The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Stolen Ovations

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Geostorm98
Posted 2011-09-01 7:02 AM (#885)
Subject: Stolen Ovations

On night of August 18, 2011 2 Ovation guitars were stolen from my bldg in Winsted CT: #691 Balladeer 1967 vintage that belonged to my Dad and a Adamas Millenium, one of only 75 produced, 'factory reconditioned guitar' sticker in the bowl. These guitars were my most cherished possesions and any help from the forum here would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to sleeep for 2 weeks. They are truly irreplaceable. Thanks, George Frey (please note I had trouble with my first post and this may show twice)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2011-09-01 8:24 AM (#886 - in reply to #885)
Subject: Re: Stolen Ovations

so sorry to hear this
stonebobbo
Posted 2011-09-01 4:59 PM (#887 - in reply to #885)

We'll keep our eyes out for them. Lots of people here are local to you too.
Patch
Posted 2011-09-01 5:42 PM (#888 - in reply to #885)

And lots of us scour things like Craig's List, etc. Best of luck.
standing
Posted 2011-09-01 7:17 PM (#889 - in reply to #885)

Originally posted by Patch:
And lots of us scour things like Craig's List, etc. Best of luck.
more so than some care to admit… ;)

…but we'll keep an eye out for them, most of the regulars here could pick either of those guitar models out of a lineup at a distance of 50 yards… you might want to check local pawn shops, since it's unlikely the thieves are guitar players, (let alone Ovation guitar players,) they will probably just want to get such hot (and large) goods out of their hands as quickly as possible. I think it varies by state, but pawn shops in your area may be required by law to put a temporary hold on guitars that they take in and to check a police-issued list of stolen items for that very reason. You DID file a report with the police, right?

Good luck, hope you get them back soon.
Geostorm98
Posted 2011-09-02 6:36 AM (#890 - in reply to #885)

Thanks and it sounds like I'm among friends - my Dad had a machine shop that was right next to Ovation when they moved to New Htfd from Bloomfield. That's how my Dad wound up with #691. Anyway, back then we'd see a small basket or two of necks rolling by off the Richardson gunstock machine for carving/raw sanding...then it was half a dozen baskets and eventually huge carts with dozens. We made all the tension rods/nuts and had a 35 year business relationship. At one point in the late 80's early 90's Ovation was swamped with work and we set up to carve, raw sand and mask necks. We were supplying 140-240 necks a week. I personally carved over 75K necks during this period. Eventually Ovation procured a million dollar machine which took over most of the hand work leaving just some minor carving and raw sanding before finishing. Definetly more ergonomic but of course I felt the fully hand carved necks had more character! Progress sometimes comes with a cost and ultimately the wheel turned and those days are long past. It was really exciting being associated with Ovation and seeing them grow. Having my guitars stolen was a crushing blow and I really appreciate your responses and concern. Thanks, Geo - PS My Dad's #691 shiny bowl Balladeer has his name engraved on the tension rod cover, it reads 'GEORGE' of course!
Geostorm98
Posted 2011-09-02 6:44 AM (#891 - in reply to #885)

I did file a full report with the police, contacted local pawn shops (they have to hold them for 30 days before selling) and posted some fliers offering a reward.
Geostorm98
Posted 2011-09-02 6:53 AM (#892 - in reply to #885)

One other thing - my wife felt so bad she bought me a vintage Glen Campbell model off of ebay S/N F 962 - rec'v it last night and it's incredible. I was stringing it up last night and noted that while I was talking with my wife my voice was resonating loudly within the bowl, a good sign! The thing hardly has a scratch on it, played very little, neck and bridge perfect, no cracks in the top. It sounds really sweet, just the classic Ovation sound. How else to make the pain go away than to buy another Ovation!
stephent28
Posted 2011-09-02 11:26 AM (#893 - in reply to #885)

Sad George but best of luck with your search.

I would keep a particular eye on CL and ebay (epecially ebay over the next 3-4 months) and hopefully they will turn up.
Michael R. Winters
Posted 2011-09-07 4:44 PM (#894 - in reply to #885)

mbedard
Posted 2011-09-27 4:06 PM (#895 - in reply to #885)

Just seeing this post, now I understand your inquiring about "Factory Reconditioned" on the post about the Millennium I just bought! Coincidentally, I bought it on August 13th, right before your theft. Man, what a strange world. Here's a link to a FB picture I posted that day when I got it (just so we can all feel better that it isn't yours!):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.50534287744.48961.79066774...

I wish you all the best in getting back these cherished instruments, especially the Balladeer from your Dad, that's a tough blow.

Regards,
Mark
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)