The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
adamas tech question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

alpep
Posted 2002-03-05 2:55 PM (#224094)
Subject: adamas tech question

I just sold an smt adamas today and the customer asked about the low impedance jack. I know that you need to have a dummy 1/4 inch jack to use it or use the official ovation adamas cable, I assume that this is to activate the battery for the preamp. does anyone know for sure? it seems like maybe a beter system can be used? any thoughts?????
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-03-05 3:25 PM (#224095 - in reply to #224094)
Subject: Re: adamas tech question

It is definately a special cable to use, and the one supplied is not very long. The idea is I guess, that you use the initial cable from the guitar to another cable as an extention. I think one of the pins is shorted or something, but I can go spec it out if someone doesn't post the specs for the cable here.
My question is why this route? Most gear today has phantom power? Or at the very least, there are "switchable" xlr jacks that trip when something is plugged in... better yet, what about go lo-imp but with a Tip Ring Sleeve configuration... and those are switchable also... It seems like any of these ideas, is better than the "proprietary cable" syndrom and the stigma that goes with it.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-03-05 5:54 PM (#224096 - in reply to #224094)

I have an SMT & there is no "special" cable required, any correctly wired xlr-xlr works. The preamp operates on phantom power just like a condenser mike or active DI. I use the guitar regularly like this in my studio. When used on phantom power the usual 9v battery is only required for the onboard tuner.

Paul
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-03-05 6:00 PM (#224097 - in reply to #224094)

Hmmmm me thinks there are two versions then. A little over a year ago when I got mine, I had this "problem" where the pre-amp would only stay on as long as the tuner. I tried using phantom which didn't work, and finally Al called the factory. Sure enough, there is a special cable, and as soon as I plugged it in... presto!!!

Hmmmm the plot thickens..
Miles
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-03-05 6:24 PM (#224098 - in reply to #224094)

If I'm reading the Optima manual correctly it would appear that that an activation plug is required if you intend to go from the XLR to a jack, as phantom power cannot be supplied to the circiutry in this manner. The preamp will operate on phantom power with any standard xlr-xlr. (the tuner will require a battery either way) There also appears to be some kind of propriety "activation cable" for balanced xlr-xlr mixer inputs which are unable to supply phantom.

Paul

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-03-05 11:22 PM (#224099 - in reply to #224094)

I'm glad someone reads directions... I thought that was just extra packing material.. :) Thanks for the clarification, and now that you mention it, I do have the "activation plug" which I forgot about.
Miles
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-03-06 5:49 AM (#224100 - in reply to #224094)

As I always say to my recording students, "If in doubt RTFM!"

Paul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)