The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Custom Legend Limited

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Custom Legend LTD
Posted 2002-02-07 3:39 AM (#224414)
Subject: Custom Legend Limited

Hello All!

I have a Custom Legend Limited, it was purchased in Dayton Ohio (Drinking Gourd Guitars, closed now) in '90. It is a Custom Legend but with additional Abalone Shell Binding around the entire fretboard. Really compliments the Abalone Binding-Purfling around the body very well. Anyway, I was told when I purchased this guitar that Ovation made only a few of these for the Japanese market and this particular one stayed here in the U.S. To me, it is one of the best wood topped Ovations I've ever heard and rivals my Adamas II. What I'm asking is if anyone here knows anything about these particular guitars? It's model designation is "N1769", the "N" referring to Nagoka. It is a N1769-4. This guitar along with my '72 Pacemaker are the two guitars (acoustic) that will have to be pried from my cold dead hands after I die. Thanks in advance. BTW, this site is what I've been yearning! Ovation Fans of the World, UNITE!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
samova
Posted 2002-02-07 7:10 AM (#224415 - in reply to #224414)
Subject: Re: Custom Legend Limited

I had one as well a few years ago.It is a guitar that i regret selling..I understood it was a Custom,Custom legend or thats what i was told by the factory..Mine had the inlays all around the binding on the fingerboard as well..It was a deep bowl,cutaway,natural finish with AAA spruce top and mint.It did not have the "N" designation in the model nunber.I beleave it was a custom made piece for the U.S....I know they made very few of those and i spotted it at a guitar.A guy had walked it in the door and was trying to sell it at the show.The dealers were all low balling him so he left the show.I sopke with him and got his phone number..Few days later,i bought it from him...I should have never have sold that guitar.
alpep
Posted 2002-02-07 1:46 PM (#224416 - in reply to #224414)

It is my understanding that Jimi Nakao is the importer of Ovation guitars into Japan. The standards for these guitars are very high and the ornamentation is often different to appeal to the taste of the market.
Custom Legend LTD
Posted 2002-02-07 3:11 PM (#224417 - in reply to #224414)

Thanks Samova and Alpep,

Nakao is exactly right. Don't know why I said Nagoka. Anyway, this one does indeed have "N1769-4" as it's model# and it is at least a AAA Top. As for the Abalone Purfling, it just sets off the ebony fretboard! Deep Bowl (Brown) and a very convincingly balanced tone. No tinny and No boominess to it. Great acoustic quality unplugged and tremendous plugged in. Thanks you guys for kicking in so fast! You guys ROCK! Thanks again!
Beal
Posted 2002-02-07 7:19 PM (#224418 - in reply to #224414)

Sam, yours sounds like a one off custom. The others were made for Nakao, hence the N in the model number and there was a round hole and elite style, ask the factory how many. Not alot. Not all made it to Japan.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)