The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1234
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT I need to vent

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

alpep
Posted 2006-12-19 12:17 PM (#225864)
Subject: OT I need to vent

Monday evening is usally a night that the lovely and talented suzipep and myself drop off packages at ups and then stop off at a local pizza restaurant that has a monday night special.

we sat down in a booth ordered our pizza and settled into a long conversation solving the woes of our personal life and the world.

a mother and her kids sat in the booth behind me. somewhere in the middle of my third slice of pizza the duaghter started to violently swing her legs and kick at the booth. I did not say anything but turned my head towards that booth to indicate to the mother that I was annoyed. she asked the child to stop but the child continued.

after the fifth time I tuned around and said "hey that is really annoying and I am trying to eat my dinner over here"
the mother replied with " I asked her to stop and she did"

well if the child did I would have never said antyhing.

So my back is toward this bim and she is trying to catch suzi's eye to give her a nasty look or say something to her. we get up to pay the check and the bim sneers "happy holidays"
which I replied "you too"

Have we degenerated so much as a society that when a child does somthing wrong it has to be turned around on the person they annoyed?

back in the day My old man would have dragged me out of the booth made me apologize and then made my backcside red.

now I am the bad guy because I expect people to discipline their children.

some people should never have kids.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2006-12-19 12:29 PM (#225865 - in reply to #225864)
Subject: Re: OT I need to vent

Procreation Should Require a Permit.
Capo Guy
Posted 2006-12-19 12:34 PM (#225866 - in reply to #225864)

Al,

I see what you are talking about everyday. I try and not act like a crabby old man but sometimes....

We now live in society where bad behavior,(even by adults), is the norm.

My peeve is cell phones I really don't like to be in a public place and listen to someone else's phone conversation.

BTW; MERRY CHRISTMAS
MrDano
Posted 2006-12-19 12:42 PM (#225867 - in reply to #225864)

I feel your pain Al - often. I have 3 kids and we are out in public together quite often. If any one of my kids behaved in that kind of manner I would take care of it the same way my old man did to me.

Nothing wrong with laughing and giggling and enjoying yourself - it's another thing to bang and jump and kick and run around and scream... arghhhhh....
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-19 12:43 PM (#225868 - in reply to #225864)

Originally posted by alpep:
some people should never have kids.
... and I'm one of them.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-12-19 12:45 PM (#225869 - in reply to #225864)

Al - as a parent of a few kids who have their moments in public places - you did the right thing in letting the bim know. I'm amazed at some the of things kids get away with. My kids think I'm a nazi at times... if only they knew how it was when we were kids...

GGG - I agree with you on cell phones too... even the people who are driving and having a conversation on a handheld like there's nothing else going on... if it were up to me... mandatory headsets in cars.

And while we're bitching... I just got back from a tour of the local Gamestops and other electronic stores in search of the illusive Nintendo DS Lite... WTF!!! The thing has been around for a few years now. My son is getting an IOU for Christmas.

On a positive note... I did not encounter any bad behavior by any grownups today... that in itself is a Festivus miracle!
stonebobbo
Posted 2006-12-19 12:45 PM (#225870 - in reply to #225864)

I think they've made it illegal to spank or otherwise discipline your children. It's now the responsibility of the school system to establish and enforce parenting standards.

See Al, things have gone to hell since you retired.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2006-12-19 12:47 PM (#225871 - in reply to #225864)

I've felt those exact same things many,many times Al.
John <>{
Jason_S
Posted 2006-12-19 12:51 PM (#225872 - in reply to #225864)

our 2 teenage boys have their moments in public as well,if i had my way i would blister their ass but that will get you locked up these days..

i also agree with the cell phones in public and in cars. when im out eating with the family or something the phone is off. i hate it when some moron is driving and paying more attention to the phone than the road. when im driving i hate to answer the phone but if i have to my headset will work both the cell and the 2way on my nextel....jason
MWoody
Posted 2006-12-19 12:59 PM (#225873 - in reply to #225864)

Its getting harder and harder to shame some adults any more!

Petty soon words like spanking, a$$whoop'in and smack'in will say "archaic" in Websters.

Yup, I'm old...
alpep
Posted 2006-12-19 1:01 PM (#225874 - in reply to #225864)

suzi says to me "Al, you can be scarey to people that don't know you"
my response "good"

I agree with cell phones. I stood outside the pizza restaurant finishing my phone call before I walked in.

stonebobbo I guess you are right.

jeff W. I often tell my nieces and nephews if I had kids DYFS (aka CPS) would be knocking on my door every other day.
Capo Guy
Posted 2006-12-19 1:04 PM (#225875 - in reply to #225864)

Al,

This is a great subject. We all need to vent sometimes.

BTW; Did you save the pizza box for future guitar shipments?
MWoody
Posted 2006-12-19 1:06 PM (#225876 - in reply to #225864)

Its easier to have kids than it is to get a Buildng Permit - something is all wrong.

My peave is the kids climbing and standing in the Grocery Cart while Mom/Dad are oblivious.
alpep
Posted 2006-12-19 1:08 PM (#225877 - in reply to #225864)

Originally posted by Gospel Guitar Guy:
Al,

This is a great subject. We all need to vent sometimes.

