The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
pinnacle series

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

musicamex
Posted 2002-03-15 1:45 PM (#223858)
Subject: pinnacle series

can anyone tell me what is distinguishing about the pinnacle series? i bought a beautiful flamed 12 string on e bay (yet to arrive here in mexico). and would like to know what this run of guitars was designed to accomplish. i understand from the seller that it was made in japan, but he couldn't tell me what the flamed top was or much else than had low action and fanastic sound plugged in. i have had a few japanese guitars that were very well made albeit heavily built. had i found this site first i could have asked for advice. now i need info since i own it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-03-15 7:10 PM (#223859 - in reply to #223858)
Subject: Re: pinnacle series

The pinnacle started at Takamine. The sales VP said lets call the seried the Titlest series. I said no that's funny, lets use Pinnacle and he said OK. (You got to be a golfer to get it) He wasn't and didn't.
As it turns out Takamine means high mountain peak. From their factory you can see the top of Takamine Mountain so it works that way too.
It switched to the Morris factory and is probably still made there. They have a flame sycamour top that is great looking. Not sure if that's what you got or if it's maple. I'm not familiar with the models anymore.

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: cwk2 ]
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-16 12:15 PM (#223860 - in reply to #223858)

thanks bill,

that mountain description goes well with the photos of that guitar. it is beautiful.

how did ovation feel about the quailty? was it a limited series? what can you tell me about the tops as to the veneer and number of plys etc. i will undoubtedly play this plugged in all the time so a good stable ply top doesn't bother me a bit. how about the electronics etc?

thanks amigo russ
Beal
Posted 2002-03-16 4:33 PM (#223861 - in reply to #223858)

Ply tops are always three layers, each about 1/32 thick. Total thickness about .100" Ovation solid tops are (at least they were, not sure now) tapered in the sander, .140 at the neck end to .110 at the lower bout.
Kaman has a minority share in Tak and have known them for years. Quality was never an issue. Moridira (the Morris factory) has been making guitars forever and were the only ones for years to make Ovation copies which we kept out of the US by our trademarks. I got to know Toshio Moridaira through Jim Dunlop and have spent MANY hours on the golf course with these fine gentlemen. When Tak got too busy it made sence to switch to Toshio's factory, hell he'd been building roundbacks for 20 years! Quality wasn't really an issue there either
Beal
Posted 2002-03-16 4:35 PM (#223862 - in reply to #223858)

It wasn't limited, it was ongoing and I guess it still is? We were trying to have a guitar between the Celebrity and the balladeer price point.
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-17 1:32 AM (#223863 - in reply to #223858)

what were the other plys made from bill. is there a special glue and process that worked the best to retain decent tonal guality. i assume the grain in the plys crossed at a specific angle for best tone too. do any of the ply tops ever achieve solid wood tone quality? russ
Beal
Posted 2002-03-17 3:21 PM (#223864 - in reply to #223858)

ply is never as good as solid but sometimes close.
Plys are top and bottom with the strings and middle 90 to it
Don't know about the glue
I think they usespruce or something close to that
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)