The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Listening with one ear closed

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Slipkid
Posted 2006-12-26 4:49 PM (#225041)
Subject: Listening with one ear closed

I know it's nothing new but I've "re-discovered" something. Pick a favorite recording and isolate one instrument to pay attention to. Some songs, even some of my favorites, are mixed into so much mush that it's difficult to seperate things out. But there are a few that really make me appreciate the musicianahip that went into it.
Just an couple examples.....
Ringo's drums on "Here Comes The Sun".
Paul's bass on "Nowhere Man".
And my current favorite example... Van Morrison's "Wild Nights". There's a song where all the parts, bass, lead, & drums, come together like a CS&N harmony. Great stuff by themselves but magic when put together.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2006-12-26 5:05 PM (#225042 - in reply to #225041)
Subject: Re: Listening with one ear closed

"When I'm Sixty-Four".
When you "pan" it hard RIGHT(I believe, but could be the other one), you LOSE pretty much most of the mix, and predominantly get just woodwinds & backing vocals . . .
(The woodwind arrangement is pretty "spiffy").
Waskel
Posted 2006-12-26 5:12 PM (#225043 - in reply to #225041)

Good ol' George Martin...
Two gems from the Anthology cd's are the instrumental track to "Eleanor Rigby", and the vocal-only version of "Because". Hypnotic.
Joyful Noise
Posted 2006-12-26 5:20 PM (#225044 - in reply to #225041)

Clapton's 'Lay Down Sally' is interesting because the two main rythm guitar parts are totally isolated, one on the left and one on the right. Yet they mix so well it's barely noticable unless you do a hard pan left or right.
Trader Jim
Posted 2006-12-26 5:25 PM (#225045 - in reply to #225041)

Originally posted by cliff:
"When I'm Sixty-Four".
When you "pan" it hard RIGHT(I believe, but could be the other one), you LOSE pretty much most of the mix, and predominantly get just woodwinds & backing vocals . . .
(The woodwind arrangement is pretty "spiffy").
most of the Beatles songs are that way, instrumentals on one side and vocals on the other. (I only know this because the stereo I had at the time only had one chanel)
Slipkid
Posted 2006-12-26 5:31 PM (#225046 - in reply to #225041)

Yeah... this probably works best with Beatle songs because of the way they were mixed.
Brian T
Posted 2006-12-26 6:34 PM (#225047 - in reply to #225041)

In my younger years I played a lot in bands, but then I took about a twenty year break where almost everthing I played was solo acoustic stuff. While you learn a lot of things about being a "one man band" playing solo, you kind of forget the art and musicianship of doing just your part and blending in with a band. Nowadays I really enjoy playing in a band but I find I have to watch the tendancy to play solo acoustic style.

Lately I'm trying to re-learn electric guitar style (again). Sometimes I am amazed that often really good electric guitar playing is about how little you play instead of trying to fill up the whole song.
fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-26 6:38 PM (#225048 - in reply to #225041)

"Music is actually the space in between the notes"

Can't remember where I first heard that. For me, often, music is not in my ears...but the space between.
Weaser P
Posted 2006-12-26 8:53 PM (#225049 - in reply to #225041)

I'm a huge fan of lying in the recliner/lounge/couch, strapping on some headphones, closing my eyes and getting lost in great music (and almost any genre will work for me) and it's not uncommon at all that I'll pick up on a single instrument and follow it through. I think it really adds to my appreciation.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-12-26 9:13 PM (#225050 - in reply to #225041)

One thing I find really cool when listening on headphones is when the song moves from one ear to the other... gives me a chill actually when it happens... two examples that I can think of are Yes's "South Side of the Sky" off of Fragile and "Whole Lotta Love".

My favorite headphone CD is "Animals" by Pink Floyd.
Northcountry
Posted 2006-12-26 9:43 PM (#225051 - in reply to #225041)

I think following one instrument or another is the sign of a true musician. We have a lot of them here.. So many people who listen to music just listen to the whole product as one big mash. They are caught by the hook and really do not understand what they are truly listening to, other than a cranking guitar solo from time to time and if you ask them what the song was about or what any of the lyrics are they can't tell you.

I, like many of you, love listening to a song for what each instrument has to offer I usually do this for a few days before trying to follow and learn a guitar track or bass line.

Just learned the Bass run for "Close to the Edge" and "In the Presence Of" There are a lot of great Bass players who have written some brilliant bass lines. Chris is certainly on the top of that list. He somehow manages to build a seperate melody around his stuff and an intricate weave of driving notes addded to work way up on the high frets and it gives YES it's sound as much as Rick's million note march across a keyboard or Steve's fast and often quirky lead guitar selections.

Listen to "Close to the Edge" again sometime or even "Sound Chaser" and separate out the Bass lines! I find it brillaint and so much fun to play now that I have done my homework and figured them out! Took a while longer than I had expected. THANK YOU TASCAM!

Randy
MWoody
Posted 2006-12-26 9:50 PM (#225052 - in reply to #225041)

Here's a variation. It was many moons ago that if you let the album run on past the end of the song with certain Pink Floyd albums, you would hear song extra "stuff". Recently I have heard this with Todd Agnew and Brenton Brown's CDs.

Really interesting when you fall asleep with the head phones on.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-12-26 9:53 PM (#225053 - in reply to #225041)

And another variation - One of Monty Python's albums has the B side split into 2 separate tracks... so depending upon where the needle hits, you'll get one or the other.
Waskel
Posted 2006-12-26 11:14 PM (#225054 - in reply to #225041)

"Matching Tie and Handkerchief"
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-12-26 11:19 PM (#225055 - in reply to #225041)

That's it Waskel!
Waskel
Posted 2006-12-27 9:06 AM (#225056 - in reply to #225041)

Not their best, but still very funny. I had the original pressing on Arista - loved to watch people's reactions when I played side two, then restarted it and completely different material played.
Even better when they actually looked at the disk (both sides were labeled (side two).
stephent28
Posted 2006-12-27 10:10 AM (#225057 - in reply to #225041)

I had an album that started in the center and worked it's way out.

Sigh.....I miss that stuff with CD's. Album sleeves, covers, dual tracks depending on the needle, reverse tracking, etc....
cliff
Posted 2006-12-27 11:47 AM (#225058 - in reply to #225041)

Okay, try THIS:

Take the Atlanta Rhythm Aces' song "Imaginary Lover" (sorry, don't remember the LP title) and play it at 45rpm's instead 33 1/3.

It becomes Fleetwood Mac (repleat with Stevie Nicks on vocals)!!!

I heard a DJ accidentally do it on the radio.
When people started calling in about the new FleetwoodMac "cover", he realized his mistake (and then intentionally played it AGAIN on the air).

Of course, you actually NEED a turntable, and a somewhat extensive LP collection for this little experiment, but . . . .

. . . it DOES sound pretty freaky.

(of course, y'could probably accomplish this on a computer, as well)
Weaser P
Posted 2006-12-27 1:07 PM (#225059 - in reply to #225041)

That was Atlanta Rhythm Sections' Champagne Jam . Just one of the very good albums by that band.
Waskel
Posted 2006-12-27 3:36 PM (#225060 - in reply to #225041)

Yup. What Weas said.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)