The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1234
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
OT I need to vent

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

lanaki
Posted 2006-12-20 12:46 PM (#225914 - in reply to #225864)
Subject: Re: OT I need to vent

I agree with Brad, Cliff. Great post! Being a stay-at-home dad with two wee ones, it is nice to hear good tips like yours. My daughters are with me 24/7 with the exception of when I have a gig and they have even been at a couple of those. The church environment is one where many children learn that there are times to sit quiet and times to interact. But I am always thankful that we can retreat to the "Daddy's Room" when necessary. I appreciate the compliments my wife and I often hear about our daughters behaving so well. I imagine that WalMart security cameras have captured our two year old wandering the aisles seemingly by herself a time or two though. She's an independent shopper like her mom.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-12-20 1:04 PM (#225915 - in reply to #225864)

We had no problem with taking our kids out when they were younger. But then I also had no problem taking them out to the car from the restaurant when they were behaving badly.

Of course, now they're teenagers and don't want to be seen with us.....
cliff
Posted 2006-12-20 1:29 PM (#225916 - in reply to #225864)

Smart Kids.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-12-20 1:35 PM (#225917 - in reply to #225864)

Typical teenagers....
brainslag
Posted 2006-12-20 1:39 PM (#225918 - in reply to #225864)

I have 2 cents, so let me up my post count.

First off let me say - LOL! Festivus, for the rest of us. A classic! Don't forget the aluminum pole. "First we'll have the airing of the grievances, then... the feats of strength..."

Now a couple of observations:
1. T.V. these days is bad. The Simpsons is not for little ones, but it is a cartoon, so off the bat they know it's make-believe (it was funny when Daffy Duck got it in the face with both barrels, but we knew it wasn't real, so we didn't do it to our friends). The sit-coms these days are nothing but crude jokes, sexual innuendo, or just come right out and offend. It's all the norm now, and it won't get any better.

1. Lawsuits are out of controll. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it start with the hot McDonald's coffee? The judge should have thrown it out. If it were me, I would have said -
A. - Did you order iced coffee?
B. - Would you have complained, or returned it if it were lukewarm?
C. - So then you expected a hot cup of coffee?
D. - Did a McDonald's employee spill it on you? or did you spill it on yorself?
E. - NEXT CASE!
So now we have parents who are affraid to discepline their children, teachers who aren't allowed to discepline, police officers who offten get into trouble for using 'excessive' force - when it's not(sometimes it is, though and shame on them), harrassement suits of all shapes and sizes etc. and don't get me started on overweight people who sue fast food franchises. They didn't shove the food down thier gullets.

3. Kids these days are over stimulated with hundreds of TV channels, video games, the internet etc. They need to be entertained 24/7, and have little imagination. Remember when mom told you to get out of the house? You found a friend an went fishing, or bike riding or built a tree house or fort, or played cowboys and indians or whatever, and it was lucky if you were back by dinner. I tell my kids to go outside, and 2 minutes later they're back telling me they're bored. Ugh!

3. People who don't discepline at all aren't doing their kids any favors - but the no spanking method doesn't work. My sister-in-law was a big proponent of this before she had kids, but it didn't last long afterward. It also makes my blood boil when a child does this little insignificant thing in public and the parent goes ballistic, and shakes and hits the kid. But I can't say anything, because of the yelling at I would get from said parent afterwards.

Anyway, it's clear society is changing, and not for the better. I can say a lot more, some of you would agree, some wouldn't. Let's just do the best we can with what we have, tip a glass, and go play our guitars.
cliff
Posted 2006-12-20 1:44 PM (#225919 - in reply to #225864)

". . Lawsuits are out of control. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it start with the hot McDonald's coffee? . ."

You're wrong.
It started with the creation of the Lawyer.
fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-20 2:20 PM (#225920 - in reply to #225864)

Originally posted by cliff:
From the time she was two-weeks-old, she was continually exposed...
Most places have laws about that kind of thing
When we came “out”, she went WITH us.
I can just picture you all at the pride parade
this day I can shoot that “glare” to her from across a crowded room, and it will literally stop her heart mid-beat.
I've read of similar parents in Stephen King novels.
:D
Having never had children, I have always been an expert and kindly helped all my friends raise theirs. They really seemed to appreciate the help. :rolleyes:
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-20 2:25 PM (#225921 - in reply to #225864)

Sorry, Cliff. A lawyer didn't give that lady any money, a jury did. And a few years before that, people didn't go run to a lawyer everytime something happened that didn't please them. Blaming it on the lawyer is a cop out failure to acknowlege a larger societal problem. Juries reflect our society's values and unfortunately American values have gone to hell. The lawyers didn't change those values, they just used them.
When people stop making frivolous claims, a lot of us will be out of work. But there will be more lawyers as long as there are people who are willing to hire them.

