The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
stereo/ mono ovations

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

musicamex
Posted 2002-03-21 8:38 AM (#223711)
Subject: stereo/ mono ovations

i have a couple of ovations with stereo/mono outputs. niether had the original cords i understand were supplied with the guitars. i discovered that the stereo jack puts out every other string on a mono cord, by accident the other night. i knew something was wrong as i was only making half as many mistakes.

anyway, what is the scoop on this setup, and how should i hook this up, so the stereo output does what it was designed to do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-03-21 8:42 AM (#223712 - in reply to #223711)
Subject: Re: stereo/ mono ovations

Russ,
Get a sterio cord and plug it into two amps or two channels of the PA. What the endorsees always used to do was put some tape over the sterio hole so the roadies wouldn't plug it in there by mistake.
Those are your two options
alpep
Posted 2002-03-21 9:12 AM (#223713 - in reply to #223711)

does anyone ever really use their guitar in stereo????? I mean aside from say jimmy webster.....and if you know who that is you will understand.
I have NEVER used a guitar in stereo find it pointless and useless and cannot figure out for the life of me why you would want to do it.
Ok if you are a pop star and have a killer pa etc etc etc it would be kinda cool to separate the sound but I find it highly impractical to use this feature and figure that is why it has sorta faded away.
any thoughts?
musicamex
Posted 2002-03-21 9:12 AM (#223714 - in reply to #223711)

i might have to stick with the tape option, bill, as we are usually scrambling for channels at the club i play in. we always have musicians vacationing here that are invited to play if they want to, and they always do. the club owner, philo hayward, often says "get out the cameras, 'cause you aren't going see this again".

i might experiment though with the stereo for a set i do with a local musician/songwriter. 2 acoustic guitars, bass and drums. so i need a cord with a stereo jack on the guitar end that splits to two monos? THAT will be an interesting request at the local music store. i had em crowded around me the time i took in an ovation to show them. the store literally stopped selling until i left. "ees jus like a turtle weeth streengs on the belly" russ
Beal
Posted 2002-03-21 9:59 AM (#223715 - in reply to #223711)

The only thing that sounded good was the way James Taylor wanted it. He wanted the sterio on the 3 bass and 3 treble strings. He then ran a two channel amp and ran the bass straight and the treble through a chorus. The way he fingerpicks it sounded great. The whole sterio thing was really done because one of the engineers said "Hey we can do this" Whether it was wanted was never considered.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-03-21 11:48 AM (#223716 - in reply to #223711)

I assume the stereo Preacher and such were spliting the pickups left and right. Anyway, I used to run stereo and set two amps up, one for the bridge pickup, with distortion and chorus, one for the neck pretty clean.

Eventually got bored setting up this way, and went to two amps set as above, but just split the one signal using the Boss Chorus Ensemble. That way with the stomp of a couple of bypass switches I could go from an almost acoustic finger-picking sound to a fat, stereo, crunch and shred.... and of course everything in between...

I eventually just stuck a rockman x-100 between two amps and played like that for years...
Beal
Posted 2002-03-21 12:03 PM (#223717 - in reply to #223711)

Sterio electrics usually are front pickup/ back pickup. The Ovation was EGA/BDE. An OK effect but you get tired of it. Ont thing I did once that worked great was on a 12 srting for Marl O'Connor. It was a 12 string and the split was the regular string/ the octive string. That was nice.
The problem is that there was always cross talk of the chrystals and the 12 were so small and close that it created some problems.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)