The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
whats your fav ovation of all time?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

s_mkheidze
Posted 2002-02-25 12:43 PM (#224162)
Subject: whats your fav ovation of all time?

yeah like it says...and why?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-02-25 12:55 PM (#224163 - in reply to #224162)
Subject: Re: whats your fav ovation of all time?

1987 collectors. the looks and it truely was limited production, less than 1000. It sounded pretty good too.
Second chioce is the 1993. The sound and the way it was designed (too long a story to tell here)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-02-26 12:40 AM (#224164 - in reply to #224162)

Wow what a great question....
I wish I had an easy answer.. The key word is "your" as in "MY" favorite Ovation of all time.... For electrics... I like my Viper (or anyone elses..) Tone, ease of play, easy controls, great feel.. For an acoustic.. well it's a toss-up depending on my mood. Either the Redwood collectors I recently purchased which has a great unique tone and plays fantastic... or my Adamas, deep bowl... need I say more. I guess I do need to say more........
My all-time fav (which was the actual question)... has to be my Matrix. I'm sorry... and ya'all stop laughing.. I think it's a Balladeer with an aluminum neck... My parents bought it for me in 1974 or 1975. I totally abused this guitar for at least 10 years straight, before I grew up and decided to take care of it. I mean ABUSE!! I played it on the beaches of Florida and let it sit in the sand all night. It has had g-d knows what spilled on it. It has been slammed around by luggage handlers from the UK to the Philippines. It has been dropped, and it's had stuff drop on it. It's been left unplayed and "TUNED UP" for more than a year... more than once. It was in non-climate controlled storage for 6 months during winter in ALASKA!.
Having said all of that, at the risk of being banned from this club I helped bring to life.. I STILL PLAY THIS GUITAR. It is in great shape still. The neck is still true.. and YES YOU CAN wear the frets on an aluminum neck. There are some finish cracks (It is an Ovation). But the ONLY repairs that ever were done, were replace the bone in the bridge, and I had to re-glue the rosette once. That's it. I take much better care of "Annie" now (yes she is named after the John Denver song). But after 27 years, she still gets taken out in public, and she still can sing.

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: Mr. Ovation ]
samova
Posted 2002-02-26 6:58 AM (#224165 - in reply to #224162)

My all time favorite in the production ovation catagory.....Adamas slotted headstock #57
Simply the best sounding guitars around in my opinion.....

In the collectors series catagory...hands down the 87 collectors.It s is the best looking and best sounding.I totally agree with Bill on this and the 93..they stand out...It does not hurt to get these with the bear claw tops as well.

In the solid body catagory..The ultra GP(cherry sunburst,flame top) ..solid,quality built,sound!! Although i have to mention the 12 string deacon..Probably one of the best 12 string electrics ever.....
Beal
Posted 2002-02-26 7:53 AM (#224166 - in reply to #224162)

Funny thing about the bear claws, I had about 12 of the 87 and 93 made with bear clae tops as a limited within a limited. Those are the best!

I should have had them make some book guitars with bearclaw but didn't. I wanted the 83 to be a bearclaw top but that didn't work out. There were two protos with bc, one nat and one charcoal, I've got the nat but the grey is out there somewhere.
Beal
Posted 2002-02-26 7:55 AM (#224167 - in reply to #224162)

Funny thing about the bear claws, I had about 12 of the 87 and 93 made with bear clae tops as a limited within a limited. Those are the best!

I should have had them make some book guitars with bearclaw but didn't. I wanted the 83 to be a bearclaw top but that didn't work out. There were two protos with bc, one nat and one charcoal, I've got the nat but the grey is out there somewhere.
alpep
Posted 2002-02-26 8:11 AM (#224168 - in reply to #224162)

]
my favorite Ovation. It is the coveted Viplectortone !
This guitar was assembled from a varriety of parts purchased from many sources and has the following characteristics
wood viper body
89 collectors series neck
viper preamp
emg humbucker in the bridge and slanted single coil in the neck schaller tuning gears
coil tap switch for the humbucker on the vol pot
vol/tap and tone pots
5 way selector strat style switch gets you acoustic bridge/ acoustic and HB/ hb/ hband sc/ sc
there is one out put jack so there is not fooling with 2 amps or chords.
this guitar for me is the best of all worlds it has the cool epaulets of the ovations a six in line headstock for easy access to tuning. the great sounding bridge acoustic pickup and pre amp of the viper and emg electric pickups for the duotone vibe. NOt to mention 16 frets clear of the body it is the best combination of acoustic and electric you can go from lead to acoustic with one switch.
I love the inlays on the fingerboard they remind me of the old video game space invaders. when people ask me why it has 89 inlayed on it I say because it was my first score on he video game.
Everyone that sees and plays this thing loves it. although they are kinda taken aback by it.
oh yeah the name vip for viper lector for 89 collectors and tone for duotone viplecortone.
Yes have too much time on my hands.... wait till you see the next one I cook up with lipsick pickups....

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: alpep ]

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: alpep

darc
Posted 2002-02-26 2:42 PM (#224169 - in reply to #224162)

Al, you've gotta be the only kid on the block with one of those.

If you had a shred of decency (did someone say shred?) you could at the very least have found a black pickup cover for that damned EMG. ;)
alpep
Posted 2002-02-26 5:08 PM (#224170 - in reply to #224162)

decency and my name in the same sentance Darc how could you??? I used what I had around and the white pickup was the one.

you played the guitar and I think I am probably the only one on earth that wants one
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-02-26 11:16 PM (#224171 - in reply to #224162)

I don't actually remember that pickup showing up WHITER THAN WHITE in person, as much as it does in the photo. I have noodled the monster too.. and I must say... it's a damn fine geetah.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)