The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Classical neck adjustment

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-03-20 9:31 PM (#223725)
Subject: Classical neck adjustment

I've got a 14 year old Ovation Classical that has very high action. I've tried removing shims and adjusting the truss rod, but can't get a clean sound with lower action.
I called and talked with Kim at Ovation. He says that the guy who designed the neck / bowl connection (if I understood him correctly) does a think where he removes the neck, heats up the bowl, and actually bends the bowl to the needed angle to improve the action on the guitar.
Has anybody heard of this or had it done?
If I was smart, I'd sell the guitar on ebay. I've got an 83 Country Artist c/w that I mostly play and love, but I haven't figured out yet how to emotionally sell a guitar.
Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-03-21 4:03 PM (#223726 - in reply to #223725)
Subject: Re: Classical neck adjustment

If it has a cloth bowl there is a way to heat the bowl and bend it all back and let it cool and it fixes the neck angle. NOT TO BE DONE WITHOUT PARENTAL SUPERVISION. The neck doesn't have to come off, just heat, bend, cool there you go.

In reference to the thread about bowls; the cloth with the resign could be reheated and reshaped. The SMC is like an egg, once it's cooked, it's cooked.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-03-21 5:05 PM (#223727 - in reply to #223725)

This guitar was built in about 1988 so I'm guessing that it's not a cloth bowl. Kim seemed pretty certain that they could do something tho'.
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-21 6:19 PM (#223728 - in reply to #223725)

bill
so the smc bowls were a resin/catalyst system like we use for grp layups on boats, or was it strictly a heat cured resin? some of the modern layups are amazing that use kevlar cloth and carbon fiber cloth. i really would have liked to see that cloth bowl process up close and personal. ive got sone triaxial cloth that would be fun to experiment with for a guitartop. strong tight weave stuff for high glass to resin layups with minimum layering necessary.
Beal
Posted 2002-03-21 8:07 PM (#223729 - in reply to #223725)

A cloth bowl would have a wooden heel block inside the bowl. The SMC have mold lines.
SMC is the same stuff they make the covers of xerox machines from. It is cures in a 350 degree press at 180-190 tons pressure. Takes 2 minutes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)