The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
collector series 1996

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

stuart_guitar
Posted 2002-03-21 6:30 AM (#223718)
Subject: collector series 1996

I have an ovation guitar from the collector serie 1996, I really love playing this guitar.
Best guitar I have ever played on.
Great sound and great looks, but that's my opinion!
Does anyone also have a guitar from this serie?
If so, what is your opinion on this guitar.

http://www.geocities.com/stuart_guitar/
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-03-21 9:02 AM (#223719 - in reply to #223718)
Subject: Re: collector series 1996

Great Guitar. I really liked the pearl binding, gives it a distinct look as opposed to abalone. The 30th anniversary of the Big O. This was one of the first to go back to the inliad rosette I think.
Enjoy it!
old 12-bar
Posted 2002-03-21 1:03 PM (#223720 - in reply to #223718)

I've got one! Ive had about it 4-5 years. It was the first "good" guitar that I've bought. I purchased it as NOS at SamAsh in Coral Springs, Florida.

I'd say that buying and playing this guitar is responsibile for me becoming serious about learning to play (after having owned an EKO 12-string for about 25 years and an entry level Fender flat top for more than 7 years).

I've posted a couple of questions about this guitar on the bulletin board previously. See "sharpe frets" (much discussion resulted on this topic) and "Hexfex" (no responses so far)maybe if I had spelled it correctly (HexFx) I'd have had better luck. Just joking.. I see that there is a current thread now discussing the stereo topic.

Overall I'll conclude by saying I can live with the fret issue, I love the guitar. I use the stereo feature whenever I plug-in (through two Fender Blues Jr. Amps). I like it so much I almost bid on another of one of these on E-bay recently but decided I'd get something different instead of having two of the same model.

Buying this one is the reason I later bought an 1868 Elite (which I like even more because of the VEE shaped neck).

Good luck with yours! By the way, how well are the fret edges finished on yours? I'm not gonna start filing on mine and risk spoiling the mother of pearl inlays that run the length of the neck.
stuart_guitar
Posted 2002-03-22 3:58 AM (#223721 - in reply to #223718)

I still have not read your topics, but I'm going to.
The fret edges are finished good on mine.
I have also a question.
When I look over the spruce top, (from the site, not from front)I can see were the A-shaped bracings are positioned! Do you see it also on top of your guitar?
old 12-bar
Posted 2002-03-25 11:40 AM (#223722 - in reply to #223718)

Yep, mine has those waves. If the finish was a semi-gloss instead of the mirror finish I don't think it would be noticeable. Have you used the Hexfx stereo features yet? I'm running my through two seperate tube amps.
stuart_guitar
Posted 2002-03-27 6:44 AM (#223723 - in reply to #223718)

Old 12-bar, I didn't use the hexfx jet,
I have only one amp.
Maybe you can look at my posting about amps and give my some advise.
What's your experience on the hexfx?
old 12-bar
Posted 2002-03-27 7:14 AM (#223724 - in reply to #223718)

The pre-amp has a number of interesting stereo features, all accessed through the pushbuttons. The 2/3 button send the two base strings to one channel and the four treble strings to the other channel (I don't use this one much). The 3/3 button splits the output in the same manner, E A D to one amp, G B E to the other amp (cool for picking a running bass line on top of cords). Then there is the ALT (alternate string) button which splits the signal on every other string. The PAN which spreads the signal out between the two amps sending the low end and middle to one amp and the middle and high end to the other amp (I like this one a lot), The last button has a name for it's effect (which I can't recall) but it produces a modulation of the signal. by pushing it a second time you speed up the rate of modulation. Also you have an equalizer defeat button. And a "mid shift" button that changes the "voice" of the guitar.

As far as amps go I need some guidance myself. I'm only a hobbyist (I have no natural musical talent). But I love music and musical instruments.
I was origionally playing this guitar through a Peavy Audition 110 solid state amp (because that's what I had). I felt that it sounded great. Then I got a Strat, that led to getting a Fender Blues Jr. tube amp. My ovations sounded even better thru the tube amp. I kept thinking "acoustic guitar, I must need an acoustic amp" but when I took my Ovation to the music store amd tried it with various "Acoustic Amps" the sound just didn't do anything for me.

However I only play Blues and love that slightly overdriven sustain that comes with the tube amp. If I could play other styles of guitar, a good acoustic amp would be more of a necessity for me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)