The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Why am I so picky?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Yak
Posted 2006-12-20 12:19 AM (#225774)
Subject: Why am I so picky?

Why am I so picky about strings?

Every time I try a new set of strings, there is something about them that makes me want to cut them off in a day! Is there really no "holy grail" when it comes to strings? There is something about every set I've tried that bothers me. Some are too dead sounding up top, others have dead treble strings, some are too squeaky, some too slippery (polywebs), some too buzzy/brassy, some too stiff, some have weak/flat tone, etc.. it just goes on and on.

Do I just have to settle and take some good with some bad? Kinda settle on the lesser of two evils?

I know... it looks like Im obsessed with strings, especially if you read my other posts... and you know what.. I am!

Is it just me?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wess
Posted 2006-12-20 12:57 AM (#225775 - in reply to #225774)
Subject: Re: Why am I so picky?

hello Yak,
have you tried newtone? here's the link. I use the master tone series and get good results. change them about every 80 hours of playing.
http://www.acousticguitar.net/home.html
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2006-12-20 3:45 AM (#225776 - in reply to #225774)

Yak, I feel your pain. I don't know if its habit, or like many things just using something enough to where you know the subtle difference and nothing else is good enough.

When I bought my first Ovation electric I got a set of Kaman Performers with it. When it came time for new strings, I just kindof stuck with them. I like a few others like GHS Boomers, but I really like the sound and feel of the Kaman Performers. Around 1980 I purchased a boatload of strings. I was in the Navy, and the guy that owned the music store back home was kind enough to not count real well, especially on a large order like this, so I didn't have to buy strings for almost 15 years!!!. So now it's the mid 90's and I'm running low on my stash, and I realize Kaman Performers no longer exist. I have tried many strings, and still do, but at every chance I buy up any Performers that show up and use them on my favorite guitars.

Honestly I don't know what's special about them. I have tried other strings with the same (as best as I can tell) specs, but yet, they don't feel the same.

So no, you are not alone.
Steve
Posted 2006-12-20 12:14 PM (#225777 - in reply to #225774)

Maybe we could do some researh and learn who originally manufactured Kaman Performers. As I understand it there aren't that many string/wire manufacturers in the US. They might make them under another name...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)