The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Love

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2001-12-16 11:43 AM (#224531)
Subject: Ovation Love

Hi Folks,
Thought I would start with a story on how I began collecting Ovation solid-body guitars.
It started in 1975 when I picked out an Ovation Matrix (factory second) at River's Music in Middletown CT, to take to college. Almost 27 years later, I still have this guitar, and it still plays fine. And yes, you CAN wear down the frets on an aluminum neck!!!
I joined the Navy in 1977 and whilst in Pensacola Florida, I decided to get plugged-in. I had tried out a Deacon many times, played thru a Rockman, but due to budget brought home a Viper instead. I still have this guitar also, although it had many mods over the years, and currently has a Kahler trem and a Carvin M22 in the bridge.
I guess I actually started "collecting" Ovations around 1990, when I was getting out of the Navy and living in VA. I found 5 at once at a pawn shop, and picked them up at a good price. I thought about collecting them, and realized the prices where reasonable, so started checking around.
I made some calls and eventually met up with Alex of www.lostartvintage.com. I also talked to a few folks at Ovation who assisted in tracking down parts. Then www.ebay.com happened.
The rest is pretty much a blur. I now have over 75 solid-body and Storm series Ovations. The key to my collection, is that most are in excellent condition, and are as they were sold from the factory (no mods). You might be surprised to know that I have very few duplicates!!! Yes, there were a ton of Ovation solid-bodies made, and I don't mean just in different colors.
As an example... take the simple "Viper" or the "poor man's Les Paul" as it was referred too.
There was the standard Viper, then later the Viper III and the Viper 12-String, and a Viper bass (yes a solid-body bass). Then, there are two different bridge styles for the standard Viper, bringing it up to 5 Vipers. Apply this same basic trend to Breadwinners, Deacons, Preachers and the Storm Series. Add in, the Ultra GS's and Ultra GP, UKII, and PF22 and it adds up. I'm working on a website www.baronaudio.com/collection to share these great guitars.

Well that's all for now. Would love to hear stories from other folks.
Miles
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)