The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
GTM - 6 MIDI Converter

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-02-11 11:51 AM (#224295)
Subject: GTM - 6 MIDI Converter

I guess this was to me the "next generatoin" Condor, but I know little about it. I have one, and it sounds cool, but I can only listen to the demo it produces as it appearently takes a special pickup?? Does anyone know anything about these units?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-02-11 2:28 PM (#224296 - in reply to #224295)
Subject: Re: GTM - 6 MIDI Converter

I'm pretty sure that the GTM-6 converter unit was actually manufactured by Shadow in Germany, who had a few midi converters/guitar synths out in the late 80's. If memory serves there was 2 versions, one with onboard sounds & another which was a pitch to midi converter only & required an external tone module. They were pre-General Midi. They were pretty good by all acounts but seemed to get overshadowed (no pun intended) by Roland's systems (Didn't Ovation produce some GK2-equipped, Roland-ready acoustics a few years ago?) I think the pickup was a standard Ovation bridge unit wired to output each string individualy. Shadow currently market an add on pickup which looks remarkably like an Ovation & do (or did) a six-way hexaphonic version of it also. I have some Shadow literature on the Midi converters somewhere, I'll try to hunt it out.
There's some info on these systems here
http://home.epix.net/~joelc/rmc.html
and here
http://jpsongs.com/troubadortech/mgtr.htm#discon

Paul

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-02-11 9:35 PM (#224297 - in reply to #224295)

Is Shadow still in existance??
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-02-12 7:47 AM (#224298 - in reply to #224295)

Shadow are still in businesss, they make pickups of all kinds for just about every instrument you could imagine.Their pickups are quite popular in the UK & Europe, though the USA Baggs & Fishman systems are more common. The even made a range of guitars at one point. Try www.shadow-pickups.com
though this apears to be the USA distributor rather than the manufacturer. I have some shadow promo stuff somewhere. I'll get an address for them for you as sooon as I find it.

Paul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)