The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Conflicted, and possibly cheap, but Michael

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2006-12-17 8:57 AM (#226225)
Subject: Conflicted, and possibly cheap, but Michael

did such a wonderful and thorough job on the viperIII body, which now has a couple of nice coats of clear on.. and man is it pretty. The daughter saw it and remarked "you shouldn't paint that it looks great now." I have to admit, I agree.. looked great when I got it.. Thanks Mwoody.

and since upon listening to Miles about how cool it would be to make a 12 string UK and the fact that the neck would almost go in the pocket as is/versus the viper body which will have to be milled out a bit before the neck will go in.

I think for the time being, I'll just build them out as the UKXII and a very nice natural necked,ebony fretboarded, natural finished, viper w/gold hw.

took me about 20 minutes with a small fine emery stone(by hand) to shave about a millimeter or so of paint/finish out of the neck pocket on the UK on either side.. the 12 string neck went in still a little snug(as it's supposed to) but now it seats fully and is not so tight that I'm worried about cracking/checking the finish on the neck.

can always change things later, as I get more "parts"...

the tuning machines, abm brass nut for the 6 string, 12 string bridge, and mini-buckers and pots are on the way.. so we'll see how they shake out...

guess I'm gonna have to get an Ugly or poorly grained body to do the Bluebird as I'd feel guilty covering this one up.

Glenn
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-12-17 9:18 AM (#226226 - in reply to #226225)
Subject: Re: Conflicted, and possibly cheap, but Michael

I can't wait to see that neck installed on a guitar.

I'm in the same situation Glenn - finishing a body with no grain whatsoever showing. It is hard to cover up a nicely grained speciman.

Instead of a guitar for Christmas, I placed a big order with Stew-mac and told the wife to wrap that instead. I need to get the assembly line moving!
MWoody
Posted 2006-12-17 11:58 AM (#226227 - in reply to #226225)
Subject: Re: Conflicted, and possibly cheap, but Michael

You guys are no help! I have a torn apart bathroom and a garage full of stuff that keeps the projects buried.

It is hard to cover good grain.

Keep those Mutts a coming!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)