The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
10th Anniversary Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Adamas II
Posted 2002-03-03 11:39 PM (#224112)
Subject: 10th Anniversary Ovation

One of my close friends, and lead vocalist at the time for my band, wanted to get a better acoustic guitar. He had a very old Yamaha that was sentimental, and didn't want to take it out of the house anymore. Of course I steered him toward Ovation, letting him play the ones I own even on stage.

I began a search, as he decided he wanted an Ovation and trusted me to find one. I found a 10th Anniversary model on ebay, in perfect shape, at a good price. A week later it arrived. All it needed was a little polish, new strings, and playing. This guitar has a beautiful sound, and looks great as well.

I have the Ovation Book, which has a small amount of info about this guitar, but does anyone have more in-depth knowledge of this model, or own one? How are they rated in the Ovation "food chain?"
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-03-04 7:45 AM (#224113 - in reply to #224112)
Subject: Re: 10th Anniversary Ovation

Is this the one with the herringbone binding? They were a reverse dark red to light red sunburst (more of a colour fade actually). They were made for about 5 years and towards the end of the run some naturals were made as well. Only a deep noncutaway, probably acoustic and electric versions. Nice guitars. There was a special 9 string made for some guy in Colorado in this configuration, doubles on the G, B, E. The original herringbone came from Michael Gurian by the way who also made wonderful guitars in New Hampshire
Adamas II
Posted 2002-03-04 2:49 PM (#224114 - in reply to #224112)

Yes, it has the herringbone trim. It is a natural finish. Sounds just beautiful. The top is very nice. I will try to get the serial # from him. Thanks for the info.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-03-04 5:30 PM (#224115 - in reply to #224112)

Bill, Michael Gurian was a great luthier, I've owned a couple of his guitars. He did some really innovative stuff for the time, like his neck joint, which a few other companies have picked up on lately. I heard he'd had some bad luck, a fire in his shop or something. Do you know if he's still in business? Gurian guitars aren't particularly common in the UK but when they turn up they tend to be cheap because few people know what they are. I regret selling mine.

Paul

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
Beal
Posted 2002-03-04 8:02 PM (#224116 - in reply to #224112)

Paul,
The first guitar I ever bought was a Gurian, size 3 rosewood. I've still got it. Great guitars. Michael is in Washington State last I heard. Not making guitars anymore. The first factory burned and he rebuilt only to have the banks forclose on him and auction everything off. I went to it and it was like attending a good friend's wake with him there. I've still got a bag of picks.
He was making fret files for a while and still might be doing this. A real good guy who didn't deserve the cards he was dealt.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)