Edit: I was just getting ready to compliment Cliff on the wisdom of his post about children and then he reverted to the dumb cheap shot, so I took my turn to rant.
caitly
Posted 2006-12-20 2:33 PM (#225922 - in reply to #225864)

The McDonald\'s Case

This post asserts *nothing* beyond taking extra care when handling McDonald's coffee.

-Tom
caitly
Posted 2006-12-20 2:38 PM (#225923 - in reply to #225864)

The McDonald\'s Case

Sorry, boys, for the bad link.

Hope this works.

-Tom
cliff
Posted 2006-12-20 2:39 PM (#225924 - in reply to #225864)

And a good rant it was.

Mark, it was nothing personal and you DID offer a lot of VERY valid points.

. . . but living/working amongst the highest concentration of lawyers per square mile in the world, I can offer little sympathy.
an4340
Posted 2006-12-20 2:40 PM (#225925 - in reply to #225864)

Don't scoff at blaming the lawyers. They're like drug dealers addicting addicts. The enablier is worse than than the addict. It's a cop out to say what lawyers do is not their fault, rather it's societies. It's like some ghetto kid saying he shouldn't be blamed for a crime since "society" made him do it.
an4340
Posted 2006-12-20 2:43 PM (#225926 - in reply to #225864)

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of good honest lawyers out there, I'm just saying that there are some that are only interested in making money and don't care how much suffering they cause, especially when championing an unjust cause.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-12-20 2:58 PM (#225927 - in reply to #225864)

Just and unjust are not things that were taught to us in law school. Due process and the protection of individual rights was. I work with thousands of lawyers. Most are very bright, thoughtful, and well-caring individuals. Some are very thoughtless and have very questionable ethics. However, nobody appreciates a good lawyer joke more than a lawyer.
brainslag
Posted 2006-12-20 3:09 PM (#225928 - in reply to #225864)

While we're on it, what does everyone think of the "No Child Left Behind" bill. OMG, give me a break. They should have called it the "Your Too Stupid To Pass School, So We'll Just Make You Feel Better About Yourself" bill. What a great way to get grades up in this country.
fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-20 3:19 PM (#225929 - in reply to #225864)

Lawyers are no better and no worse than the rest of us...they're just better trained in semantics and the minutiae of law.

And when YOU want one, you'll go looking for the meanest pitbull bastard-who-never-loses that you can find. If you don't, you're a fool. Because the other side just did.
lanaki
Posted 2006-12-20 3:27 PM (#225930 - in reply to #225864)

Originally posted by brainslag:
While we're on it, what does everyone think of the "No Child Left Behind" bill. OMG, give me a break. They should have called it the "Your Too Stupid To Pass School, So We'll Just Make You Feel Better About Yourself" bill. What a great way to get grades up in this country.
The NEA's agenda, believe it or not, is to dumb down our children in preparation for the New World Order. They want masses of slave minded workers who cannot think for themselves, have no national pride and no moral absolute thought processing. This is in accordance with the United Nations Agenda 21. Look that up if you want to see where the designers of global governance are leading us.
an4340
Posted 2006-12-20 3:38 PM (#225931 - in reply to #225864)

Sounds like the NEA wants us to be lawyers (If you subscibe to the theory that lawyers need not concern themselves with moral absolute thought, or justice). That would be great, a whole nation of lawyers, no I take it back, a whole world filled with nothing but ...

You know what, this rant took a wrong turn ...

Can someone please get it back on track? New pot plants are resistant to herbicide and can grown all year round! Now that\'s good news.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-20 3:42 PM (#225932 - in reply to #225864)

This thread explains why Old male Grizzlies kill cubs...

call this guy next time you run into outta control kids, Worked on Cartman:
lanaki
Posted 2006-12-20 3:43 PM (#225933 - in reply to #225864)

somewhere along the way, the whole world took a wrong turn. can Someone please get it back on track?
lanaki
Posted 2006-12-20 3:45 PM (#225934 - in reply to #225864)

jeff,
cesar could do the trick if our kids all had a pack mentality...
cliff
Posted 2006-12-20 3:56 PM (#225935 - in reply to #225864)

perhaps he should be a moderator here . . .
fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-20 3:58 PM (#225936 - in reply to #225864)

Originally posted by an4340:
Can someone please get it back on track? New pot plants are resistant to herbicide and can grown all year round!
Speaking of 'dumbing down,' how about journalists...people who work with words for a living...using herbicide and pesticide interchangably?

"In Alice in Wonderland, the Red Queen tells Alice: “A word means what I want it to mean.”
The more we speak in this fashion, the more we may as well bark at each other as pretend to communicate. I got that on the down low....! :rolleyes:
lanaki
Posted 2006-12-20 4:09 PM (#225937 - in reply to #225864)

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/travelgetaways/10575232/detail.html

now they're sending babies through airport x-ray scanners...
fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-20 4:50 PM (#225938 - in reply to #225864)

How else you gonna find the car keys?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)