BTW; Did you save the pizza box for future guitar shipments?
I did

and your point?
lanaki
Posted 2006-12-19 1:11 PM (#225878 - in reply to #225864)

well al, i only have one thing to say and it's...

"In Jersey anything's legal as long as you don't get caught"

that leaves a world of options for you!
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-12-19 1:18 PM (#225879 - in reply to #225864)

I took this pic of my bratty nephew as we were driving home from the beach...
lanaki
Posted 2006-12-19 1:23 PM (#225880 - in reply to #225864)

Again, the words of a very wise man ring true, "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction will drive it far from him" Proverbs 22:15 "He that spares the rod, hates his son, but he that loves him chastises him at times" Proverbs 13:24
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-19 1:37 PM (#225881 - in reply to #225864)

Al, It's you own damn fault. You should have stopped after 2 slices!
TexasDoc
Posted 2006-12-19 2:59 PM (#225882 - in reply to #225864)

My kids have learned. They don't act up in public when I am around (my wife is a little more lenient).

There are plenty of ways to inflict pain that are 1, unnoticable to others watching and 2, don't leave marks.

Too bad others don't care about disciplining their children.
Styll
Posted 2006-12-19 2:59 PM (#225883 - in reply to #225864)

haha

its all that parents with kids "need to get out thing" you know im all for that but have respect back for those who dont.

somehow ive learned to ignore it.

but...
If i had done that i would have either been told to relax...punished...slapped...or we would have left...

usually all of the above was a guaranteed given.

Then I would have heard it from the old man when we got home and got it all over again.

I think it all went to s*%*t when all the suing of the parents began.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-19 3:13 PM (#225884 - in reply to #225864)

When a local family sued the school district because they wouldn't let their daughter attend school with blue hair, I decided to send ours to private school.
My wife tried the no spanking thing, but after our eldest's second or third tantrum, I cured the problem the old way. There is no reasoning with a little kid, it's kind of like talking to your dog, but they know who is bigger.
Last Christmas I was wrestling with my nephews and one of them bit me. Without thinking about it I slapped him across the face. My brother's a psychologist and I thought I was going to have my uncle privileges withdrawn, but instead he told me my nephew wanted to talk to me. My nephew apologized and I apologized and we decided we would still be best friends. I haven't been bit since. Some other parents would have sued me.
Mitchrx
Posted 2006-12-19 3:17 PM (#225885 - in reply to #225864)

The thing that I worry about is what kind of people these undisciplined, spoiled, self-centered little brats are going to grow up to be. Selfish, inconsiderate, crybabies most likely.

I don't like to be too pessimistic, especially around Holiday time, but the total lack of control that some parents exhibit in public over their kids is downright scary.

While I'm on a rant (hey, Al started it) don't blame the schools for the failure of the parents. My wife is a H.S. principal and she's seen it all. Also, this stuff goes on irrespective of income level. I see it on the NYC subways in the poorest sections of Brooklyn as well as at some swanky malls.

Many here were raised, as I was, in the 60's and society was different then. Parents gave you a good whack when you stepped outta line. It was expected. I'm not advocating violence against kids, but some parents are are really controlled by their youngsters, instead of vice versa.
MWoody
Posted 2006-12-19 3:38 PM (#225886 - in reply to #225864)

"The thing that I worry about is what kind of people these undisciplined, spoiled, self-centered little brats are going to grow up to be. Selfish, inconsiderate, crybabies most likely."

Don't worry. Their children will rebel and have discipline.
lanaki
Posted 2006-12-19 3:44 PM (#225887 - in reply to #225864)

Look at how the mainstream media has molded the kids (and adults) who spend hours watching it. The movies/TV shows/video games that support respectable family values are about non-existant. Watch how the most popular sitcoms and animated features like The Simpsons treat the father figure and how the children in these families respond to the adults. How many families still honor and enjoy the sit-down meal time? Where are all the non-wimpy dads?

My wife and I rarely go to the movies anymore, however, last night we took advantage of some theatre gift certificates we received for my birthday back in September. My step-son and his girlfriend, who gave me the certificates, came over to sit with our daughters. We saw Will Smith's new movie, "The Pursuit of Happyness". Finally, a true story about a hero dad. We really enjoyed this flick even though we suffered right along with the main character through all of his trials.
an4340
Posted 2006-12-19 3:56 PM (#225888 - in reply to #225864)

Happened yesterday. I was unchaining my bicycle from in front of a music school that has a pre-k for wealthy kids. One of the kids is watching me and starts rapid fire coughing on me. The mother is nearby and sees this and does nothing. I tell the kid it's rude and unsanitary and not nice to cough on people. I stand up and stare the little bugger down. I glare at the mother. The mother comes running over and takes her disease ridden wealthy germ factory away from my presence. Not a word was spoken about how you shouldn't cough on people. Sad we need another September 11 to put the fear of god in people. Unless they have this fear, I see no other way to make them care for their fellow man.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)