The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Acoustic Transducers

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Jeff Williams
Posted 2002-02-18 11:59 AM (#224245)
Subject: Acoustic Transducers

Hi, was referred to your site by Matt Smith.

I have a 1974 Custom Legend that was purchased new. Am tired of miking the guitar in order to be heard and I'm too attached to it to sell it, so I'm thinking about adding a transducer. What are your thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2002-02-18 1:27 PM (#224246 - in reply to #224245)
Subject: Re: Acoustic Transducers

I have one of the lace sensor acoustic soundhole pickups that I love so much I was considering installing permanently in my 6 martin d 35. you may want to give them a try.
I used a dean markley sound hole pickup and was never really satisfied In the old days I would use the dearmond soundhole pickup which I still think is better then some of the stuff out there today. Of course you can always put one of those bridge saddle pickups in it and use an external preamp.
tons of options maybe give a little more info into what you are looking to do and the application.
Beal
Posted 2002-02-18 2:07 PM (#224247 - in reply to #224245)

I always liked the Fishbreath thinlines that fit under the saddle. Get one of those and run it out through the endpin. Whatever preamps you can do outboard.
Jeff Williams
Posted 2002-02-18 4:15 PM (#224248 - in reply to #224245)

Thanks for the replies. A guitar tech. is recommending a Fishman Matrix II for under the bridge. He says he'll have to drill a hole in the bowl for the jack though. I'm using a Mesa Boogie Mark I amp with a Les Paul and a Tele for the electric work and am looking for a way to amplify the Ovation and still get as much of the acoustic quality of the instrument as I can. I wouldn't rule out still using a mike for the soundhole along with the amp, but sometimes channels are in short supply and would rather have the mike for vocals.
alpep
Posted 2002-02-18 5:19 PM (#224249 - in reply to #224245)

jeff
if he uses an endpin jack like cwk2 said no hole needed in the bowl
I know you probably love this guitar but why not buy another one for the acoustic work. the modern ovation preamps are stellar all you have to do is plug it in and you will get a great sound with little tweaking.
It has been my experience that the fishman stuff takes more tweaking till they sound good. Ovations are plug and play
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-02-18 5:57 PM (#224250 - in reply to #224245)

My personal fave transducer is the LR Baggs LB6, where the pickup elements are an integral part of the saddle, rather than an under-saddle. One of the reasons I like the Ovation pickup is that the string to string balance is absolutely consistent regardless of string-gauge or string tension which is not always the case with undersaddle -types, plus they have good feedback rejection, especialy with that steep, narrow notch on the Optima pre-amp. I find this essential as a fingerstyle acoustic guitarist who needs to be heard over a rhythm section. The LB6 when properly installed is absolutely reliable & consistent in both of these respects.

Paul
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-02-18 6:40 PM (#224251 - in reply to #224245)

For a round-hole guitar I really like the Dean Markley. I have an 'ol Matrix that sounds beautiful with that pickup. But.. only works if you have a round hole to put it in.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)