The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
I found this interesting

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

John B
Posted 2006-12-20 2:04 PM (#225704)
Subject: I found this interesting

This may spark an interesting discussion that is somewhat on topic.

Procol Harem Lawsuit
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2006-12-20 2:13 PM (#225705 - in reply to #225704)
Subject: Re: I found this interesting

Hey Al!!

Get Elliot Randall on the phone! . . . .
Omaha
Posted 2006-12-20 2:22 PM (#225706 - in reply to #225704)

If that was a US court, I'd be taking a lot more interest.

Still, it is troubling. We we are working out new stuff, often I will say things to (for example) our bass player like "play whatever you want in this measure, but make it kindof funky and be sure to end on an F# really hard". I let him fill it in from there.

Not like we are going to be producing any top 10 stuff and having to contend with million dollar contracts, but it does make you wonder how those things work. When I write a song, I write the lyrics, lay down some chord progressions and work out the hook. The rest we fill in in rehersal. but I still consider it "my" song.

Hmmm.....
Mitchrx
Posted 2006-12-20 2:30 PM (#225707 - in reply to #225704)

The ruling is completely wrong. There's a good chance that it will ber reversed on appeal.
Then again, it's a British court so who knows.
:D :p (Just kidding!)

Really though, imagine the implications of this kind of judge-made law. Take the song "Reelin' in the Years" by Steely Dan, for example. There's no question that the guitar solos are a major part of the song's popularity. According to this judge, the studio guitarist (Elliot Randall, not a member of the band) should get a piece of the royalties, rather than just his fee for the gig. Same thing would go for Eddie Van Halen's work on Wacko Jacko's "Beat It." What it would come down to is that if the songwriter does not write EVERY note in every part of the recording, a musician who creates a solo in the song would have a right to a part of the royalties. Taken to its logical extreme, Ringo should get a piece of every Beatles tune since Lennon and McCartney certainly didn't write the drum parts.

I'm sure many here can come up with more and better examples of the implications of this ruling.

This is just plain wrong.
cliff
Posted 2006-12-20 2:50 PM (#225708 - in reply to #225704)

I think he should've been awarded a percentage of future proceeds(maybe). But a percentage of AUTHORSHIP on a song that was written before he even joined??? . . . I don't think so.

There's gonna be a sh!tload of waivers flying around recording studios in the future . . .
fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-20 3:10 PM (#225709 - in reply to #225704)

I sense a resurgence of The Arranger...the fella who writes everyones parts.

Damn! Then I really will have to learn to read music...
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-12-20 3:16 PM (#225710 - in reply to #225704)

An iron-clad executory contract up front specifying the rights and responsibilities of studio musicians vis-a-vis the writers should serve to mitigate damage awards by juries in the event a contract musician should make a subsequent claim against a loss on the royalties. I don't know much about recording/copyright law, but I do know the law has evolved to the substantial favor of the writers and not necessarily the recording artists.
John B
Posted 2006-12-20 3:22 PM (#225711 - in reply to #225704)

Originally posted by ProfessorBB:
An iron-clad executory contract up front specifying the rights and responsibilities of studio musicians vis-a-vis the writers should serve to mitigate damage awards by juries in the event a contract musician should make a subsequent claim against a loss on the royalties. I don't know much about recording/copyright law, but I do know the law has evolved to the substantial favor of the writers and not necessarily the recording artists.
That's EXACTLY was I was gonna say :p
cliff
Posted 2006-12-20 3:31 PM (#225712 - in reply to #225704)

This is a well & good for FUTURE endeavours, but it sets a precedent that's gonna have people coming out of the woodwork with their hands out . . .
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-12-21 1:52 AM (#225713 - in reply to #225704)

Side-Story-- I heard Willy Nelson doing Whiter Shade of Pale on one of them Saturday Midnight Rock Concerts on the radio. Sounded good too. Go Willy! I think he was playing that geetar with the extra holes in it...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)