The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Amplifying my ovation L (for left) CS247

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

dqjc
Posted 2006-12-28 12:29 PM (#224854)
Subject: Amplifying my ovation L (for left) CS247

Hello to all.....i'm new here (and to any forums for that matter). I have the above mentioned instrument and love it!
However, i have played live (to friends etc) initially through an amp (urghh!!) and yesterday via 'any old mic i could find' into the amp. Mic wins hands down but still relatively poor. Any starters for me anyone???
Ta
dq
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2006-12-28 1:03 PM (#224855 - in reply to #224854)
Subject: Re: Amplifying my ovation L (for left) CS247

Is the amp an acoustic amp or made for electric guitar?
wilblee
Posted 2006-12-28 1:28 PM (#224856 - in reply to #224854)

First of all, let me say that I'm gonna list my recommendations on this here thread, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that there is a lotta good stuff on some other threads on this board. That being said, here we go...

Not knowing your budget, I'll list all my favorites.

1. (with a bullet) The Bose Personal Amp System. I love it, love it, love it. On the other hand it costs $2G, with the bass unit (and ya gotta have the bass unit). Despite its price I got one of these. There's just nothing I found that I like better than this. It has a bunch of inputs and outputs, but no built in effects. It's one true drawback, IMHO. A little reverb for vocals would have been a thoughtful touch, but then there's that sound. Aaaahhhh.
2. Fishman Loudbox Performer. At $800 it's a great sounding acoustic amp for considerably less than the Bose. Still pricey for most folks, but playing one makes everything else (that I've tried, save the Bose) sound unsatisfactory.
3. Marshall AS100D. My acoustic amp for years until I got the Bose. The most versatile of the amps listed here. 3 channels, one of which is strictly insrument, one strictly mic, one can be either. On top of that you have a stereo line input and a stereo effects loop. It also has built in digital effects (lots'a reverbs, delay, tremelo,chorus, flange, and combinations) It;s been around the block more than a couple of times and is still plugging away (for my son now).
4. Roland AC60. Great little amp. Not as versatile as the others, it's also not as expensive and is a heck of a lot easier to carry. Also makes a great monitor amp. You can plug in a mic, too and it has some built in effects.

Others will have other recommendations (oh yes, they will have other recs), but these are, in my humble, yet accurate, opinion, the best out there.

--bill
an4340
Posted 2006-12-28 1:34 PM (#224857 - in reply to #224854)

Big DQ,
You want to make sure the amp is "tuned" for acoustics. It could be a PA / Keyboard amp like a 10watt MS101 yamaha which is generic, to a specifically "tuned" combo, or one of those fender PA systems. You gotta provide more info.
Capo Guy
Posted 2006-12-29 4:50 PM (#224858 - in reply to #224854)

I have a Roland AC 60.

Light weight,enough power for most applications,reverb & chorus.

I have several different kinds of Ovations a couple of Martins. Every one of them sounds excellent through this amp.

OK I'll get off the soapbox. :D
Piers
Posted 2006-12-30 1:00 PM (#224859 - in reply to #224854)

Have a look at the AER 60, the Fishman Loudbox and the Marshall AS 50 and 100D. Only problem is that all these amps are not cheap, but they will all sound good. Buy Guitarist Magerzine for your best local deals, but do try it out before you buy. I was blown away by the the AER 60, but at £570 - £599, it is not cheap.
First Alternate
Posted 2006-12-31 9:11 AM (#224860 - in reply to #224854)

Originally posted by wilblee:

1. (with a bullet) The Bose Personal Amp System. I love it, love it, love it. On the other hand it costs $2G, with the bass unit
Yeah, but so what? We easily plunk down close to $2K for a good guitar but try to cheap out on the PA. Were I to continue to play solo gigs (which is in serious doubt) I wouldn't hesitate.
wilblee
Posted 2006-12-31 5:14 PM (#224861 - in reply to #224854)

I'm with ya, FA, I bought it even though I couldn't get any sort of discount off the MAP and don't regret a penny of it. But I don't believe my man, dqjc, paid $2K for his CS247 (at least I hope he didn't) so that made the price tag an "on the other hand" thing.

But I am with you. My philosophy is this, spend as much as you responsibly can (definition of responsible is up to you) and get what you want. I find that I regret "settling" sooner and for longer, than ever I do the money spent on getting just the thing I wanted.

And that is ever so true with amps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)