The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT: my luthier Brett opened his own shop..

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2006-12-27 12:00 PM (#224922)
Subject: OT: my luthier Brett opened his own shop..

He builds great neck-through and sculpted set-neck solid-bodies and also carved tops and archtops... he highly modded and tricked out the prototype for me.. and has done all my set-ups and upgrade work for years now(was Howie's luthier/tech).

you can check out some of his work, guitars, and shop tour here: SpillersCustoms

he's doing the body finishes/paint for the ViperIII(staying natural high-gloss), and the UKXII(being done blueburst) matching the Bluebird headstock.

the ViperIII will have all gold hardware and gold tv jones alnico filtertrons using Gretsch wiring harness. may switch it to a H-S-H configuration and into a 3 pickup using one of the Storm pickups with a 5-way down the road.

the UKXII is being set-up the same way using Chrome hardware and filtertrons.. the harnesses are oem Gretsch 1962 6122 country gentleman with tone switch and standby switch... should be bright and jangly... just like George Harrison's

all the parts are ordered and paid for.. Glad Al's buying the Viper when it's done.. these 2 were spensive to build.. but it's a lot of fun and only sometimes frustrating.

anway, check out Brett's site if you care to.. I just got off the phone with him, some more new guitars and pictures will be up in a day or two.

SpillersCustoms

Have a happy and safe holiday season all!!

Glenn
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2006-12-27 2:00 PM (#224923 - in reply to #224922)
Subject: Re: OT: my luthier Brett opened his own shop..

Beautiful stuff. Look at the inlay on the Luke, and the racing stripes on the front are cool too.
Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2006-12-27 2:09 PM (#224924 - in reply to #224922)
Subject: Re: OT: my luthier Brett opened his own shop..

he doesn't show the sculpting/carving on the back of the Shana in the previews but you can see it in the shop tour...

I knew her when she was just a bunch of boards.. very nice.

He's a good guy, local working musician, and all in all a good friend...

tends to burn the candle at both ends and party pretty hard(he's only 25 or 26)... so sometimes jobs take a little longer than quoted, but considering his level of work and skill..

I'll settle for sometimes late.

Glenn
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)