like to mic their guitars, and like the sound that way, it gives a "natural", or what I would call "air" sound; others love the adamas/ovation sound. Some mix the two. You have to figure out what you like.

If you can't live with how your guitar sounds, well, bequeath me your guitars before you split this mortal coil.

Plugged in, live, at volume, ovation is the best. And I can't tell the difference if an ovation, or any other guitar for that matter, has a little preamp in it, or not, when played next to an identical unpreamp installed model.
Omaha
Posted 2006-12-17 10:44 PM (#226301 - in reply to #226292)

I'm of the opinion that the only good reason to put a pickup in an electric guitar is to facilitate live performances. In a controlled, low volume studio situation, mic's work just fine.

When it comes to pickups, the big issue is "to DSP or not to DSP?"

At the moment, I think the best sound comes from DSP (eg, DTar Mama Bear, Fishman Aura). Its noteworthy that both Martin and Ovation are putting Aura based DSP pre-amps in guitars these days.
colt357
Posted 2006-12-17 10:55 PM (#226302 - in reply to #226292)

I'll bite. What does DSP stand for?
Dave
Waskel
Posted 2006-12-17 11:02 PM (#226303 - in reply to #226292)

Digital Signal Processing
Yak
Posted 2006-12-17 11:22 PM (#226304 - in reply to #226292)

I notice that I prefer to use the "Shape" option on the OP-Pro, and by a good margin. Everything just sounds much more natural to me with it on. What exactly does "Shape" do to the signal? It almost sounds like a phase shift in the higer frequencies, but Im not sure. Does anyone has a graphic or good explaination of what "shape" actually does?
colt357
Posted 2006-12-17 11:39 PM (#226305 - in reply to #226292)

Thanks, Wabbit.

Dave
brainslag
Posted 2006-12-18 2:22 PM (#226306 - in reply to #226292)

If you like the guitar, and there's a chance you'll be recording or playing it live, get the pre amp. There may be a little difference with the solid bone nut, but the convenience of plug 'n' play at a gig will far outweigh a mic or external transducer (which is still an option if you want it).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)